HELLO from Santa Monica, CA

Started by sax100, September 17, 2018, 06:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sax100

(I"ll post this in its proper place - just wanted to introduce myself and explain why I'm here)

Been using ML since 2015 and shot an 80 min feature with ML + Canon 5D3. Have had great success and results!!! Haven't changed build since shooting feature film - since it worked without any problems.

Until now... I'm getting Unknown Block errors after 1 day shoot using same build, CF cards and settings on Canon 5D3. Tried transferring files from CF card to 3x different USB 3.0 HD and 1x SSD via 2x different USB 3.0 ports, but no change in errors.

MLV Dumper v1.0
-----------------

Mode of operation:
   - Input MLV file: 'M15-0904.MLV'
   - Rewrite MLV
   - Output into 'meta.mlv'
File M15-0904.MLV opened
File M15-0904.M00 opened
File M15-0904.IDX opened (XREF)
XREF table contains 1286 entries
Processing...
Unknown Block: ????, skipping
Unknown Block: %%, skipping
Unknown Block: ;?H, skipping
Reached end of all files after 1286 blocks
Processed 781 video frames
Done

logout

[Process completed]

I hope I can salvage the 30% remaining unconverted footage.

Regardless, I'd like to THANK THE MAGIC LANTERN WIZARDS for existing for all of us independent filmmakers!!!

Canon 5D Mark III / KomputerBay 1000x 128GB CF
ML for 5d3 2014.01.08 Build
Firmware Version 1.1.3-ml-v2.3
ML for Canon 5d3 Build - Nightly.2014May22.5D3113

dfort

Hello from Redondo Beach!

Looks like you probably have a card problem. I've got several Komputer Bay 1066x 128GB CF cards and had pretty good luck but there are lots of reports of KB cards failing--sometimes right away, sometimes years later.

If it ain't broke don't fix it is fine though ML is constantly improving so you're missing out on lots of new features and bug fixes (as well as new bugs) by sticking with such an old build but it looks like your mlv_dump is also very old. The newer versions have a "relaxed" mode that might be able to salvage most of your footage:

--relaxed           do not exit on every error, skip blocks that are erroneous

By the way, curious about that feature you shot. Could you tell us more about it? Is there a trailer? Did you shoot it with ML raw? What was your workflow? PM me if you want to meet up.

sax100

Hey dfort! We're neighbors! Yeah, we should meet up! How do I PM you? Sorry for being clueless  :o

Regarding the KomputerBay CF cards, I used 3x 128GB 1000x cards on the day of the shoot 4 days ago. I noticed that nearly every clip I converted that was over 45 seconds, would cut off around 45-55 seconds. And only 1-4 frames were converted at the end of the clip.
I tested 3x other KomputerBay CF cards I haven't used in nearly 3 years that are all 64GB 1000x cards, and these also are cutting off around 45-55 seconds from the beginning of the clip.
Do you think it's still a CF card error if all 6 cards are doing the same thing?

I'd love to try an updated mlv-dump to test the "--relaxed" command, but I can't seem to find anything for OSX that's more recent than v1.0 - can you point me in the right direction?

Is there a way to fix this problem via a hex editor? I researched the forum and read that some who've encountered corrupt frames or blocks were able to manipulate the data to pull out most or all of their affected footage. One topic that stood out for me is located here:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13653.0

Could this route work? If so, what data should I manipulate and to what data should it be changed to?

Regarding the 80 min feature film...
I am completing the website for the film and have trailers ready to go, which I'll have available to watch via the website, YouTube and Vimeo shortly. I am preparing for its launch - 3 yrs in the making. I'll be sure to share it here because it was shot entirely with MLV RAW on my Canon 5D3. What a God send!!!

Regarding MLV work flow...
Shot MLV RAW on Canon 5D3
Quick color and proxy output from Davinci Resolve 10 Lite into Premiere Pro CS6
Roundtrip to Davinci once PPro edit was locked
Final color in Davinci
Final audio work in Audition CS6
Output Cinema DNG sequence from Davinci into After Effects CS6 for effects/fixes/titles etc.
Output final from AE with final audio (5.1 and stereo)
I can also create DCP, which I've tested in a theater with a small clip of the film, from AE

dfort

To PM someone, click on their name:

Then on the next page click on Send personal message:

I'll go ahead and PM you so we can exchange contact information.

sax100

Thanks for the mlv_dump via email.

It didn't make it past the same frame.

./mlv_dump --dng --relaxed M15-0904.MLV

MLV Dumper
-----------------

Mode of operation:
   - Input MLV file: 'M15-0904.MLV'
   - Using output path 'M15-0904_' for DNGs
   - Convert to DNG frames
   - Output into 'M15-0904_'
File M15-0904.MLV opened
File M15-0904.M00 opened
File M15-0904.M01 not existing.
Processing...
Unknown Block: %%, skipping
[ERROR] Invalid block size at position 0x7dd46afe
Processed 777 video frames at 24.00 FPS (32.38 s)
Done