Magic Lantern Cinema Camera - Dual ISO without aliasing & without quality loss!

Started by theBilalFakhouri, September 18, 2018, 10:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squig

Cool thx. Yeah it's beer o'clock here too :D

800/100 ISO 1x3 10bit

same shot +1 EV

Lars Steenhoff

Danne

If entering canon menu and back before filming stripes are often gone. Except on the right hand of the image. Well, more tests...

Walter Schulz

If you don't know a version you will find a <cam identifier>_<firmware version>.sym file in ML\Modules. Here it is 5D3_113.sym.

flostro

70MM13

I tried your 14 bit version and it works very well.  Straightforward and easy!

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) it doesn't seem to provide any benefits compared to the ISO experiments, for me at least...

I will keep watching and playing with any new developments you make, and hopefully you will work some magic!

I think that dual ISO combined with the ISO experiments is the way to get truly incredible results...

If only more people were playing with the ISO experiments, maybe this could happen.

I'll try some more tests with your 14 bit version and see if it beats the ISO experiments in some cases.  The shadows are just so clean in the ISO experiments...

I hope you don't think I'm discouraging you.  Quite the opposite!  Keep up the amazing work!

70MM13

Much better!

But something strange is happening now.  When I load a clip from the "less stripes" version into mlvapp, as soon as I switch to anything except bilinear demosaicing, the brights lose the dual ISO processing.

I checked by reverting to the prior version and it's fine.

I'm using the 14 bit version.

Danne

Seems problematic still. Think it's fps related. As soon as I lower fps to something like 22 stripes are gone. Finetuning I guess.

70MM13

It was the shutter speed.  Seems like it was somehow set in your version.

Once I set it to 50 in the ml exposure menu, the problem disappeared!

For some reason, when I set FPS override, the camera crashed hard. Display stays on even with the battery door open.  Battery has to be pulled.

This version provides very nice results!  Maybe better than ISO experiments!

I'll do a comparison with this.

EDIT: I can't repeat this.  It must have been a stray neutrino.  But the hard crashing is definitely repeatable :p

Danne

Uploaded two new versions. Finetuned, hopefully stripe free.
And yes, stay off fps override...

Levas

FPS override doesn't combine well with crop_rec presets.
FPS override changes A and B timers, which are already carefully set in the crop_rec preset.
This combination probably also messes up shuttertime, as calculations are done with the settingsfrom the crop_preset.

70MM13

The new version fixed the interlacing issue, but the vertical stripes are very strong, especially if underexposing for highlights.

I did many exposures of this test scene, and even when I exposed exactly for midtones, the stripes are visible on the wall well into the mids...

As for dynamic range, it doesn't beat the ISO experiments yet.  Pretty much the same.

But, if you can eliminate the stripes, it could be a winner!

I still dream of both combined.

The following images are straight from mlvapp with no processing except exposure and shadow strength to match.  No noise reduction nor chroma smoothing applied.

The ISO 109 was shot at 3K and exported at 1080.  BTW, the 3K footage uses less data...

Different framing due to different crop sizes.

Danne

I just posted two new versions. Only tested 10bit briefly. Not sure why you still get stripes. Maybe unavoidable. Thanks for testing. Feel free to test these two latest ones as well if you have the time. Thanks.

70MM13

I tried the new version and it's the same.

I hope you can solve this!

Simple test: expose for a light bulb in a dimly lit room just like the scene I did.  You'll know right away!

theBilalFakhouri

In 700D there are no problems when using 10-bit lossless analog gain possibly also other small cameras like EOS M, 650D and 100D will be not affected. Maybe the cameras which has ADTG4 analog registers will be a little bit tricky like 5D3.

Canon 700D:
Original" border="0

Pushed-5-stops" border="0

Danne

Quote from: 70MM13 on October 20, 2018, 09:16:24 PM
I tried the new version and it's the same.

I hope you can solve this!

Simple test: expose for a light bulb in a dimly lit room just like the scene I did.  You'll know right away!

Could you show me an example of the problem with the 10bit build please.

Danne

70MM13

12georgiadis

Hi! If there is a build with eosm dual iso lossless 10 bits, I can do some tests

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Danne

Uploaded two new builds.
1920x2320, fps23.976

Tried 10bit in daylight both dualiso and regular raw and footage looks ok. Tried some stress testing against a lamp but couldn't find any stripes.
Feel free to do some stress testing against either build.

IDA_ML

Quote from: 12georgiadis on October 21, 2018, 07:07:40 AM
Hi! If there is a build with eosm dual iso lossless 10 bits, I can do some tests

Same question but about the 100D.  Can we see a working build on that camera?  I can't wait to test.

squig

Quote from: Danne on October 21, 2018, 11:48:56 AM
Uploaded two new builds.
1920x2320, fps23.976

Tried 10bit in daylight both dualiso and regular raw and footage looks ok. Tried some stress testing against a lamp but couldn't find any stripes.
Feel free to do some stress testing against either build.

Stripes still there on the 14bit build.