Shooting stills and video in 2.55 Cinemascope

Started by robinhood, August 31, 2018, 02:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robinhood

It's time for an ML masterclass.
First-time poster and I have 3 issues all related to the same creative goal of using my ML 5DIII as a viewfinder to location scout by taking video and stills in the true cinemascope aspect ratio of 2.55:1.
I am using the magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.5D3123

I'm making a feature with actual x2 anamorphic lenses on the RED DSCM and will be exhibiting a final aspect ratio of 2.55 ala La La Land, Rebel without a Cause, and the original cinemascope films of the 1950s.

Q1) Does anyone have custom crop marks for 2.55??? One with and without the rule of thirds, and even a label stating 2.55 in the black letterbox would be ideal.
While here, also same for  future reference and use- does anyone have 2.20 (large format Super 70mm Panavision ala Lawrence of Arabia and 2001 Space Odyssey)??

I'm basically looking for this but for both 2.55 and 2.20

I am going to use spherical lenses to frame for the equivalent horizontal field of view of the given anamorphic lenses being used. For example) 12mm prime for the HFOV of the 25mm anamorphic and 18mm prime for the 35mm anamorphic. In order words, my location scouts will be for the purpose of framing compositions and not  for replicating stills or footage with the proper DOF.

Q2) My camera is set to Resolution of 1920x720 @1.00X (which is grayed out) and the Aspect Ratio is at 2.67:1.
This is good for shooting video footage since it is the exact aspect ratio and image size captured in-camera before resize/cropping in post to 2.55, BUT... is there a way to create a custom crop and image size when using stills mode with ML??? It is rather absurd to think one can be in movie mode, put on the guide frames for 2.67, have the video resolution and aspect ratio match that same frame size, yet it can't take a still of that vary image at the same size..... doesn't seem all that intuitive. especially when the picture profiles will even carry over yet the stills will always revert back to 16x9.
Bottom line, I don't want to have to go through hundreds 16x9 photos, pick out the best ones and add a 2.55 matte onto each one individually. This would not be a manageable workflow for preproduction. There's gotta be a way!

Q3) On that note, same goes for the video footage-- sure 2.67 is what is captured when shooting in 4:3 mode, but I'm shooting with spherical lenses, (as are the majority dslr shooters) and in 16x9 mode... so why is there a 2.50 mode when that has never been a capture or exhibition format in the history of filmmaking?! Honestly, I always thought the developer just had bad info and accidentally or unknowingly mixed up the original standard at 2.50, when it was always and will forever be 2.55.
So the real question is: is there a way to create and set custom user aspect ratios for the image format of both stills and video? In this case, 2.55 would be 1920x754
It seems like it's always just been a knowledge goof and I'm so surprised it hasn't been corrected since 2.50 has never been and will never be a format.

4). This all brings me to my last headache, which may in fact, be the solution to the user modifications I seek. I just attempted to use the latest experimental 4k crop rec build magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3123-1

But it errored occured upon restarting the camera after turning on the MLV play, rec, and sound options. Here's the error message...

short beautiful poems

Is there a more stable version out there than this? Has anyone else gotten this problem? Perhaps I simply downloaded incorrectly? -> I reformatted my sd card, dragged the files of this one onto it, did the firmware update, all good, but then it error's when initializing the modules upon the restart.

Regardless, it's not important for me to shoot stills or footage above 1080p for location scouting, yet from what I understand, this experimental build allows for the use of various additional aspect ratios, the higher resolutions can now actually be selectable (none of mine above 1920 have ever been selectable thus far), and crop factors options are not added (the crop rec module isn't listed to be initialized on the normal build).... So let me know if I'm tracking properly with what additional can and cannot be done with the new 4k build to give solutions to aspirations above.

5)--- And also, does this 4k crop build in question also include the reduced 10 and 12-bit options all in the same build or is that hack only available as one or the other type option for users to upload and use?? In other words is it like hey, you can use only one build at a time... the stable nightly build, the 4k crop, or the reduced raw but depth build....I really hope this is not the case cause if I can use whatever combination of crop, resolution, and bit depth, all at once, then that would be like using a real functional cinema style camera!

Please advise

reddeercity

QuoteI just attempted to use the latest experimental 4k crop rec build magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3123-1
But it errored occured upon restarting the camera after turning on the MLV play, rec, and sound options. Here's the error message...
Since you where about to find the experimental 4k for 5d3 you would think you would have Fully read the requirements .
Your answer is there .
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

allemyr

Quote from: robinhood on August 31, 2018, 02:18:17 AM
Bottom line, I don't want to have to go through hundreds 16x9 photos, pick out the best ones and add a 2.55 matte onto each one individually. This would not be a manageable workflow for preproduction. There's gotta be a way!

Please advise

Well, you can batch that process so easy, will be one click for all the photos! One click is definetly managable.

robinhood

how??? one click?

I have the free trial of LR and did have the trial for PS

aaaaa what's an app that I could use for a simple one-click batch apply function of adding a transparent center letterbox BMP or PNG atop all these pics?

I do not want a permaneant crop of 16x9 photos into 2.55:1
I want to simply add a letterbox photo on top of the original- save as - and then have the new pic.
In other words, I need a padding, or picture frame border, or layering function?