700D/50mm STM Vs 100D/50mm Black

Started by Edgley, September 18, 2018, 11:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edgley

Hi,

With the 700D and STM lens I managed to get the creamy film look I am after.
Unfortunately, I had to get rid of that set up, and switch to a 100D and Black Lens

The image I am getting with the 100D is no where near as "good" as the 700D.
What I am not sure is whether its the lens or the camera.
I am hoping that it is the lens, as at least I might be able to get another STM one.

Thanks,
Simon
100D + 50mm 1.8 / Mac / Resolve

Danne

Please post examples of what you are talking about. Are you filming raw, H.264?

Edgley

I am just using out of the box settings.
I have attached a number of shots from both cameras.
They are unprocessed, and just a screen grab from inside Resolve.

Thanks,
Simon.

The first two are from the 100D, the others from the 700D

OPPS: Just remembered that the 700D had a circular ND Filter on it, cost less than £20

Danne

Ok, next step would be to record some footage with same settings on both cams. Record the same object etc so we can proceed from vague, general conclusions.

Edgley

Yeah, I am going to try and record some of me with the 100D.
It seems, after reading about the difference between the two lens the bokeh is better on the STM lens.

I've just gone and shot a load of still with the. 100D and Black II and I can see the difference just with that.

dfort

What is "Black Lens" and/or "Black II" ??

The 700D and 100D use different sensors and if you are comparing these cameras using different lenses (and different subjects) there's a very good chance that you'll get different looking images. You don't look like your cat--though there is a very slight resemblance.

Edgley

Considering that the recordings where all done "out of the box", the first two don't have that creamy look the others do.
Which is what I used to get with my Nikon using their 50mm 1.8.

I appreciate that I am comparing apples to gates, I mean windows - however, I thought that the creamy look was down to the lens rather than the camera.

I guess I should at least find a STM and take some shots with it to see if the 100d can do it.
I still cannot believe that such a small camera setup produces such amazing images.