DIGIC 8 'PowerShot' development (M50, SX70, SX740)

Started by dfort, April 21, 2018, 04:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

far.in.out

Okay, thanks for the info.
Can you please tell how you know if a sensor in a particular camera is good or crap?
Do you look at the specs or watch sample photos videos?
And what is the criteria for bad or good sensor?
Is it something subjective or you have some metrics?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

kitor

Sensor seems to be recycled again from 1300D/2000D - 24MPx, 4k only cropped and with contrast detection.

Camera looks like 1300D/2000D with Digic 8 and RF mount.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Walter Schulz

Nah, they are different.
It got M50II's sensor.
DPAF in 1080p. Contrast detection in 4k.
M50, M50II have no AF in 4k.

ArcziPL

M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

far.in.out

As for me I'm very happy about the fact that there is cropped 4K - this should be a relatively clean image as compared to full sensor width image scaled without pixel binning, right? For many folks this could be usable even in stock H264 flavor. R100 even has 4K All-I for timelapse. If we can make it All-I for regular 4K then it would already be a good boost.
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

Walter Schulz

List the cams that got ALL-I with the help of ML ...

far.in.out

It is already in the cam, it's just limited to timelapse mode.
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

kitor

Well, there's a surprise. M50 mkII is not cbasic/uart locked, even though it runs latest DryOS version. I guess PowerShot team didn't get the memo.

Also there's 1.0.4 firmware in the wild, by google results it seems to be shipped since December last year. However there's no firmware update available (latest on the site is 1.0.3).
Even though firmware downgrade is locked (and we have no 1.0.4 file to use card swap method), Names found a way to downgrade any downgrade-locked camera without a real "same version as installed" file.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

yazcui

QuoteWell, there's a surprise. M50 mkII is not cbasic/uart locked, even though it runs latest DryOS version. I guess PowerShot team didn't get the memo.
Very interesting.

kitor

How low spec we can get with mlv_lite?

SX740 the answer... at least for now :)
Yes, the jpeg-only cam now records RAW too.

Interface seems to max out at 86R/80W. Not enough for continuous 1080p at a normal frame rate.
But tbh that was mostly a test "if sx740 can do it, every model can do it".

SX740 lacks EDMAC mem2mem copy code which I partially used on R so I had to reimplement whole EDMAC memcopy using pure EDMAC functions and cross my fingers that channels used by R were unused here. And it worked fine :)

Too many Canon cameras.

iaburn

Very impressive...!  :o
I value portability more than quality for regular use, so even if it's just a test and never gets usable, I find super cool to see this tiny cam recording RAW video  8)
What was the actual video resolution for 1080p mode?

kitor

D8 cams have buffer >= 1920x1080, so is is true 1080p+.
Not tested for line skipping/binning atm (R does binning).
Too many Canon cameras.