[BAD CF?] canon 5d2 card crash an now camera shows "update file cannot be found"

Started by leonardodelfinofoglia, October 24, 2018, 07:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonardodelfinofoglia

hi! need help

the CF crash after a photo session, change card to one whit out ML and camera seems to work fine but take 5 seconds to turn on after i move the control switch or press the shutter, and also takes a lot of time to free the buffer after 5 pics, the firmware shows 2.1.2 but no "ML".
then i instal again the ml files on the CF but the camera cant read them when i turn it on, when i try to "update the firmware" the camera shows a sing "update file cannot be found", this also happens when i try to to instal canon firmware

canon 5d mk2
magiclantern-Nightly.2017Dec07.5D2212

sorry for my english, thanks

Walter Schulz

Card size and type?

For testing you may try to use a small card. 2 GB will be just fine even if outdated and slow. Format card in camera, copy ML files to cam and start firmware update.

Report back.

leonardodelfinofoglia

ok thanks
thanks for the fast answer!!
i was using a lexar 64gb 1066x... that one is dead.
like you said i try with a 2gb kingston (oldie) and it work fine, im able to "instal" again ML, the camera runs fine whit it, but if i change card to a 16gb sandisk udma6 , the camera would not read the ML firmware and have the issues again....
shuld i uninstal ML and instal it again? or theres another way?
thanks again

little note... the camera whitout card works just fine, no delay when turn it on

Walter Schulz

Format 16 GB Sandisk in cam. You can use EOScard (Windows) or MacBoot (macOS) to make card bootable. Then copy ML files to card and you're fine. If using EOScard I recommend to wipe all disk content before copying nightly build files.

leonardodelfinofoglia

OK...
IM NOT ABLE TO RUN MACBOOT ON MY MAC.... BUT I WILL CHECK AND KEEP TRYING
(WHEN I PUT MY PASWORD ON "TERMINAL" THE APP JUST WILL NOT RUN)
AT LEAST WHIT THE 2GB CARD I WAS ABLE TO UNINSTALL ML AND MY CAMERA IS BACK TO NORMAL, NO ML NO ISSUES TURNING IT ON.... I WILL USE IT LIKE THAT TILL I CAN BOOT MY CF
I WILL KEEP TRYING TO MAKE MY CARD BOOTABLE (NEVER DID IT) AND I WILL WRITE THE NEWS
I WANT ML BACK I WAS ALREDY USED TO THE ADVANTAGES
THANK YOU SO MUCH WALTER!! SUPER HELPFUL

reddeercity

I also had problems with CF Lexar 1066x 64GB  on 5D2 , it seems after 2 years there burn out .
I've had all 3 of my Lexar CF card (2-64GB & 1- 32GB) replaced on warranty.
Even had one of the 64GB replace 2x within the last 6 mouths .
I think Lexar are not as good as they use to be . Yes they are fast but don't seem to last .

leonardodelfinofoglia

OK THANKS FOR THE DATA
GOOD TO KNOW BECAUSE HERE IN MEXICO THEY ARE VERRY EXPENSIVE