Begging for assistance with what camera to get

Started by lizard™, September 19, 2018, 05:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArcziPL

If you like/are used to having relatively high zoom ranges, I'd definitely recommend 18-135 IS STM for start. This is a very decent lens for that price (used ones are definitely affordable) and has very useful focal length range, so it's versatile, making it IMHO a good lens for a start. You should be happy with it for a longer time, even after getting later some primes in this range, due it's image quality and overall functionality.

In my opinion it's better to have a versatile, general purpose lens first than some specialized ones like 55-250. Of course it depends on what you're photographing but if you were specialized and experienced you'd rather not ask here for an advice.

I didn't mention it before as I only described lenses which I have or had in the past.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

lizard™

Quote from: ArcziPL on September 28, 2018, 07:51:14 PMOf course it depends on what you're photographing but if you were specialized and experienced you'd rather not ask here for an advice.

This is true!

What I did was get my old camera and calculate which zoom level I need on it to "simulate" a given eq. focal length on the canon's crop sensor, and then compared the pictures afterwards. I've found that I've been so used to the FOV smartphone cameras and my old camera on 1x zoom (eq. focal length of 24mm, so the same as a 15mm lens on the APS-C) have that even an 18mm lens seems "zoomed" to me. I'm considering to get a Canon 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 IS STM for that reason, even though the aperature is quite low. I've also looked at the metadata of a lot of pictures I took in the past, and it seems that 24mm equivalent is what I'm shooting on most. (Either that, or all the way to 800-1200mm)

I figured that a 10-18mm would also make a good addition to the 35mm I got now, and a 55-250mm later as that would give me pretty much all the focal length ranges I'd ever need.

jc

Quote from: a1ex on September 23, 2018, 11:35:08 AM
I've got a Toshiba FlashAir (also hackable) to minimize card swapping during development, but I find it too slow and unreliable for any real use (other than maybe transferring some low-res JPEG previews to a smartphone). That may have to do with the metal enclosure and cover of the SD slot in the camera.

The built-in wifi interface is probably much faster and likely easier to program, as you no longer have to guess what picture was captured, whether it was fully saved to card or not, and so on.

@a1ex if it is the enclosure and cover of the SD slot in the camera reducing the range .. then an SD card extender would work ...
e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SD-card-to-SD-Card-Extension-Extender-Cable-Log-Logging-Truck-GPS-Motorbike/183442448338 or maybe https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/SD-Male-To-SD-Female-SDHC_60751903392.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.424.6f255038VfUkvq tho the latter might be a micro one ?

lizard™

Quote from: jc on September 30, 2018, 11:14:52 PM
@a1ex if it is the enclosure and cover of the SD slot in the camera reducing the range .. then an SD card extender would work ...
e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SD-card-to-SD-Card-Extension-Extender-Cable-Log-Logging-Truck-GPS-Motorbike/183442448338 or maybe https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/SD-Male-To-SD-Female-SDHC_60751903392.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.424.6f255038VfUkvq tho the latter might be a micro one ?

Cool idea, didn't know these exist, might come in very handy to have one of those for other things.

My 70D won't turn on if the SD Card lid isn't closed though, don't know about other Canon's but on mine I couldn't use that.

Walter Schulz

Card lid has a protruding plastic part actuating a switch if lid is closed.
Should not be that complicated to find out how to manipulate the switch...