General ML video fps/res/aspect question

Started by nicky9499, December 10, 2018, 05:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicky9499

Greetings all. It's my first foray into using ML to squeeze more out of my camera so I'm sorry if there's any silly questions. I'm writing because thus far lots of time reading on the internet has only produced answers that are conflicting or don't apply to my use case.

The use case: I'd like to shoot with a 1.85x anamorphic lens onto the full area of the image sensor - so basically 3:2 aspect in the largest resolution possible. However, I'm not looking to shoot in raw, which is what alot of ML video discussions revolve around. I'm currently using a 600D, having spent on the anamorphic toys this time round but once I've got used to it I'd like to upgrade to a full-frame body either 6D or 5D3.

Question: What is the (a) maximum resolution ML will sustain, at (b) 3:2 aspect ratio and 24fps, on (c) the 600D, 6D and 5D3? Will any of them do higher framerates like 48 or 60 at the same resolution? There is a chart here covering this but it relates to raw video. I only need regular h264. This answer also informs on whether or not I should upgrade to a 6D or 5D3 which costs up to three times as much here even on the used market.

The reason why I'm asking is because the entire concept of anamorphicism(?) was to maximize usage of the entire frame (sensor in this case). Having bought equipment to accomplish this only to have the camera chop the frame back off defeats the entire point.