Trying to understand the concept of "Binning" with use of Magic Lantern

Started by Ballinger, April 26, 2019, 09:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballinger

I'm still trying to fully grasp what pixel binning is and how it relates to the final image quality when shooting ML produced video.  If I understand correctly, 1x3 binning equates to 1 out of every 3 vertical lines of resolution being imaged from the sensor whilst 3 horizontal pixels are grouped together or "binned" as 1 pixel?   Therefore, 1x1 sampling equals 1 out of 3 vertical lines being read while no horizontal pixels are being binned?   In 1:1 mode using Movie Crop mode on the 700D, this would equal vertical line skipping but no horizontal pixel binning?

In 3x3 mode, this equals no vertical line skipping whilst binning 3 horizontal pixels?   

I'm ultimately trying to understand why 1:1 mode in standard crop mode recording on the 700D virtually eliminates aliasing and moire.  Thanks so much for any insight you can give me!     

theBilalFakhouri

Lines x Columns

1x1 Sampling is read every line (vertical pixels) and every column (horizontal pixels) without any skipping or binning, no aliasing and moire and you will see more noise in this mode , also Movie Crop Mode and x5 Mode are using 1x1 Sampling.

3x3 Read one line skip two every 3 lines/Bin every 3 columns. And skipping lines causes aliasing and moire.

1x3 Read all lines/Bin every 3 columns. No skipping at all only Binning pixels in columns, no aliasing/no moire and better details than 3x3.

3x1 Read one line skip two every 3 lines/Read all columns. Better details than 3x3 but with same alisaing and moire since we are skipping lines in this mode.

Ballinger

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 26, 2019, 11:49:09 PM
Lines x Columns

1x1 Sampling is read every line (vertical pixels) and every column (horizontal pixels) without any skipping or binning, no aliasing and moire and you will see more noise in this mode , also Movie Crop Mode and x5 Mode are using 1x1 Sampling.

3x3 Read one line skip two every 3 lines/Bin every 3 columns. And skipping lines causes aliasing and moire.

1x3 Read all lines/Bin every 3 columns. No skipping at all only Binning pixels in columns, no aliasing/no moire and better details than 3x3.

3x1 Read one line skip two every 3 lines/Read all columns. Better details than 3x3 but with same alisaing and moire since we are skipping lines in this mode.

Aha, this makes much more sense.  My previous understanding was a little skewed, but I fully grasp line skipping vs binning now.  THANK YOU. 

dfort

You might want to read through the Pixel binning patterns in LiveView topic. Note that the 5D3 does horizontal and vertical binning instead of line skipping. That's why 3x3 sampling on the 5D3 is mostly free from aliasing.