Danne's crop_rec_4k, 5DIII

Started by Danne, November 09, 2018, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattia

Quote from: dpjpandone on February 21, 2023, 07:02:56 PM
If you don't have two cards in the camera there can be no spanning

Sure but I was expecting a greyed out "spanning" option but there isn't in the menu

Mattia

So, today I had some time to test my "new" 5d3, let's start saying that I'm very much pleased with the quality and the responsiveness of the camera. I only have one question. Everytime I selected any one of the non compressed bit depths in the raw sub menu the liveview froze and I could record only 1 or 2 seconds before the camera stopped. This behaviour happened even with sound recording turned off and every hack and sd overclock turned on, and it was the same with 10, 12 or 14 bit. The "lossless" bith depths, instead, they worked flawlessly and the liveview is very fast even at 3.5k. So, my question is: are my cards too slow for the non compressed bit depths or is it just like that at this development stage?

My cards:
SD: Samsung Pro Plus 256Gb
https://www.amazon.it/Samsung-PRO-Plus-memoria-MB-SD64K/dp/B09D3NFL5X/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2O3OA0IVD6FBJ&keywords=samsung%2Bpro%2Bplus&qid=1677094276&sprefix=Samsung%2Bpro%2B%2Caps%2C203&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1
CF: Lexar Professional 1066x 64Gb
https://www.amazon.it/Lexar-Professional-Scheda-Compact-Velocit%C3%A0/dp/B00ICD3WNY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=PXM1UWDMOWO&keywords=compact+flash+lexar+professional&qid=1677094367&sprefix=lexar+professional+compact%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-3

Yes, "Card Spanning" was always on in every test.

Walter Schulz

Bottom lines of movie screen should tell you required bandwidth.

Mattia

:-[
Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 22, 2023, 08:36:17 PM
Bottom lines of movie screen should tell you required bandwidth.

Of course they do, I just wanted to know what's the experience of someone with cards faster than mine, if he/she can record with uncompressed bit depths and if his/her liveview works.

Mattia

Question for Vastunghia: are the 3.5k liveview and the external monitor image the same or the monitor is even more cropped? What monitor are you using?

vastunghia

Quote from: Mattia on February 23, 2023, 01:36:28 AM
Question for Vastunghia: are the 3.5k liveview and the external monitor image the same or the monitor is even more cropped? What monitor are you using?

Monitor view @3.5k = Real Time LV on LCD screen (which is heavily cropped). DJI RavenEye (with DJI RSC 2).

Ciao
5D3 for video
70D for photo

motionSOUL

Just to be sure, there is no way to get a frame preview on an external monitor in crop mode, right?
Thanks,

S/.

vastunghia

5D3 for video
70D for photo

togg

I wanted to ask, is this version more stable than the last 2018Jul22 croprec build? Particularly regarding bad frames and such.

dtr

I am sure i have missed something obvious but how do you get rid of that annoying crop mode x10 halfshutter "aid" from getting in the way whenever I am about to take an image?

Danne

Enter the crop rec sub menu. Pr the menu at the top, can't remember exactly atm.

Ben_R

Hi Danne and guys!
Some questions about the build:
Im filming with a (real) anamorphic 2x lense, so i got some "strange" requirements:
Centered crop mode is most important to me, since i get vignetting. Is the 3,3k 1:1 x5 centered? the 3,5k preset got "centered" in the name, but i dont really like it since it gives me a way lower vertical resolution.
Also the 3k 1:1 mode gives me the highest vertical resolution (1920 instead of 1836) but square pixel preview is broken, so i cant use the 5x or 10x zoom while filming as a "realtime" focus hack..
any ideas which pre set / maybe even different build would give me the best of all those requirements?
(looking for the highest vertical resolution in a centered crop with the option to use the 5x or 10x zoom while filming)
also i got a question about the 14 bit lossless format: since it says iso <100 recommended: how do i need to understand that? whats the matter with isos over 100?
how does it compare to the 12bit uncompressed?

Thanks for your help!
Best
Ben

HugoMouteira

Question: And sorry if it was already answered. Is sandisk extreme pro 170MB/S and Komputerbay 1055x mandatory for the most effective card spanning i.e. for 5.7k? Because there's a sandisk extreme pro 200MB/S and I cant find any komputerbay 1055x online.

Best regards my dear friends!

Walter Schulz

Not mandatory at all.
And I think you refer to 1066x. There are no 1055x cards.
I think Sandisk Extreme Pro are overpriced. I prefer Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB.

There is a hint slightly slower CF cards result in more balanced write distribution. Not enough data for final word.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26641.msg240244#msg240244

Danne

That could be true. Means a more basic CF and SD card combo might do better or as good as more expensive cards.
At least a sufficient with cheaper sd card if used with a fast cf card.

HugoMouteira

Quote from: Danne on August 26, 2023, 02:55:53 PM
That could be true. Means a more basic CF and SD card combo might do better or as good as more expensive cards.
At least a sufficient with cheaper sd card if used with a fast cf card.

Thats sad. Sandisk extreme pro sd 200MB/S are cheaper than the 170MB/S on amazon theses days  :(

HugoMouteira

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 26, 2023, 01:21:48 PM
Not mandatory at all.
And I think you refer to 1066x. There are no 1055x cards.
I think Sandisk Extreme Pro are overpriced. I prefer Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB.

There is a hint slightly slower CF cards result in more balanced write distribution. Not enough data for final word.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26641.msg240244#msg240244

So you adapt your samsung evoplus microsd qith the adapter. May I ask what is your CF card? And do you reach good writing speed?

dxotic

Hi good people,

I have been a long time user of Magic Lantern, but haven't used it for awhile and downloaded crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2023Feb03.5D3113.zip for my 5D3 and then upgraded my 1.1.3 and noticed that my modules isn't loading,  I do see that the modules loaded :
adtg_gui.mo
bench.mo

but none of the others have loaded. Any clues what could be wrong? I have low level formatted the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32G SD card and cleared all camera settings but as of yet am not able to get it going...

I have used the latest stable version but nothing newer than that.

I had a look at the issues and there was nothing about the modules not loading  i could find. TIA

Walter Schulz

Delete autoexec.bin, ML folder.
Copy extracted build content to card.

Retry.

dxotic

Hi,
Just an update:
I tried copying it again that didn't work, but what actually helped was reformatting slow on the PC then putting the files back on it and then it would work.
I noticed when i did format the card in the camera I was still left with the ML/SETTINGS/MAGIC.CFG file which wasnt erased so I thought i do a low level format on the PC.

So for card spanning , it's best to format it as an EXFAT for both the cards right? Apologies if this has been answered somewhere else as I havent been keeping up and want to try the anamorphic with the lenses I have and Danne's Build TIA

a.sintes

yep, exFAT for both cards.

Note also you may want to download the recently updated Danne's 5D3 packages, including an ultrafast framed preview mode.
It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?

vastunghia

Quote from: dxotic on September 21, 2023, 08:44:57 AM
I noticed when i did format the card in the camera I was still left with the ML/SETTINGS/MAGIC.CFG file which wasnt erased

How come? Always formatted in cam and never happened anything like this to me.

I actually thought that it was better to format in cam than on pc.

Any universally agreed guideline on this?
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Walter Schulz

1) ML active, using default format option = keep ML
- ML will copy autoexec.bin, ML-SETUP.FIR and ML dir (with all content, including ROM dump) into memory. Additionally files needed for Toshiba Flashair firmware are stored, too.
Cam will format card, applying file system, create DCIM and MISC. ML will re-enable boot option flags for card and copy all content back to card.

2) ML active, having Q pressed in format menu = delete ML
- Cam will format card, removing card's boot option settings. Cam will create DCIM and MISC after creating file system.
For some reasons unknown to me ML/SETTINGS will be preserved.

dxotic

I have tried with two Sandisk Extreme Pro 32Gb and 64Gb  SD cards and for the life of me can't see the other modules than the  adtg_gui.mo , bench.mo , cinemato.mo  on the back of the camera. Ive loaded up the latest Danne crop rec 4k build as well as a.sintes ultrafast preview build.
having said that even though I cant see the other modules I have successfully shot RAW at 1880x 2268
As Ive only come back to Magic lantern after a few years I have no idea what other procedures I am missing. I check my cards write and read speeds with Blackmagic Raw Speed test and consistently getting 80mb Write and 85mb Reads

Could someone kindly point out what I can do to make this work better or should I try and older build. Looking forward to learning more

andy kh

Quote from: dxotic on September 25, 2023, 02:58:41 PM
I have tried with two Sandisk Extreme Pro 32Gb and 64Gb  SD cards and for the life of me can't see the other modules than the  adtg_gui.mo , bench.mo , cinemato.mo  on the back of the camera. Ive loaded up the latest Danne crop rec 4k build as well as a.sintes ultrafast preview build.
having said that even though I cant see the other modules I have successfully shot RAW at 1880x 2268
As Ive only come back to Magic lantern after a few years I have no idea what other procedures I am missing. I check my cards write and read speeds with Blackmagic Raw Speed test and consistently getting 80mb Write and 85mb Reads

Could someone kindly point out what I can do to make this work better or should I try and older build. Looking forward to learning more

make a video and share
5D Mark III - 70D