Infrared on the EOS 70D

Started by lizard™, September 24, 2018, 04:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lizard™

So, I'll have my 70D soon and was deciding whether or not to get a battery grip. One of the things I liked the most about them is that some have an IR-receiver built-in and come with a remote.

However I was just thinking why I've seen so many IR remotes from canon, but never an IR receiver with them. And then I remembered seeing a red-ir-receiver-like-looking LED/window on the front of a canon camera before (I think it was the 5D). Before I thought it was some AF-assist-light or something. So I looked it up and wow - the 70D has an IR-receiver built-in!

That's great! Now, a few years back I got myself one of these beautiful apple remotes. I basically got it for free (had a gift card and didn't know what else to get) but ever since it's been in my drawer for the last 5 years now as I didn't have any use for it. Until now. It's compact yet seems very sturdy thanks to its full metal body and I think it'd make a great remote for a camera. The problem is: It's not programable.

So my first question would be: Is it possible to change the frequency and delay the camera is looking for with magic lantern?

And my second question: So far I've only found it possible to use remote shutter or remote 2s-shutter with an IR remote. Can ML add more possibilities to this, e.g. using it to control other options?