Sony SDXC SFG1G SF-G64 (super speed for ML?)

Started by adrjork, August 29, 2018, 10:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrjork

Hi, I'm a ML user on 5D3. I've always used CF cards (SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash 256 GB) for shooting RAW, and the CF gives me about 90MB/s that is sufficient for few minutes in 5:3 or continuous 16:9.
Now, Sony made a super-fast card: SF-G64 and SFG1g. It's not a CF card, but only a SDXC that declares W:299MB/s.
My question is: can the 5D3-ML take advantage from this new card? Could I obtain better performance with the Sony SDXC than with the SanDisk CF? Could I shoot continuous 3:2?

Thanks

Walter Schulz

allemyr

Well your Extreme Pro 256gb already have higher speed then the Canon CF interface can handle. Even the 5D Mark IV can't handle above 105megabytes/s, and your card is 150mb/s both read and write. It won't get any faster the 5D3 interface is the limit, and those UDMA 7 CF cards has higher write speeds.

I have a Lexar 256gb 1066X card myself and don't get above 105mb/s writing to card in 5D3 camera. While doing a test with the card in cardreader i get 150mb/s both ways (read/write).

100mb/s isn't bad, i think most of those Red cameras with RedSSD's just write at 225mb/s and then we talk about 8k raw, ok shure they compress it when shooting 8k raw to fit into 225mb/s.

100mb/s is extreme for videorecording in raw with a camera that is over 6 years old, thats crazy over SIX years! And this high quality :)

adrjork