Panasonic GH5 or Canon 5D Mark III?

Started by Aeidxst, October 08, 2018, 11:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeidxst

I was wondering, what would be the better option for the Panasonic S1? My two Canon L lenses with a lens adapter, or the standard lenses that will be released together with the S1? If it's the latter I'm definitely going to sell my 5D III including the lenses...

Boscom

Another alternative thats just been released is the Black Magic 4k 'Pocket' Cinema Camera. Seems good value as its a lot cheaper than the GH5 and GH5s. 12 Bit 4K RAW as well as ProRes. You can use your Canon lenses with a speed booster.

12georgiadis

Quote from: Aeidxst on October 13, 2018, 02:42:33 AM
I was wondering, what would be the better option for the Panasonic S1? My two Canon L lenses with a lens adapter, or the standard lenses that will be released together with the S1? If it's the latter I'm definitely going to sell my 5D III including the lenses...
It depends on the compatibility... For sure, you'll lose OIS+IBIS with canon Lenses. The standard lenses is a good option.

12georgiadis

Quote from: Boscom on October 13, 2018, 07:22:32 AM
Another alternative thats just been released is the Black Magic 4k 'Pocket' Cinema Camera. Seems good value as its a lot cheaper than the GH5 and GH5s. 12 Bit 4K RAW as well as ProRes. You can use your Canon lenses with a speed booster.
There is no IBIS and it's just a cinema camera. No stills (or 8mpix...) and no open gate 6K... I prefer my 5D3 or GH5

zalbnrum

BMPCC4K is a perfect form factor (cheap media? and batteries). On the plus side it has DCI 4K 60fps raw, will see what .braw brings in that camera. .braw put their 4.6K Pro at least a few steps higher than with old cDNG, you can playback footage with no frame drops, with heavy grade etc. on a +1K€ 3 year old PC laptop. Files are smaller (longer recordings, less disk space) and easy to transfer. And from what I could test, I can belive them that .braw put one extra stop of DR in the shadows. CDNG with its separate frames=files is the bottleneck of post performance... On the downside it is a small sensor camera (usable with speedbooster?), not exactly rainproof, etc.. Has its early? quirks as I have seen on some video reviews.

If A1ex gets enough help and pull ML on 5DIV, that would be the camera to go for what our team needs. 13.6 stops of dynamic range and good low light performance and 2.2K raw from 1080p (if I understood correctly?); that is almost like having an old Alexa with 1 less DR and much better lowlight performance, perfect for 2K DCI deliver.

But you can't have it all, for now what ML enabled on 5DIII is just plain awesome and for our workflow, raw is just a no brainer over all other 10bit 4K enabled plastic-ish image looking mirrorles wonders of the world. I agree about dynamic range. Roughly 11 stops can be a little short, but if you know what are the limits and how to pull that extra bit when pushing cDNGs, then you can get quite good results regarding DR I think.

I can agree with what was written about handling raw in post. But lets not forget, that on the other hand, a 40K$ option medium format from Hasselblad has 4K raw, that you have to convert first to get cDNG, just like with our ML enabled little and cheap, yet raw capable cameras (thanks to ML devs).

If there was a way to convert MLV to some other form of raw than cDNGs, that would put ML Canons into a different ballpark, on an extent even higher than for example Kinefinity or some other smaller exotic companies that are forced to use cDNG (but if there was a way, they would use it already).

12georgiadis

you're right but you forget that 5D3 is a still camera first ;-) which is not the case with the new pocket.
There are a lot of ML workflow, but read H264 proxy + MLV thread workflow, you'll discover a new world in post-prod. Cdng is timeconsuming. C-log Apr444 from MLV after editing is IMO a better choice and save storage space

dfort

The OP was to help choose between a 5D3 to replace a busted one that he loved or to jump ship and go with a Panasonic GH5. Since he only does video the still photo capabilities of these cameras don't matter. Technically, the GH5 is more of a video camera that can shoot stills while the 5D3 is a still camera that can shoot video.

This is a forum where we're experimenting with Canon still cameras so the obvious answer you'll get here is to go with the 5D3. It is after all the "golden standard" for Magic Lantern. However, if you are making a living with your equipment you probably want the best quality and reliability for your buck along with a practical workflow so you can concentrate on creativity rather than fixing technical issues.

Ok--so both cameras can exceed HD resolution, is that important for you? I'll tell you a dirty little insider secret, many productions are still shot and mastered in 1920x1080. About a year ago I was considering drinking the GH5 Kool-Aid so I signed up for a local workshop with Panasonic GH5 guru Griffin Hammond. Guess what, he doesn't shoot in 4k either. So which camera has a better looking HD image? No doubt, 5D3 raw video.

How about slow motion, is that important? The GH5 comes out on top here but again you've got to give up maximum resolution to get the highest frame rate.

What about the cinematic look? The 5D3 has the larger sensor but if you want to work with the highest ML video resolutions you're going to have to give up a lot of it. If you stick with HD resolution (3x3 sampling) you can use that full sensor. Note that the latest professional cine cameras like the Arri Alexa 65, Sony Venice, Panasonic Millennium DXL2 and RED MONSTRO are all large sensor cameras so if you want that look, the 5D3 is the way to go.

Finally, I'm going to go off topic and suggest not to limit your choices to just these two cameras. If I had a couple of Canon lenses and only shoot video I would be looking at Canon Cine cameras. You can pick up a C100 for about the same price as a used 5D3/GH5 and if you look hard enough you can find a C300 in that price range. Need something special for a paying gig? Rent a C300 Mark II or C200. If you're used to shooting with a cine camera there's practically no learning curve compared to going from a 5D3/GH5 to one of these beasts.

D_Odell

Regarding colorsience I would only go for Canon or Fuji! Best of luck!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

jpegmasterjesse

Quote from: dfort on October 13, 2018, 09:17:44 PM

Ok--so both cameras can exceed HD resolution, is that important for you? I'll tell you a dirty little insider secret, many productions are still shot and mastered in 1920x1080. About a year ago I was considering drinking the GH5 Kool-Aid so I signed up for a local workshop with Panasonic GH5 guru Griffin Hammond. Guess what, he doesn't shoot in 4k either. So which camera has a better looking HD image? No doubt, 5D3 raw video.

Griffin is the best! Such an incredibly nice guy who does great work. He and my brother go way back so I've talked to him a few times. His advice for me was just to be super nice and do good work which I find to be a good grounding principle. :)