Author Topic: 3K mode vs 5K anamorphic quick test  (Read 700 times)

Flynt

• New to the forum
3K mode vs 5K anamorphic quick test
« on: September 09, 2020, 02:56:07 PM »
Last month I shot a few footages playing with different ML-modes. Some results in the video below.
Canon 5D mk III, Canon 35mm f 1.4L, Davinci resolve

Grognard

• New to the forum
Re: 3K mode vs 5K anamorphic quick test
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 05:42:28 PM »
How did you manage with the crop factor? Which ens did you use for 5k anamorphic ?

IDA_ML

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 12:16:39 AM »
Flynt,

Although I appreciate your efforts to adjust the same field of view and film these comparative shots, they may create the wrong impression that the 5k anamorfic mode is much more inferior in terms of image quality than the 3k 1x1 mode.    The crop mode uses much smaller  sensor area, therefore the depth of field is much larger causing much more of the image to appear sharp.  The lack of sharpness in large areas of the anamorphic shots is attributed to the much smaller depth of field which creates an overall impression of a soft image.  Those areas are soft not because of lack of resolution or inferior image quality but because of defocus.  If you want to be correct with the comparisons, in your anamorphic shots, you will need to close the apperture to achieve equal depths of field in both modes.

In fact, image quality of the 5k anamorphic mode is so good that it is barely distinguishable from 3k.  This is evident from the pink flower shots where depth of field for both modes is large enough for the entire flower to appear in sharp focus.  I use 5k anamorphic for landscape videography all the time and it resolves fine detail perfectly.  Videos look gorgeous on large high-resolution screens.

paulheran

• New to the forum
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 01:59:13 AM »
The crop mode uses much smaller  sensor area, therefore the depth of field is much larger causing much more of the image to appear sharp. 

How does it use a smaller sensor area, but the FOV is the same from the looks of it in this video.
5D3 113 | 16-35 2.8 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 IS

IDA_ML

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 08:09:41 AM »
He changed the subject distance, I guess, to achieve the same FOV.

whitelight

• Freshman
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 08:19:42 AM »
Flynt,

Although I appreciate your efforts to adjust the same field of view and film these comparative shots, they may create the wrong impression that the 5k anamorfic mode is much more inferior in terms of image quality than the 3k 1x1 mode.    The crop mode uses much smaller  sensor area, therefore the depth of field is much larger causing much more of the image to appear sharp.  The lack of sharpness in large areas of the anamorphic shots is attributed to the much smaller depth of field which creates an overall impression of a soft image.  Those areas are soft not because of lack of resolution or inferior image quality but because of defocus.  If you want to be correct with the comparisons, in your anamorphic shots, you will need to close the apperture to achieve equal depths of field in both modes.

In fact, image quality of the 5k anamorphic mode is so good that it is barely distinguishable from 3k.  This is evident from the pink flower shots where depth of field for both modes is large enough for the entire flower to appear in sharp focus.  I use 5k anamorphic for landscape videography all the time and it resolves fine detail perfectly.  Videos look gorgeous on large high-resolution screens.

IDA_ML, although I understand your point, there is in fact a great loss of detail in 5k, also in the pink flower shot (first rose I guess) which you consider sharp in both modes. The difference is immediately noticeable to my eyes.

IDA_ML

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 07:09:07 PM »
IDA_ML, although I understand your point, there is in fact a great loss of detail in 5k, also in the pink flower shot (first rose I guess) which you consider sharp in both modes. The difference is immediately noticeable to my eyes.

No, I mean the flower at about 30 sec.  The first rose seems to be out of focus.  You can try to film a wide angle landscape shot at F8 and compare both modes.  You will barely see a difference in detail unless you pixel peep at 300%.  If you watch the videos full size on a large high-quality monitor, even from a distance of 1m or less, the differences in image quality will be not perceptible.