Magic Lantern's LV DIGIC Peaking

Started by jimslaton, October 29, 2018, 09:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimslaton

I need some help. I have a problem with Magic Lantern on Canon 5D MK II. After a shoot, I noticed that the subject in my video had silver edges added to the parts of his face that was focused well (I was focusing on the subject's eyes). The subject had no makeup on and did not have the silver on his face during the shoot.

I did some testing and I think it could be due to Magic Lantern's "LV DIGIC Peaking" that I had on but I'm not sure. This is the first time that I have used magic lantern and I was using LV DIGIC Peaking to help me focus better during the shoot. After the shoot, I turned LV DIGIC Peaking off and looked at the 3" LCD and it seems like it takes most of the silver edges away but I did not get to test it in the same spot as the shoot so I am not sure. Here is a link to one of the videos showing the silver edges around the subject's eyes: https://youtu.be/d44BDcfRwdo

Does anyone else know what is going on? Is LV DIGIC Peaking suppose to add to the video? Or is it something else that I am missing? Thanks for the help

ted ramasola

Jim try to post on camera specific section and start a thread with 5D MKII on your subject. hopefully reddeercity, one of the guys actively in development of the 5D2 can chime in.
I watched your video and that is quite disturbing as its not supposed to do that unless you are recording externally.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

reddeercity

@jimslaton , need to know more ......
Raw ? h264 ? cam setting , ISO , etc. .... ? App/software used to process files ?
If the file is raw , do you have the .mlv ? can you post a sample , If it's a big file you can shorten with mlv_dump
or other software here on the forum

a1ex

LV DIGIC peaking is never recorded in the video. None of the items in the Display menu are recorded.

Creative Effects, Image Fine-tuning and Vignetting, from the Movie menu, are all recorded in H.264. Best guess: Edge Emphasis (check the Modified menu).

Should I remove this feature to avoid accidental use? In other words, is there anyone actually using it?

Kharak

If he recorded h264 which I suspect he did and also had sharpening to Max, it will give "silver edges".

@alex i have digic peaking + sharpness to max permanently, it is very nice. If you are referring to Edge Emphasis, the gray looking edge thing (sorry dont have camera around), then I personally don't use it as much as I would like to. If it could somehow be set to a custom button for quick toggle between the different digic peaking modes, i would probably use it all the time.

See feature request: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11246.msg112915#msg112915 not sure if this is the same thing you are referring to. 'Edge Image' is the same as Edge Emphasis?
once you go raw you never go back

Lars Steenhoff

NO dont remove it, I use it all the time

thanks

a1ex

Edge Emphasis is in Movie -> Image fine-tuning. In the feature matrix, it's under IMAGE_EFFECTS. It gets recorded in H.264.

Edge Image is in Display -> LV DIGIC peaking. It does not get recorded in H.264.

Lars Steenhoff

whitelight

jpegmasterjesse

I know it's not an attractive solution, but assuming you're in a tight spot, I would try something like Neat noise removal to at least diminish those harsh spots.

jimslaton

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Yes, I recorded in H.264 on a tripod with Sandisk Extreme Pro CF card. No apps installed. I shot...

Size: 1920 × 1080
Codec: H.264, Linear PCM
Color Profile: PAL (1-1-6)
ISO: 800
Shutter Speed 50
LV DIGIC Peaking: Slightly Sharper
Picture Style: CineStyle

What do you guys think?

jimslaton

FYI: This was a 3 camera shoot all on tripods. I had a BMCC 2.5K and an HVX200 on one side and the Canon 5D MK II on the other. Obviously, none of the other cameras had these silver edges. I could see the silver edges on the 3" LCD of the 5D when I was focusing before the shot but I just assumed it was there to help me get focus and not show up on the video. I know none of the focus features inside ML are suppose to get embedded in the video but it did so I'm trying to figure out why. Help.

jimslaton

Also, I first installed ML so I could shoot RAW but realized afterwards that I couldn't shoot RAW at full res and without running the chance of dropped frames. Since I shot H.264 I really didn't need ML but I used it anyway because it was already installed on my CF card. Now I wished I hadn't used ML at all but since then I have been playing around with it and there are some features that still make me want to use it. I just need to figure out this problem first. Thank you guys for any help.

Kharak

Your solution was posted by a1ex.

Quote from: a1ex on October 30, 2018, 12:43:22 PM
Edge Emphasis is in Movie -> Image fine-tuning. In the feature matrix, it's under IMAGE_EFFECTS. It gets recorded in H.264.

Disable this feature

And also set the sharpness in your cinestyle picture profile to 0 and follow the rest of the instructions on how to set up the cinestyle correctly.
once you go raw you never go back

jimslaton

Edge Emphasis was already off, I haven't been using it. I only used the "Slightly Sharper" setting under LV DIGIC Peaking. Even though my sharpness is at zero under my Cinestyle profile that doesn't matter because I was using full auto (Green square) on the mode dial and I don't think you can choose a profile in full auto. So I am back to square one. It must be some combination between LV DIGIC Peaking and the full auto mode but I just don't know for sure...

jimslaton

Could the silver edges in my video be some kind of Chroma noise?

jimslaton

For those who have used neat video, how do I go about trying to remove this in the software since it's not your typical noise?

jpegmasterjesse

Honestly, I'm pretty new to neat, and I don't think this is an ideal solution whatsoever but it may eliminate the really noticeable flickery look on the silver portions. While building the noise profile, try sampling from just these areas.

I hope it helps, but I don't want to get your hopes up. If you send me the files I'd be willing to try with my recently purchased copy of neat.

jimslaton

Quote from: Kharak on October 31, 2018, 07:16:07 PM
Your solution was posted by a1ex.

Disable this feature

And also set the sharpness in your cinestyle picture profile to 0 and follow the rest of the instructions on how to set up the cinestyle correctly.

I did not have this setting on when I shot the video so there is nothing to turn off.

whitelight

I am pretty convinced neither LV DIGIC Peaking nor Cinestyle had any influence on the problem. The silvery edges look like the reflection on the cheekbones of uncontrolled lighting from above the subject, emphasized by sweat and skin grease. The H264 mushy compression with strong sharpening on worsened the situation and made it look like silvery rings. That´s what I was referring talking about the lack of proper makeup on the subject.

a1ex

Quote from: jimslaton on November 01, 2018, 04:13:28 PM
I did not have this setting on when I shot the video so there is nothing to turn off.

In this case, please try to reproduce the issue. I'm not aware of any other setting that could cause this.

Quote from: jimslaton on October 31, 2018, 10:44:38 PM
[...] how do I go about trying to remove this in the software since it's not your typical noise?

My suggestion would be:

- A = initial image
- M = median filter 5x5
- limit the difference between A and M to some constant (i.e. limit the intensity of high-frequency detail)

I've got half-decent results with the detail limit set to 0.05 (where 1 = white). On a 0-255 scale, that would be 12 units.

Details: edge-emphasis-fix.html (11 MB)

Test video: fixed.avi

Compression artifacts from Youtube, if any, were not addressed.