Canon 700D settings, best build, where am I going wrong?

Started by C700d, October 07, 2018, 10:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C700d

Hello all,

I'm in desperate need and becoming so frustrated in my attempts to get this so called better quality.

I have been trying many different builds including nightly, experimental, 10 bit versions, yet my footage constantly borders on flip phone video quality.
Can anyone please advise me on what I'm doing wrong and what the best possible build and settings I need to input in order to get better quality footage without awful pixelation?

I am aware I am limited by the camera itself and I am not expecting 4k professional looking footage but something that is at least better than the 700D default compression, which is meant to be the whole point of ML.

Currently I am shooting on the experimental 10 bit build, shooting raw at 10bit at 1x, 16:9, and at a resolution whereby it teeters on SD card write limit of around 35/40mbps soI can shoot without it stopping.
My work flow is exporting to DNGs images through MLVapp and then exporting through Premiere Pro upscaled to 1080p (also tried 720p) with everything set to max in terms of export quality.

I have a number of lenses (mostly kit but nothing too awful) yet the quality is always the same. It is a pixelated mess! Where am I going wrong?

I have attached two images, the first is how my exported quality looks and the second of the plane is a compressed video of someone else shooting a plane on a 700D equipped with ML. Why is mine so awful in comparison?

He is also using kit lenses so I'm not sure what is happening, though I am starting to think it may be the sharpness of my lenses (lack of) causing the issues, but there is still a huge amount of sludgy pixelation.

Thank you for your time and answers! And apologies for the rage.

Audionut

Quote from: C700d on October 07, 2018, 10:17:30 AM
And apologies for the rage.

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I only see sensor related issues in those images.  Moire, and other line skipping issues.

Read this and this section of the forum to ensure your problem can't be solved by reading more.

theBilalFakhouri

@C700d

I think your shot was underexposed? Look at the shadows or the dark area this happens when using 10-bit uncompressed if the shadows was very dark you will loss the information.

You can use 14-bit lossless instead it has less size than 10-bit uncompressed and a higher bit-depth. The build is here under "4K raw video recording; lossless compression".

masc

I would try out another software as RAW processing app than premiere. The demosaic algorithms aren't very good there. Try out Resolve, MLVApps processing engine (here you can switch between multiple demosaic algorithms), ACR (After Effects / Lightroom),... nearly all will give you better results.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

If you expose properly, use sharp lenses and focus precisely, ML provides stunning RAW video quality!  Just experiment more and you will get what you want!