Fps override purple

Started by Nickm45, August 24, 2018, 06:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickm45

Hi, I am just starting to play around with magic lantern and tried a time lapse video of clouds. Everything looks normal in video mode until I switch to fps override 1fps,and the whole sky goes a pink/purple colour. It disappears with higher fps(10) and gets darker with lower fps. It looks as if the sky is overexposed and this is some sort of warning, but all looks fine without override. This is not an overlay as it appears on the entire footage. I've looked through the forum but can't find a solution, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Nick

PaulHarwood856

Hello Nickm45,

Which Canon camera are you using? For the Canon 7D, setting the white level to 12,000 in Batch_mlv_in-out (has MLV Dump for Windows). I would make a copy of the .mlv file, and then try setting the white level. That way you can compare, and the original .mlv remains unchanged. I don't know if 12,000 will work with your camera model, but hopefully someone else can tell you what white level fix (if that is the problem) you need, once you state what camera you are using. I hope this helps.

- Paul

Nickm45

Hi Paul, Thanks for your reply. I am using a 550d, I tried adjusting the white balance but this just changed the purple colour from blue to red. Can't seem to find a white level mlv option on my menu. maybe the 550 doesnt have those settings. Any way thanks for your advice will keep looking for a white level function. Any other help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

PaulHarwood856

Hello Nickm45,

12,000 for White Level should work for the 550D as well. Here is a link to Batch_mlv_in-out: https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/batch_mlv/downloads/ This works on Windows and Mac. You will see an option to set white level manually. Please let me know if this works, and if you need any other help.

- Paul

Nickm45

Hi Paul, thanks for the link, I'm not sure if I understood how to use it exactly, but will look at it some more. is it a post processing fix? If so it could be useful but I'd ilke to find the solution in camera. Thanks anyway for your help. Will let you know how if I have any success with it.
Thanks,
Nick

PaulHarwood856

Hey Nickm45,

Sometimes when skies are blown out, especially the sun, you'll have magenta (or purple?) in the highlights. You'll need to fix when converting .mlv files (whichever ones have the incorrect white level) to dng sequences. So, click this link:  https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/batch_mlv/downloads/ , then download batch_mlv_in-out. Then, extract the .zip file. I still don't know if you're using Mac or Windows, however here are the instructions for white level fix in Windows. It should be similar for Mac. Click on the batch_mlv_in-out folder. Inside you'll find batch_mlv.bat. Right click it, and choose open. You'll be prompted with a window that is asking for your input folder. Choose the destination where you have the .mlv files (keep them inside a folder). Next, type 17, then type Enter. This will ask you to specify the white level. From there, type 12,000. Then, type Enter. Then type R (for run batch_mlv). Then where your destination folder is, there will be a new folder created called ORIGINALS. There also will be separate folders for each dng sequence. Then, you can create a folder called DNGs, place all the dng sequences folders inside the DNGs folder. Then, you can import the DNGs folder, which will import all the dng sequences folders. I suggest using the SmartImport2 After Effects Script. This will save you a lot of time when importing dng sequences. I have provided a link below. Also, I suggest purchasing Cinelog-C, which works with Adobe Camera Raw. I will provide a link below for you to check out. Then adjust white balance for any dng sequences that need it (you should try to custom white balance with a grey card in camera if possible), add any lens corrections (for vignetting and distortion), make sure Cinelog-C is applied, save a preset for your settings, and add the preset to any other dng sequences you shot at the same time and place. You can create a folder before importing for a codec you wish to use. I suggest ProRes 4444 XQ or GoPro Cineform 12 bit RGB, or Avid DNxHR. For each codec, with Cinelog-C added in Adobe Camera Raw, you will be able to recover highlights. After you have adjusted all of your dng sequences in Adobe Camera Raw, and have chosen a codec in SmartImport2, this script will create dng sequences in compositions. Then the compositions will be in your After Effects Render Queue with the codec you have chosen. Click Render Queue. Also, make sure in After Effects, in Preferences, set the frame rate (aka fps). For example if you shot in 23.976 fps, then enter that. This will set the fps for all of your future compositions. If you have different clips with different fps, you can change the frame rate in Preferences after you have imported all dng sequences for that fps. For example, if you have 5 .mlv files with a fps of 23.976, then add 23.976 into Preferences. If you have 5 more .mlv files with a fps of 1, then enter 1 for frame rate, then import those dng sequences, and compositions will be created with 1 fps. You can keep each fps in different folders once you process the .mlv files in dng sequences. I usually have a 23.976 fps folder and a 59.94 fps folder. Also, SmartImport2 works with audio as well. I realize this is a lot of information, and some of it might be confusing. You will get the hang of it if you keep shooting and editing. Just stick with it because the results are amazing, trust me. Please let me know if something I said was confusing. I hope this is helpful for you, and feel free to post more about the purple colors issue you are having.

- Paul

SmartImport2 After Effects Script: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12422.msg119832#msg119832

Cinelog-C: https://www.cinelogdcp.com/cinelog-c-for-acr-user-guide/

Nickm45

Hi, I am still having problems with this. I noticed that when iso is 6400 the problem disappears so it might not be an overexposure problem. Then if I switch down to 3200 it's still OK. But if I get a from 1600 to 3200the purple remains. Seems to be on anything but 6400. It's just on the bright whites of the image. Might this be a bug or a know issue? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Nick

Danne

Please upload a mlv or dng with the issue you are describing. Too many variables to start determing things.

Nickm45

Hi, When in filming in mlv RAW the problem doesn't occur on the recorded video but it is there in live view. If I record in normal video the problem is there, I have included a .mov file. When in live view in Manual mode there is no purple, only when I switch to movie mode live view. So the normal video seems to record what is in live view, including purple, but mlv RAW doesn't seem to for some reason. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Here's the link to the mov. file, https://1drv.ms/v/s!AthjCIC3zig9jAxKBfTkJpOoDkLf

Danne

Need mlv or dng file.
What exact setting are you using?

Nickm45

Hi Danne, I couldn't seem to upload an mlv file, only standard image files, but the mlv doesn't have the same issue, it's only the original mov. File which is affected. I suppose shooting in raw would solve the problem but I still get the purple in live view. My settings are 1 fps, issue also seems to clear up at 10 fps.

Nickm45

Hi, it only seems to affect speeds of 2.5 fps and lower.

a1ex

Look in the Modified settings tab - there may be some sort of digital ISO gain set to strong negative value (such as -2).

There are exposure limitations with FPS override on old models, but I'm working on something portable to fix this (just cannot predict when it will be ready). Shutter speeds with FPS override are currently working properly on a few recent models only (60D and 5D3 tested by me, 600D and 1100D are probably like 60D, 6D is probably like 5D3 and... that's pretty much it).

For now, you should be able to override shutter speed registers directly with adtg_gui (you will need the experimental builds for that and a bit of trial and error).

Nickm45

Solved! Constant expo setting was checked in fps override menu. It says may cause pink highlights,which was exactly the problem. Thanks for all your help.