Danne's crop_rec_4k, 5DIII

Started by Danne, November 09, 2018, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Centre while recording better. Also if holding down halfshutter. X10 zoom follows its own protocol.

garry23

@Danne

Started playing around with your latest 5D3 build, with the frame stop feature, but this build is clearly different to the experimental download version that runs.

First, my script doesn't run, but that is not the issue.

I set an exposure of 0.8s.

I have expo sim and override on.

I switch on crop FLV.

I switch on RAW video.

I switch FPS on and to 1 fps.

But, unlike with the experimental build, I don't get a LV image and more critically the shutter switches to 1/33.

Not looking for help/answer, just giving update at the moment.

Danne

I get full range shutter when set so cannot reproduce what you are doing.
Anyway. Would help if you narrow down what works first then focus the bad new at the bottom of the list. Meaning. Is frame burst acting like it should when not moving fps override and such? Then give specifics of what happens when fps override is on. Do you turn off audio by the way? FLV do not like audio on etc.

Are we testing frame burst?:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg223648#msg223648

Also check here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg223238#msg223238

Also, if you are not getting a liveview image I doubt you are in framing mode. So I would say there´s a lot more to exercise around movie modes here.

garry23

@Danne

It's a mystery  ;)

I've switched back and forth between the Experimental build and your frame burst one.

The experimental one works as expected, ie when I switch from LV to Movie mode the shutter stays at the correct shutter, eg 0.8s if I'm using a 1 FPS.

When I load yours it switches the shutter to 1/33 when I switch from LV to Movie mode.

As I say, I use the same settings for each build.

As I say, a mystery: but I'll keep playing around.

Danne

Hm, I'l have a look later today. I might have messed some with a1ex fps values in crop_rec at some point. Didn't work this branch for a while.
Can you give feedback on the frame burst function itself. Tlapse script as well?

garry23

Frame stopping working great: looking forward to trying that in my script, once I get the shutter fixed.

Danne

I try it here and all works. I need to push canon menu buttons once in a a while and at one time I restarted camera since framing wasn't working but it works. I choose Full-res LiveView then Shutter range to Full range,  FPS override set to Desired fps 1. Then I push canon menu twice and when coming back shutter is fullres 0.8. Disable sound and start recording. Works perfectly...

garry23

garry23

Got it!!!!!!!!!  :)

Quotethen Shutter range to Full range
This was the problem!

Shutter OK, but still can't see mage in LV, even after Menu pushes, ie black/purple diagonal lines fill the image.

I'll carry on playing around.

Thanks for your support.

BTW rather strangely the File Manager viewing of MLVs doesn't seem to work with your build, I get an "Allocation Failed" message. Not a priority for me.

Danne

Did you select framing under RAW video? If still not working simply restart.
What's working or not can't be determined by one preset selected tests. Please try other presets with file manager as well. Still trouble? Maybe you were lucky on the other build?
Edit: also note that adtg_gui should never be enabled if not in use. It kills framing for instance.

garry23

UPDATE 29-Dec-2019

See https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24663.msg223841#msg223841

@Danne

Have spent most of the day switching between your build and the experimental page version.

I have assured myself that the settings are the same each time, eg shutter at 0.8s and an FPS of 1.

With the experimental build I can always see a stable LV image in movie mode.

In your version I mostly see a solid black & purple image. No amount of switching the menu on and off fixes this. Occasionally the image from the non Movie LV mode transfers to move mode, but freezes.

The perfect world for me would be the experimental build with your framing feature   ;)

But then again, we don't live in a perfect world  :)

Danne

I see. I would need your SETTINGS folder or a printscreen showing your settings in RAW video menu and in Movie tab to be able to see what's going on. Too many variables will go wrong otherwise. It works here, what can I say.
Edit: also what modules do you have enabled?

GullRaDriel

Thanks Danne for the hard work.

I updated my repos and it just built fine.

More testings tomorrow, have good end of year :-)

Danne

Yes. Lots of changes. Rearranged menus and modules enabled from start and a few other things...

koopg

just download an tested crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Dec30.5D3123.zip
5d mark 3
version 1.2.3

I am really impressed.

my 'C' days are over long ago, (I do python as a qa automation developer)
I never was a videographer, only stills.
my English should get better
and when reading here I can understand one every two sentences
so please forgive me in advanced

the only issue
experimentals and your build from April (I belive) as well gave me an option to set live view and when pressing '*' I could frame my shot
it worked on all profiles. however on this build when pressed I get a x10 zoom which will not go away after release, and if I pressed many times on '*'
and the 'zoom' button It went away but image is broken, ML menue will not open an nothing else is working until restart

thank you so much for this it's all really  amazing that I don't really care if this would be fixed
5k raw video from 5d3, and continueas, and live view ! what else it would shoot rockets to space :)

amazing! !!!!!!!

few questions. . .

what is 'crop rec preview'  should it be on?
why in video menu it say '12 bit' and raw video menue say '14 bit'?
what is 'shutter range' I never sew this. logic tells me variable fps but didn't we had this all ready  ?
what iso is optimal?

and last I do not own anamorphic lenses, I shot my doter using the anamorphic 5k and let mlvapp do its own streaching magic
I don't see distortion and the frames look AMAZING, do I need an eye doctor ?
is it disorted in a way I don't see it ?
what am I missing ? 

Danne

- Set focus aid to OFF for * button and halfshutter working normal way

- Keep 14bit lossless in RAW vide menu. As a workaround you can add 10 or 12 bit in the Movie tab menu for longer recording times. It actually lower analog gain acting 10 or 12bit

- Crop rec preview set to auto mode will select either framing or real time preview but automated depending on what preset chosen. Turn it off if you wish to work manually between presets.

- Yes, anamorphic is a pixelated stretch(I call it anamorphic) but without the need for any anamorphic lenses. You already noticed that Mlv App fixes the upscaling in post just fine. And yes, it´s good.

- Iso climb. Enable i and move joystick up or down for iso control, even while filming

- Shutter range. As it says ORIGINAL will set canon shutter. Full range will allow for much lower shutter speeds. Works with FPS override down to around 0.5s shutter

garry23

@Danne

Quote- Set focus aid to OFF for * button and halfshutter working normal way

When I try this on the 5D3, the halfshutter works normally, but * does nothing, ie no zoom.

Is it me...again ::)

Danne

zoom? You mean focus? Check your manual. Think it should look like this(except the pinks  :P:

garry23

No I meant zoom.

With that feature enabled the image zoom in to x10, I guess, when I do a half shutter press. If I disable that feature, the half shutter returns to normal, but the * doesn't 'zoom in', like the half shutter did. 

Are you saying it shouldn't zoom in, just do an AF?

Danne

Either x10 zoom enabled or the rewired button disabled and then it´s back to canon settings for both halfshutter and ae button.

koopg

I meant something else. not focus and not zoom.
in the experimental buildm my preview was realtime and when press+Hold '*' I get framing preview .
the change you suggested does help with the x10 but not bringing back old method. maybe it was a settings I did some how and don't remember how.
but I can totally live without it.

I made a few more test, and everything work like charm.

this build is the best new year  gift :)
Happy new year

Danne

It should enter framing when pushing halfshutter and set to real time. Will take a look tomorrow. What preset are you using by the way?

GullRaDriel

Everything is working fine so far here.

The crop rec integration is more intuitive this way.

There are a few modes that says preview broken, is it fixable ? What's the cause of it ?

Happy new year BTW

garry23

@Danne

At the risk of annoying you, a quick thought on the focus aid.

Currently, when on pressing * will do a x10 zoom, which stays on until you do a half shutter press.

Doing a half shutter press brings up the x10 zoom, while the half shutter is pressed.

The 'problem' with this approach is that, if one uses the half shutter in a script, as I do, you can't also use the focus aid.

One way round this is if your focus aid only used the * button and that it also toggled the x10 on and off. Thus freeing up the half shutter.

Just a thought and Happy New Year to you.

Cheers

Garry