Portable Storage options ?

Started by keel, September 29, 2018, 07:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keel

On location, Raw video files are enormous. Laptop is a bad option.

I tried a gnarbox, didn't work.
Using compactflash (and the occasional sd) transferring via usb3.0 reader.

Right now, I have a laptop, but the battery dies too much.

Could I load MLV producer onto a Pi or something similar ? Transfer to a storage drive ?

Anyone experimenting with storage options ?

Walter Schulz

May I suggest to solve your laptop's power consumption problem (by getting rid of it or by using some kind of portable power source) instead of implementing a Rube Goldberg machine in silicon?

zalbnrum

Reduce file size by using lossless mlv's, you get 2x more for the same performance in post. But it is not possible on all ML capable cameras.

A: Buy more CF cards if shooting for one day only.

B: As Walter said buy new battery/charging device or laptop with internal SSD with enough space for a day of filming.

If shooting for many days, then it gets interesting. I'm experimenting with that workflow lately. You should ideally have enough CF's for a day, than if it's ongoing filming, at the end of the day you transfer via checksum, Resolve has it. SSD's are not the best archival storage, so you should use at least 2 copies of your footage on separate fast and reliable HDD drives, in protective hardboxes, ideally in separate vehicles, and so on...

But I suppose you just need what Walter said; upgrade your laptop and it should be the cheapest and fastest option.

masc

For this problem I bought a NextoDi ND2901 with now 2TB HDD. My 64GB CF card is transfered after 13min. A good time to get a coffee 8) With one battery I can copy up to 4 full 64GB cards.
Unfortunately the production seems to be stopped.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

reddeercity

How about a Offline Clone device ? Looks like it can backup/Clone CF Card as will as ssd & hard drives without a pc/mac , cheap too $35.00
QuoteProduct information:
Offline Clone, Storage, USB hub and USB Fast charge, Light, Portable and Fast, Super Speed USB 3.0 SATA Dual Bay Hard Drive Dock with USB 3.0 Hub and Fast USB Charging Port for all 2.5inch and 3.5 inch SATA I/II/III
No need USB connection to operate Clone function and copy mass data without PC, the process will show on the LED's light flash.
now whether it just reads CF & SD cards , but from the product information it should clone /backup the CF card also .

bakersdozen

Quote from: reddeercity on September 30, 2018, 07:05:29 AM
How about a Offline Clone device ? Looks like it can backup/Clone CF Card as will as ssd & hard drives without a pc/mac , cheap too $35.00
now whether it just reads CF & SD cards , but from the product information it should clone /backup the CF card also .

Would be interesting to hear if anyone has tried one of these. It would be great if it had the functionality to incrementally back up rather than clone.
EOS M + 5D3