[HARDWARE PROBLEM] 5D MII dead after installing magic lantern y

Started by HollyLM, August 22, 2012, 05:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HollyLM

A friend convinced me to install ML. Booted camera a few times learning the menu (no problems), but the next day (yesterday) when attached to battery pinch pack battery got a weird battery error (it was really quick and I thought it had the number 33 in it?) then never worked again. I have tried several different batteries and followed all the restart/reboot suggestions found here (starting in diff modes, diff cards etc) but no go. The LED blinks when turning on but then nothing. I can press live mode and hear the mirror activate and looks like the screen activates but only black. This is probably something very easy that I am just missing. Canon firmware was current before installation. 

Previously mentioned friend said he knew ML well but has been no good. Any help will be greatly appreciated. And if there is anyone local in LA that's an ML genius I'd gladly hire you for an hour. I need the camera working by the weekend and kind of in a panic. 
Bleh

a1ex

Does it take pictures? Can you see anything with an external monitor? (TV or HDMI)

What's the meaning of "bozo" and "battery pinch pack battery"?

kihlbahkt

Nothing worse that the panic of thinking you have bricked your camera.

Turn on Camera while holding in SET button. This will skip ML load at bootup and should boot into canon firmware. Does that work?

As you describe, that problem only occurred after you installed a batt pack and that ML 2.3 was working fine prior to batt pack.

Here is text excerpt from install guide. Confirm you have tried these.
It won't boot!
• If the LED is blinking continuously, you have the wrong Canon firmware version.
• Make sure you didn't delete AUTOEXEC.BIN from your ML card. If you did, format the
card, take the battery out, and reboot.

Did you turn off your LV display accidentally?

That is all I can think of right now. Anyone else?
600D x2

g3gg0

-- removed by author, original post changed --
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

nanomad

Bozo translates to stupid.....  ::)

I've got no idea what the "battery pinch pack battery" is though,

Since the mirror works, I'd rule out the "I deleted the autoexec.bin" error...
Try powering the camera up with SET hold, this should skip ML and rule out configuration errors.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

HollyLM

Takes no pictures, can see nothing on any external device.
Battery pinch was where I was drawing the power for for the monitor, camera etc.
I meant to explain I was using the battery adapter (dc coupler?) instead of just a stand alone battery.

Bozo is just another word for idiot.

Thanks

nanomad

The error could be Err:30 which relates to shutter mechanical failure.
Maybe ML produced a LOG file, check on the card inside the ML/logs/ folder

edit: count the number of blinks you get during boot up and report back :)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

g3gg0

one idea.

are you sure your battery pack didnt cause e.g. a short circuit to the connectors in battery slot?
there are some pads that are responsible for shutter press etc.
so if your half-shutter pin there is short-circuited, the camera is disabling LV for example.
does your camera focus if you half-press your shutter?

maybe there was some electrostatic discharge that caused some electric defect. etc etc.

but that are all just wild guesses.

nanomad

Also:
- Did you leave your camera with a battery or DC adapter ON overnight?
- Did you remove the card before ML confirmation "blink"?

nanomad

HollyLM

I'm starting to think it could be some kind of battery short caused by a bad coupler or something.

It blinks about seven times then a slight pause then it stays on solid a second or so - then mirror locks.
It has the current canon firmware. The auto exec file has not been deleted.

I tried rebooting with SET held - same action. Blinks, Mirror locks, black screen.

nanomad

"then it stays on solid a second or so"
It could be ML writing a log file, did you check the ML/logs folder?

nanomad

From IRC: Possible hardware failure, Err20 reported.

ilguercio

I have some experience with a dead camera.
Last year i disassembled my 50D and ripped the button battery wires.
So, i tried to fit the black one into the connector once again and i thought it was ok like that.
After powering the camera up i could do everything within like 5 minutes and then the camera would suddenly lose power. Mirror would not come down and you could do nothing.
Turns out the wire wasn't fitted properly so the circuitof the time and date button wasn't closed.
The camera has some sort of protection and if this happens you should take both batteries out and leave the camera to discharge for something like a few hours.
Hope this is of help.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.