Canon EOS R / RP

Started by SpenceM, September 05, 2018, 03:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitor

You probably want to join our development Discord then. We are looking for an opportunity to make some wiki pages on that, since all documentation on forum is very outdated.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

iggy2

Hi, Have you any news with develop?

Walter Schulz

If you are asking for a release being intended to be used by camera owners for testing purposes: Ask again every 6-9 months.

Dev talk can be watched on ML's discord channel. Invite linked above.

Tjabo

Strange, but I keep hanging onto my EOS R, and it really does a nice job.  I can't help but think how amazing it could be with the ML power like my old 5Diii had!  Has there been any progress since the last post?

kitor

Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

kitor

mzrm eglGetDisplay 0
  mzrm eglInitialize 1 2720200 2720204
  mzrm eglGetError
cmd status      EGL_SUCCESS
EGL Version     1.3 // via eglInitialize()
EGL_VENDOR      TAKUMI Corporation
EGL_VERSION     1.3 TAKUMI Corporation
EGL_EXTENSIONS  NONE
EGL_CLIENT_APIS OpenGL_ES OpenVG

Fun fact: Zico core can do OpenGL ES and EGL 1.3. There's no implementation ICU side, but at least EGL is implemented on Zico. After some digging I was able to initialize EGL and query capability strings.
Not sure if that will go anywhere (OpenGL seems missing in Zico firmware even though hardware is capable of that), I never worked with OpenGL before so I don't know if EGL is enough to do anything interesting.
There's OpenVG support too.

This was a good excuse to dig into ICU-Zico communication.
Too many Canon cameras.

kitor

EOS RP also have two different versions of 1.6.0 firmware in the wild - 3.9.5 and 3.9.6. (like case of R.180)

The one we work on is 3.9.5, build date is 2020-08-20 15:54:54 and is available at https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0400006292/01/eosrp-v160-win.zip
I was unable to track update file for 3.9.6 anywhere. It has build date of 2021.02.01 11:46:45.

Good news is that (just like R) it is enough to grab 1.6.0 3.9.5 file from the URL above and install it - no card swap tricks needed.
Too many Canon cameras.

kitor

(X-post from 200D shoots raw video)

Quote from: kitor on February 11, 2024, 05:50:20 PM

Yes, that's EOS R. Yes, it is Digic 8. Yes, we said it don't count on it as EDMAC is completely different.
Yet here we are  8)

Caveat: it only adds a page into a list of digic 8 instabilities with ML, records roughly 30-60 frames before stops... something related to memory management that I didn't solve yet.
No builds will follow as D8 requires a ton of work before being usable in any way.

But: AF works while recording  :) When 4k is selected in Canon menus, raw buffer is 4K too (unfortunately cropped, as expected).

My PoC on top of @names_are_hard PoC is on my branch: https://github.com/kitor/magiclantern_simplified/commits/raw_draft/
This is shameless "fake it till you make it", thus needs to be redone from scratch after fixing stuff.

There's also a significant progress in understanding D8 EDMAC. Not enough to setup random transfers, but it was more than good enough to get mlv_lite working :)
I'll wait for Names for his EDMAC documentation and update it by my current D8 knowledge.
Too many Canon cameras.

kitor

Turns out I just forgot I have two nearly identical cards: Lexar 64GB x1000 and x1666. And I used the slower one.
With x1666 (~100MB/s write) I get continuous 1080p30 14 bit RAW.
Too many Canon cameras.

c_joerg

Cool . Does the temperature rise significantly? Can you measure the temperature in the camera?
EOS R

kitor

Not tested, tbh 64 gig card I have is good for what, like 5 minutes of recording?
And there's no temperature reading integrated with code right now, I had some PoC stashed (works differently than old models)
Too many Canon cameras.

Walter Schulz

Old method applies: Take a vid, take a pic and check EXIF.
Or ask MPU via UART.

Not a big deal. Can do this.

c_joerg

I don't know how it is with the EOS R, but my M3 with CHDK gives me 3 temperatures (optical / housing, sensor, battery). Unfortunately, the EXIF ​​does not show the sensor temperature, but only the significantly smaller optical / housing temperature.
EOS R

Walter Schulz

Only one way to find out: Testing.
See https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9673.0

I don't think all cams do the same. 7D's readout is matching EXIF, 650D's is not.

kitor

I found the code, R has 5 sensors: SH, MAIN, A, WM, BACK.
I did a test, started with 27, 32, 31, 29, 26 C. Recorded half of 64G card in 1080p30 (that was 3 minutes). Temps after recording: 29, 35, 33, 29, 27.
Too many Canon cameras.

Danne

I so regret selling my eos  rp now.

c_joerg

Quote from: kitor on February 18, 2024, 09:11:42 PM
I found the code, R has 5 sensors: SH, MAIN, A, WM, BACK.
I did a test, started with 27, 32, 31, 29, 26 C. Recorded half of 64G card in 1080p30 (that was 3 minutes). Temps after recording: 29, 35, 33, 29, 27.

It looks like that MAIN is Sensor.
On my M3 I have seen max Sensor Temp from 68 degree.

EOS R

kitor

Linked attachment requires logging in.

Quote from: Danne on February 18, 2024, 09:23:50 PM
I so regret selling my eos  rp now.

I kinda expect RP to be the same +/- sensor.
Can't test as I'm still hunting for a donor RP and 250D motherboards - RP was sent my way by one of our community members; 250D i found myself - both exhibit the same issue with power circuit. I tried reviving those, with a great help from @vth (from photo-parts.com.ua) but it seems I got unlucky and got too many dead PMICs (which are unavailable except sourcing them from Canon boards). Funny is that IIRC @coon has two dead RP boards that exhibit similar issue - only MPU wakes up and complains about PMICs i2c responses.

Anyway, I'm going to check another D8 cam soon. The most ridiculous one :)
Too many Canon cameras.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: kitor on February 19, 2024, 08:42:28 AM
Anyway, I'm going to check another D8 cam soon. The most ridiculous one :)

Really? The hand axe?

kitor

Ok, forgot about that one  8) Nah, SX740 - it will be fun to see if this point-and-shoot can do 1080p30. D8, gig of RAM, only UHS1 though. Seems enough.
Too many Canon cameras.

kytai90

So, M6 mark 2 now got a chance for ML raw video , right?

Walter Schulz

kitor

Some fun tests with fast card (Adata 64GB 290MB/s).
Benchmarks top in-cam at 220MB/s write. That's enough for continuous 1080p60 and borderline for 3k@24p (literally, requires card warmup to not stop immediately).

This also means 4k 16 bit uncompressed is impossible at usable FPS. Maybe 10 bit lossless, but at this moment we don't know how to do 10 bit or how to do lossless.
Too many Canon cameras.

LittleTitu

Hey Kitor!
Nice progress you made with the Digic 8. I didn't really expect that.

Do you know how Canon limits the focus on RP at 4K? Wondering if it's a Hardware or Software limitation.

With the fast card you have, recording at 3k@24, do you see any temp bump, beyond the one you posted before?
programming my life | shooting the world

kitor

QuoteDo you know how Canon limits the focus on RP at 4K? Wondering if it's a Hardware or Software limitation.
No idea, I don't have a working RP, nor I investigated focus stuff.

QuoteWith the fast card you have, recording at 3k@24, do you see any temp bump, beyond the one you posted before?

Those were like 3 minutes bursts, I didn't see any high temp rise. Hard to test with so small card for the job though :)

Too many Canon cameras.