Help! Colour grading, raw and non raw footage

Started by Rob Curd, October 26, 2018, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Curd

Hi,

I have been messing around with raw for around a year now and evolving my knowledge. One area I still lack in is colour grading. Previously I had shot raw or h264 not both. I shot a small personal project https://youtu.be/uVGAPL-hBcQ and really struggled to mix the two. The raw seemed muted. I did try to play around with lumetri but in my opinion without success.

My workflow used to be export all frames to dng then grade the first frame and apply to all in Lightroom. I am from a photography background so felt much more in control but the final output was not great.

Since then my process has been convert to pro res with a slog 3 picture profile, not sure why slog 3 but just seemed to work very well with the eoshd 3.5k raw lut. I would then tweak shadows etc from there.

Any tips or resources would be greatly appreciated. Also a quicker workflow! I use footage for Mac which only converts one video at a time :(.

Thanks
Rob

ilia3101

Quote from: Rob Curd on October 26, 2018, 08:42:19 AM
Any tips or resources would be greatly appreciated. Also a quicker workflow! I use footage for Mac which only converts one video at a time :(.

There's your problem. Footage has been pretty much been abandoned by developer, so there won't be any updates or new features (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong). Try MLV App, I see it as the successor to Footage (for people who use footage). I know the user interface doesn't look as Mac-y as footage, but it has a lot more features and it can do batch export. It has S-Log 3 curve as well.

Rob Curd

goldenchild9to5

Great Job footage looks amazing, you did a great job color grading.  How much in percent was ML Raw?   

Rob Curd

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on October 28, 2018, 02:56:59 AM
Great Job footage looks amazing, you did a great job color grading.  How much in percent was ML Raw?   

Thank you! I would say 25% is raw tbh. I used the 80d mainly because it was attached to the glidecam and autofocus is perfect for that!

allemyr

Hi!

Yes it can be hard to match different footage, especially the first times when you have to sort the workflow and different color profiles out. But when you have done that its become much easier.

I can't really tell which shots is shot with which recording format:

But I would aim to continue with this grade above, that is very good looking in my opinion.

I try to do a guess, the below one is from H264?

And this below one is RAW?

That's my guess :) but I'am not shure :)

I have been struggling a bit with my own grade for sometime, but next time when I but some hours in to videomaking I will but more effort in it to get a pleasing looking image.
I made a little detour with a bit exaggerated grading that doesn't please my eye at all, just twisted the colours to far, in my latest effort.

Good luck continuing with your projects, it looks good right now but the more you learn the better it will get!

Rob Curd

Hi Allemyr,

Thank you for taking the time to watch!

The grade you prefer is the 80d  :'( haha. I do agree it looked better! It was the way I processed the raw. I have a new workflow now and more colour knowledge, I am hoping the next video I release will look much better.

The two other images you referenced are both raw :).

Do you have a link to your work I'd love to see!

Thanks for the feedback:)