"Overlay" ML menu options are confusing IMO. Cleanup?

Started by Walter Schulz, November 09, 2018, 11:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

There are at least 3 menu items affecting overlay status :
Overlay tab -> "Global Draw" with options "OFF", "LiveView", "QuickReview", "ON", all modes".
Display tab -> "Clear overlays" with options "OFF, "HalfShutter", "WhenIdle", "Always", "Recording".
mlv_rec.mo -> Movie tab -> RAW video (MLV) -> Global Draw" with options "OFF" and "Allow".

I find this to be counterintuitive and it's making tutorials/help texts messy.
Any chance streamlining this?

timbytheriver

+1 I find this one of the most confusing set of options in the menu... :o
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

a1ex

Have a better proposal? Adding yet another option labeled "+1" won't solve anything ;)

Global Draw from MLV menu: guess why this option is missing from MLV Lite ;)

Clear Overlays was meant for external monitors (HDMI recording). I don't use it; should all these options be kept, or can we remove some of them?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: a1ex on November 09, 2018, 12:40:19 PM
Clear Overlays was meant for external monitors (HDMI recording). I don't use it; should all these options be kept, or can we remove some of them?

I'm not taking a pick now. Same situation as yours: Not that much into movie recording, not to speak of external monitors/recorders.
Not comfortable defining use cases in this realm.

Kharak

I use clear overlays - half shutter press all the time.
once you go raw you never go back

reddeercity

What going on here ?
I don't see the need the mess with this , (if it's not broken don't fix it )
I couldn't Live without the external monitoring , whether for Video or Photos ! Yes I said Photo's .
I can get a much better image , it least for me .
The "kill overlays" option is so important to 5d2/d4 cams for performance and clean HDMI output to recorder !
It the Number One best feature About magic lantern . (That's what got me interested in magic lantern from the beginning)
That why I don't like/use mlv_lite ! HDMI is broken so bad that's it's unusable     
Ok is much better  then I though after some latest tests with 10-12bit Experimental build