Ronin with 85mm lens from vehicle with 5D3 14-bit raw.

Started by allemyr, September 04, 2018, 04:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allemyr

Hi again Magic Lantern users and developers!

As I love my 5D3 with the ML 14-bit raw i post this video I made yesterday here.

There isn't any story in this, but since I really find the image quality from my Ronin M beautiful to look at I post it here :)

Took some hours to really understand how to get good statbilisation from my Ronin M with a longer lens like the 85mm used here, and it pays off and was worth it.

Processed in Davinci Resolve 15 Studio as always, and MLV to CDNG with the RAW2CDNG 1.6.1 by Chmee that I'am very glad he made!

Hope you like watching it, will improve grading later and use this setup in a video that has a story or longer thought in it.

UHD/4k upload to Youtube usually have done it.

Dmytro_ua

5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

allemyr

You meen the grading?

I grade like that. Put quite many minutes into the grade.

Francis Frenkel

I dont like the image, whatever the arguments of the author ...
The image is too overexposed and the color grading  really exaggerated, which gives an artificial rendering.
A grading like that could be very interesting for narrative reasons, in a movie, or a short... But in this case....no at all, I'm sorry.

Why using RAW to overexposed like that ? Use h264, and overexpose your shooting on set, with 264 it will be easy to overexpose without having to play with Color grading on post !!

In addition the 85mm is a focal lens not suitable for guimbal, it is a long focal length, the framing is rarely interesting due to this focal lenght.
This 85mm is a great lens, but not on a Guimbal. If you use it on a Ronin, try to find narrative reason...in this case only it could be interesting !

Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

allemyr

Quote from: Francis Frenkel on September 16, 2018, 01:58:46 PM
1. I dont like the image, the image is too overexposed and the color grading  really exaggerated. A grading like that could be very interesting for narrative reasons, in a movie, or a short.

2 Why using RAW to overexposed like that (the color grading really exaggerated)

3. In addition the 85mm is a focal lens not suitable for gimbal, it is a long focal length, the framing is rarely interesting due to this focal lenght.

Hi, yes i forgot to write in my first post that this was for testing the balance of my Ronin + 85mm. I uploaded it to Youtube to be able to see it myself to get ideas and whats working or not. Maybe shouldn't posted the video since its a test here. But I find it pretty good looking, but it's without a story since its a test of the balance of the gimbal.

I find your post very contradictive so I don't really know what I take from it. Maybe that I shouldn't upload and post tests that I do here on ML forum?

1. You don't like the image/grading, "but for with narrative reasons it could be very interesting" Ok so it can't be that bad?

2. I posted the sentence above after that, I should raw for various reasons, mostly beacause of 14-bit but also beacause its uncompressed. You have no chance doing a grade like that on H264 footage you state it yourself (the color grading is really exaggerated, which gives an artificial rendering).

3. Well I love the 85mm on the Ronin and will continue to use it, yes filming straight forward on a road isn't very interesting I agree, but I will develop the camera movements.

Well I understand that you find this video boring and bad, I should have write more clearly that it was for test purposes. I was so happy to get that kind of a balance with my Ronin so I just posted it here. I don't say that my grade couldn't be improved next time i put time in this it might be to develop the grade a bit.

sibi-manjale

the purpose of shooting in high bit depth is to get much details in highlights and shadows. if you want to burn away highlights like that, why shooting in raw? you could get it with h.264.

allemyr

Quote from: sibi-manjale on October 24, 2018, 11:36:03 PM
the purpose of shooting in high bit depth is to get much details in highlights and shadows. if you want to burn away highlights like that, why shooting in raw? you could get it with h.264.

Hi, I'am trying different grades and I can agree with you that that one isn't the best. I like a crisp image and and not a video that look like s-log, but yes I took it to far in this video. For me 14-bit is something else then retaining all the highlight info. 14-bit is more gradeable and you can push colors to the way you like. 8 bit and H264 can banding when you try to push color.

I was searching about it when i was tired of a flat look, yes mine above is to harch. But the only thing you create if you retain all highlights and dynamic range if you have a 14 bit file into a 8 bit image is a LOG image. You have to push the contrast somewhere, and I genereally like my midtones crisp which let highlights maybe a bit to high. But next video I post here will have a proper grade.

Interesting blog that discusses retaining dynamic range or "crush it" for the image.
http://noamkroll.com/color-grading-rant-why-protecting-your-dynamic-range-is-killing-your-aesthetic/#comment-501989

allemyr

I post this one here since I finally made some progress in color. Shure I still like a contrasty look but with tones.
With the last grade I tried a quite special way to twist the color which I then realised I didn't like at all.
I will continue to play with a more classic grade and work with stuff from that kind.

Here's some adjustments I made today, maybe the "black point" should get more attention from me to get a image with the right contrast.

Much happier with this one.

Lars Steenhoff

Very simple to fix,

adjust levels and move the black levels to the right as seen in the picture

As you can see in the histogram the black was completely washed out, this can be a look you are going for, but I personally would not.

allemyr

Hi,

Thank you! Yes will to that next time I grade, felt a bit dumb after uploading that I just had focused on the highlights and roll them off nicely, will do both next time :) as you say!
And these interior shots are the worst of them in the upload. The rest I like more and will just adjust slightly.

allemyr

Since I posted the old video here I post the updated here aswell :) maybe double post  :D

jpegmasterjesse

Hey! Nice video!

I will say though - I think every single shot in your video needs to be brought down 1 or 2 EV. The whites are so hot it's almost hard to look at - and you're essentially desaturating your shots they're so bright.

allemyr

Quote from: jpegmasterjesse on February 24, 2019, 11:42:15 PM
Hey! Nice video!

I will say though - I think every single shot in your video needs to be brought down 1 or 2 EV. The whites are so hot it's almost hard to look at - and you're essentially desaturating your shots they're so bright.

Hi, yes the first video in this thread isn't to nice grading wise.