Save movie crop upon start up

Started by youshouldtry11, October 03, 2018, 10:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youshouldtry11

Hello there,
I have been using the Eos M magic lamtern movie crop mode with raw,
However, the movie crop mode has to be enabled everytime upon startup(powrr on)
I have tried saving the settings but it just would not save the movie crop setting.
Its pretty annoying and I wonder if it could be made.
Cheers

bakersdozen

Read up on .Lua scripts and how you can have them run automatically at start up. Danne has already developed some for this purpose as part of his custom builds on his Bitbucket.
EOS M + 5D3

a1ex

Actually it's WIP here: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/787

Just need to clean it up and find a way to test it without a camera; might be doable in QEMU.

Pretty sure Danne's experimental builds have it included.

domasa

a1ex

Those two issues are unrelated (offtopic).

domasa

Quote from: a1ex on October 03, 2018, 04:33:49 PM
Those two issues are unrelated (offtopic).
Without information about actual display state (1:1 / FullScreen zoom) is better reset this states everytime upon startup.

a1ex

FullScreen Magic Zoom state *is* reset upon startup, and this has nothing to do with OP's question. His post is neither about crop_rec, nor magic zoom.

Danne

Hehe, this re-enabling issue seems to reoccur from time to time. Out on the road but will check into what build I have it on atm. Later.
Stay tuned...

youshouldtry11

Quote from: Danne on October 04, 2018, 08:22:12 AM
@youshouldtry11
Try this version:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul25.EOSM202_2K-3K-4K_10bit_patch_g3gg0.zip

Hello Danne, I am happy to report that it saves upon start up!
However, the liveview in this version is really really bad... its unusable...
Am i doing something wrong?

P.S. I get choppy liveview while shooting RAW and movie crop, In other version liveview works great....

Danne

Could be liveview setting. Get into Preview settings in RAW video menu and set it to real-time.

youshouldtry11

Quote from: Danne on October 04, 2018, 10:47:05 AM
Could be liveview setting. Get into Preview settings in RAW video menu and set it to real-time.

Thanks alot it worked!!!! It worked very well thanks for the help!!!!!!!

dfort

@Danne - just wondering if you tried out your pull request on the 100D. There was a problem on the 700D when I tested it a while back. It would be nice to get this feature working on all camera that support movie crop mode. 100D, 650D, 700D and EOSM, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danne

Yes works, just tested, movie crop mode reenables when restarting on my 100D. Strange it won't work on the 700D.

dfort

Interesting. I'll re-run the 700D test as soon as I can shake this (hopefully 48 hour) bug that knocked me off my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfort

Need to unravel this before doing any tests.

@Danne - your open pull request for this feature is here. Is it still valid? Is that the build you used for the EOSM and 100D? That didn't work on the 700D. Neither did your pull request that was merged into the unified branch.

I tried following the comment @alex posted on your active unmerged pull request and I bounced from this dmilligan pull request to this branch named config_var_refactor on the main repository.

But wait, there's more!

The build pointed out by @Danne for @youshouldtry11 to try out (yeah, ha ha) is from a branch on @Danne's ML fork named crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_lossless_croprec_iso_reg.

So that adds up to 5 different branches--which one is the one I should be testing out?

Danne

Try the last one you point too?
crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_lossless_croprec_iso_reg

Since it's working for 100D and eosm at least that's proof of some kind :)?

Edit:
Wait. I believe this branch:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/branch/crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd_sd_uhs_HDR_croprec

Anyway. Please double check that the commit is in there.

dfort

So there's a 6th branch?

Tested it on both the EOSM and 700D. Works on the EOSM but not on the 700D.

Steps to reproduce:

• Power on camera in movie mode.
  • Set Movie crop mode on.
  • Turn off camera.
  • Remove card.
Ok--so if it is working the camera will not be in Movie crop mode.

• Reinsert card.
Now the camera should be in Movie crop mode.

Of course if the camera crashes while in Movie crop mode it probably won't work but the whole point of this is that if someone switches out cards for one without ML it shouldn't remain stuck in Movie crop mode.

Danne

Ok, so 700D not working.
Yes, a lot of branches, and not all of them contains all loose ends...

dfort

I'll bet this also affects the 650D. I posted a test build on my Bitbucket dowloads page if any 650D user wants to try it out. (@Walter?)

Not sure why the 100D is different. You are testing by putting the camera in Movie crop mode then restarting the camera without loading ML, right?

a1ex

Quote from: dfort on October 08, 2018, 02:07:58 AM
the whole point of this is that if someone switches out cards for one without ML it shouldn't remain stuck in Movie crop mode.

I did some tests on 700D (borrowed it again for 2-3 days).

If I comment out movie_crop_hack_disable() from ml_shutdown (tasks.c), this feature becomes persistent, i.e. this setting is going to be restored at startup by Canon firmware. Of course, the crop mode remains enabled when starting with a non-ML card, which is probably not the expected behavior, but one can easily switch it off from Canon menu.

Without any shutdown hacks, when turning off the camera by opening the card door, the setting gets saved. Disabling it at shutdown works, too. So far, so good.

When turning off the camera from the power switch after enabling crop mode, no matter what I tried, I was unable to disable it at shutdown on 700D.

Therefore, why not keep things simple and accept the persistence of crop mode as implemented by Canon? That means, I'm tempted to undo pull request 776.

To be tested:
- comment out movie_crop_hack_disable() from tasks.c, in the main repository (any recent branch - unified, crop_rec_4k, io_trace_full... doesn't matter)
- check on 650D, EOSM and 100D to make sure the setting is persistent, can be turned off from Canon menu and doesn't interfere with e.g. photo mode or other stuff.

To be reviewed: around this post.

Danne

Quote from: a1ex on October 28, 2018, 07:21:56 PM
If I comment out movie_crop_hack_disable() from ml_shutdown (tasks.c), this feature becomes persistent, i.e. this setting is going to be restored at startup by Canon firmware. Of course, the crop mode remains enabled when starting with a non-ML card, which is probably not the expected behavior, but one can easily switch it off from Canon menu.
Don´t have my camera besides me but how is crop mode turned off from canon if register is set and magic lantern sd card is pulled out after crop mode is set and camera then is put back on?

a1ex

Without any shutdown hacks (i.e. before PR #776), this setting is saved by Canon firmware. It's in the same property that stores video resolution and frame rate, and it's handled by the MPU.

With the shutdown hack from PR #776, you tried to disable this persistence from Canon, to address the following (my best guess):

Quote from: dfort on November 27, 2016, 11:06:32 PM
Would it be possible to turn off crop mode on shutdown then turn it back to the desired state from the configuration file on start up?

On 700D, there are two cases:

1) Shutdown by opening the card door. In this case, ML disables crop mode at shutdown, this setting is sent over to the MPU, the MPU stores it in its EEPROM (or wherever it stores its persistent settings) and turns off the camera.

2) Shutdown by turning off the camera. On 700D, the power button is shared with the movie mode switch, so... turning off the camera inevitably goes through photo mode. Once you are in photo mode, you can no longer change movie settings - the main CPU will send them over to the MPU, but the MPU is not going to save them in its nonvolatile memory.

I've tried to disable this setting before leaving LiveView (tried PROP_LV_ACTION and PROP_SHOOTING_TYPE), but it looks like these events arrive too late; the MPU no longer saves movie settings modified from these property handlers.

Even if I'll eventually figure out the right moment to disable crop mode, that method adds some extra complexity - I'll have to re-enable the crop mode when entering LiveView, then save that setting in the config file, restore it at startup and so on. Canon already has this setting persistent (at least on 700D; others should be tested), so why not reuse their implementation?

Danne

Interesting about the 700D.
Well yes. Two issues were adressed with the pr.
1 - Reenable Movie crop mode upon restart if the setting weren´t manually set to off after enabling
2 - Avoid entering into Movie crop mode if on after shut down decided to change card or start without  card which would start the camera with movie crop mode register still set with no way to disable it but to install ML again.

Keep in mind this was very long time ago and when teting number 2 on my 100D I can´t get it stuck in crop mode anymore by extracting my sd card so can´t even verify this was an issue or still is? Number 1 is still a valid reason so if that works another way than in the pr I´m a happy user.

a1ex

Right; for #2, I've found the "stuck" crop mode to be a minor issue, as it can be turned off easily from Canon menu.

There's also #3 - crop mode not appearing in Modified settings menu. Solved that one locally.

If you can confirm #2 is not (or no longer?) an issue on EOS M and 100D in the main repository, after reverting PR #776, I'm ready to commit it.