Save movie crop upon start up

Started by youshouldtry11, October 03, 2018, 10:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

Quote from: dfort on November 05, 2018, 01:36:07 AM
@Felipe - Please make sure to follow the instructions exactly and report the results of each of the 5 tests.

Saying that it works or doesn't or what happens when removing a module or pulling the battery or what happens on another build doesn't help us at all. Just follow the instructions exactly as a1ex posted and report the results of each of the 5 tests.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Danne on November 04, 2018, 07:31:34 AM
Eos 100D
Test 1: YES
Test 2: YES
Test 3: YES
Test 4: NO(Movie crop mode is disabled the moment I press donĀ“t click me even before the restart)
Test 5: YES to crop mode still enabled after removing the card.
The trick to disable Movie crop mode does not work when going from 24 to 25 fps
The trick to disable Movie crop mode works when going from 24 to 50 fps

Are your 100D results the same as Danne's?

Yes, I can reproduce Danne's results with 100D.

I uploaded a test build for the 650D.105 that is the same as the test build that a1ex posted. It is on my Bitbucket downloads page.

Test results for 650D.105 are the same: No persistent crop mode at all.

dfort

So on the 650D invoking movie_crop_hack_disable() on shutdown (PR #776) seems to have the opposite effect of what it was designed to do.

Felipe was using builds that included PR #776:

Quote from: Felipe on November 04, 2018, 03:19:16 AM
The 2 cameras keep the crop mode only when the camera is turned off from the switch and then turned on. Fantastic!!.

Walter also reported on a build that has movie_crop_hack_disable() on shutdown:

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 04, 2018, 08:27:39 PM
Using dfort's build (for 104) I think I get the same results as Felipe.

The builds that a1ex wants us to test, as well as the new 650D.105 test build I made today, doesn't have movie_crop_hack_disable() on shutdown:

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 05, 2018, 05:38:26 AM
Test results for 650D.105 are the same: No persistent crop mode at all.

So if any 650D user is willing to try a few more tests--try running tests 1, 2 and 5 on a plain vanilla Nightly (unified branch).

dfort

Here is an even simpler test that can be done with any build.

Movie crop mode persistence test:
- start camera in movie mode, enable crop mode
- enter photo mode from the power switch (outside LiveView)
- enter LiveView (the camera should now be out of crop mode)
- switch to movie mode; is crop mode still enabled?

On the 700D (and EOSM) Movie crop mode is still enabled. What I'd like to know is what happens on the 650D. Movie crop mode is not persistent on that camera but at what point does it turn off? Is a shutdown needed or is leaving LiveView enough to lose crop mode?

The big mystery on the 650D is why does movie_crop_hack_disable() on shutdown turn on crop mode -- and keep it on when restarting the camera. That's what users are reporting.

dfort

Hum--hope these tests haven't scared off all the 650D users.

We were in the same place with the 100D:

Quote from: dfort on October 31, 2018, 03:41:12 PM
So on the 100D Movie crop mode is never persistent no matter what you try? That doesn't make sense.

Later we found out that it worked the same as the 700D which is what was expected.

The difference with the 650D is that both cameras that were tested have had their firmware updated to 1.0.5. Maybe this has something to do with the results we're seeing? On some firmware updates I found it helps to clear the Canon settings. Maybe we should try that on these cameras?

Somewhat off topic because it doesn't affect Movie crop mode:

Quote from: a1ex on November 04, 2018, 08:53:03 AM
In the crop_rec_4k branch, I'm actually preventing Canon firmware from saving their own settings when turning off the camera by opening the battery door (though, my trick only covers settings handled by the main CPU, not the ones sent over to the MPU; crop mode setting is from the second group).

It only works on the 5D3. I took a look a the pull request for the unified branch and found the stubs for all the other camera models. Not sure how to run all of the tests but what I was able to run seems to indicate that it is working properly on the EOSM, 700D and 7D.

Walter Schulz

Like to hear a word or two from a1ex before proceeding.

a1ex

I'd say it's best if another 650D user runs the same tests, just in case.

saulbass

650D.104 with 50/1.8 running magiclantern-Nightly.2018Oct31.650D104 from https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/crop_mode_test/

1 go into crop mode open batt door / close bat door = not in crop mode
manually set to crop mode
2 turn off power / turn on power = not in crop mode
3 - go to photo mode - click don't click - crop mode off,
restart camera in movie mode = not in crop mode
4 - in movie mode - click don't click = not in crop mode,
5 - open door remove card / close door = not in crop mode.

So summarising:
1 - No.
2 - No.
3 - No.
4 - No.
5 - No.

dfort

Ok--that matches what Walter reported. So Movie crop mode isn't persistent on the 650D.

@a1ex, do you think my additional tests have any value? I'd like to see if simply switching from movie mode to photo mode outside of LiveView and back to movie mode will take it out of crop mode (Reply #78). Then there's the reports that using a build that invokes movie_crop_hack_disable() on shutdown has the opposite effect of what is expected (Reply #77).

a1ex

Quote from: dfort on November 09, 2018, 07:39:09 AM
@a1ex, do you think my additional tests have any value? I'd like to see if simply switching from movie mode to photo mode outside of LiveView and back to movie mode will take it out of crop mode (Reply #78).

Yes; that means we may have to use Danne's method for saving this setting in ML config file.

I'd also like to find whether enabling movie crop mode while you are in photo mode is going to work. Currently it doesn't if you test it from ML menu; need to prepare a special test build for that.

Why? When you start the camera in movie mode, you do so through photo mode. With Danne's PR - apparently made specifically for 650D - ML will restore the crop mode from the config file. If you move the lever a little slower, ML might enable crop recording while the camera is still in photo mode.

Or, if you start the camera in photo mode, and take a couple of pictures before entering movie mode, you probably don't want to lose the movie crop setting.

If enabling crop mode from photo mode doesn't work, we may have to do so right after entering movie mode (a little harder).

Quote from: dfort on November 09, 2018, 07:39:09 AM
Then there's the reports that using a build that invokes movie_crop_hack_disable() on shutdown has the opposite effect of what is expected (Reply #77).

Allow me to not trust these reports.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: dfort on November 05, 2018, 03:49:39 PM
Movie crop mode persistence test:
- start camera in movie mode, enable crop mode
- enter photo mode from the power switch (outside LiveView)
- enter LiveView (the camera should now be out of crop mode)
- switch to movie mode; is crop mode still enabled?

On the 700D (and EOSM) Movie crop mode is still enabled. What I'd like to know is what happens on the 650D. Movie crop mode is not persistent on that camera but at what point does it turn off? Is a shutdown needed or is leaving LiveView enough to lose crop mode?

Using a1ex's test build for 650D.104:
-Start cam in Movie mode, enabled crop mode
-Entered photo mode by power switch*
-Entered photo mode liveview -> No cropping
-Entered movie mode by power switch
2 results:
a) Screen content frozen with histogramm and spot metering flickering. Happenend a few times in a row. Pressed Menu button ... back in business. Documenting and ... power save struck.
b) Back in crop mode. Cannot reproduce a) yet.

*: Unable to take pics in this mode. Have to reenter movie mode and turning crop off. Focus works but no reaction on full shutter button press. Doesn't matter if liveview or not.

dfort

Thanks for testing Walter. More surprises from the 650D.

Quote from: a1ex on November 09, 2018, 12:50:12 PM
Allow me to not trust these reports.

I'd still like to find what movie_crop_hack_disable() on shutdown is doing on the 650D. It can be tested with a current Nightly build. Simply put the camera in Movie crop mode, shutdown, remove card and start in movie mode. Is it in crop mode? If it is then things are getting very weird.

Walter Schulz

Dang, I messed up the last one! Cam was running 105 with your 2018Nov04.650D105 build!
About to run 104 with a1ex builds (crop test and plain nightly) now.

Edit: 650D.104 with a1ex crop test build behaves the same way. Couldn't reproduce frozen screen, though.

And plain nightly (2018Jul03): Same.

=====
A1ex's test suite with Nightly build (2018Jul03)

Test 1: No
Test 2: No
Test 3: No (same as 2, of course)
Test 4: No ... see 3
Test 5: No

And thanks to saulbass for testing!

Walter Schulz

Shameless bump!
Where are we standing right now?

a1ex

Looks like we need to keep this setting in our config file (I need to take a closer look). Meanwhile, here's another simple test.

Quote from: a1ex on November 09, 2018, 12:50:12 PM
I'd also like to find whether enabling movie crop mode while you are in photo mode is going to work. Currently it doesn't if you test it from ML menu; need to prepare a special test build for that.

Test build posted at https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/crop_mode_test/6/ (650D, 700D, 100D, M)

This time, "don't click me" will attempt to enable crop mode.

Test procedure:
- make sure crop mode is off
- restart the camera in photo mode
- "don't click me"
- check the printed message (number should be 1)
- switch to movie mode
- is crop mode enabled?

If it doesn't work:
- start in movie mode
- "don't click me"
- number should be 1
- crop mode should be enabled

Walter Schulz

Quote from: a1ex on November 20, 2018, 11:05:21 AM
Test procedure:
- "don't click me"
- switch to movie mode
- is crop mode enabled?

650D: Number is 1 and crop mode is enabled.

Danne

Eos 100D
This works and enables Movie crop mode:
QuoteIf it doesn't work:
- start in movie mode
- "don't click me"
- number should be 1

Enabling from photo mode is NOT working for the 100D:
QuoteTest procedure:
- "don't click me"
- switch to movie mode
- is crop mode enabled?

EOSM
This works:
QuoteTest procedure:
- "don't click me"
- switch to movie mode
- is crop mode enabled?

dfort

700D

This does not work:
Test procedure:
- "don't click me"
- switch to movie mode
- is crop mode enabled?
Number is 1 but crop mode is not enabled.

This works:
If it doesn't work:
- start in movie mode
- "don't click me"
- number should be 1
Number is 1 and crop mode is enabled.

Walter Schulz

Are we done here?
No more testing necessary?

dfort

I think this might be the best solution:

Quote from: a1ex on October 28, 2018, 07:21:56 PM
Therefore, why not keep things simple and accept the persistence of crop mode as implemented by Canon? That means, I'm tempted to undo pull request 776.

a1ex

That would give persistent crop mode in 700D, 100D and EOS M, but not on 650D, right?

Danne

Quote from: dfort on December 03, 2018, 09:59:26 PM
I think this might be the best solution:

Quote from: a1ex on October 28, 2018, 07:21:56 PM
Therefore, why not keep things simple and accept the persistence of crop mode as implemented by Canon? That means, I'm tempted to undo pull request 776.

How can persistent crop be the best solution?
Last tests indicated getting closer to a solution but hard to say atm. Config file or not to config file  8)

dfort

Quote from: a1ex on December 04, 2018, 08:07:15 AM
That would give persistent crop mode in 700D, 100D and EOS M, but not on 650D, right?

Right.

Quote from: Danne on December 04, 2018, 09:31:51 AM
How can persistent crop be the best solution?

Because pull request 776 which is supposed to turn off Movie crop mode on shutdown only works properly on the EOSM. That means it is currently persistent on the 700D and 100D. When we were testing pull request 787 which adds the config file it also works properly on the EOSM and yeah, it also works on the 100D and 700D but because PR #776 isn't working the config file isn't really doing its job. Try this -- using a build that incorporates PR #787 on your 100D, put the camera in Movie crop mode, shut down, pull card, restart. You'll see what I mean.

The 650D is the exception because Movie crop mode isn't persistent with or without PR #776.

Danne