Advise on choice: 5Od, 7d, eos m

Started by stickFinger, August 17, 2018, 08:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stickFinger

Hello all
I'm planing to set up my first raw camera and would love to get your input here about the one to go among the models above.
I'm using ML with my old 600d for about two years and I just love it.
Here in my country the 50d, 7d and the EOS M are in the same range price so I'd go for quality.

Thanks a lot😉

12georgiadis

Go for 7D + vaf filter + 1000x komputerbay card

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

12georgiadis

stickFinger

Interesting. Despite of adding around if 300 bucks to the whole package the results seem beautiful 😊

I must confess that I'm very interested on trying some different vintage lenses eg. Canons FD, c mount and even some pl mounts. That's why I consider de Eos M.
Have you ever used one?

50mm1200s

Quote from: stickFinger on August 18, 2018, 12:29:20 AM
Interesting. Despite of adding around if 300 bucks to the whole package the results seem beautiful 😊

I must confess that I'm very interested on trying some different vintage lenses eg. Canons FD, c mount and even some pl mounts. That's why I consider de Eos M.
Have you ever used one?

Not the same guy, but, my recommendation: stay way from FD's. They need a optical adapter to work on EF mount and these adapters generally add chromatic aberrations and other optical problems.
Nikkor lenses, on the other hand, work very well. I use currently a 55mm f/1.2 Nikkor-S.C, it's a very good lens.
C mount and PL mount lenses are too expensive, probably not worth it.

12georgiadis

Quote from: stickFinger on August 18, 2018, 12:29:20 AM
Interesting. Despite of adding around if 300 bucks to the whole package the results seem beautiful [emoji4]

Have you ever used one?

A better solution is to buy modified 7d with PL mount. Arround 600$ on eBay
C-mount is ok with eos-m but crop mode is the only mode without aliasing

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

PaulHarwood856

Hello stickFinger,

Although I recommend Nikkor glass and a VAF-7D filter (I'm currently using), you can purchase a conversion kit for Canon FD lenses from Ed Mika: https://edmika.com/

It's more expensive than purchasing a Canon mount for Nikkor glass and rear cap, but I figured I would let you know. Definitely don't buy the adapter with glass, the image is quite degraded after using that adapter.

If you have any questions on what I typed above, please let me know.

- Paul

stickFinger

Hi guys
Thank you all for your valuable info.
I've been using a set of vintage Pentax ( 28mm, 50mm, 105mm, 135mm ) on my 600d with nice results. I must try some Nikon glasses though😐

But talking about buffer size ( continuous raw rec) and image quality are there substantial difference between a 7d and EOS M?

Once again, many many thanks😉

PaulHarwood856

Hello stickFinger,

You're welcome. I have the 600D and still really like that camera. I found (before 10 bit / 12 bit build) I was limited in raw recording because of the 21 mb/sec bottleneck for SD cards. So I invested in the same sensor in a Canon 7D. This camera still amazes me, and I love using it. I use anti aliasing and moire filters from Mosaic Engineering with these cameras, and am really impressed. However, resolution is degraded when these filters are installed and using 3x crop mode. It can be a bit of a pain switching to both modes, and apparently photo resolutions are a bit degraded as well. I've learned to work with the 7D's limitations, and still get great results. People are really happy with the EOS-M as well, and the experimental builds have increased it's video potential. The 7D is hard to reverse engineer because it's dual digic. This doesn't mean it can't be done, but it seems the EOS-M is easier for developers. If you have any other questions please let me know. I hope this helps.

- Paul

stickFinger

QuoteYou're welcome. I have the 600D and still really like that camera. I found (before 10 bit / 12 bit build) I was limited in raw recording because of the 21 mb/sec bottleneck for SD cards
That's why I still keep it and at the same time makes me look for a more robust raw system.
I've read about the "SD card hack" too, so....😉

I recently get a Sankor 16 anamorphic and hope to get some good results soon.
One of the reasons to look to EOS M is the huge variety of lenses I could use (yes, I'm a big fan of the oldies😉).
I must decide soon. Today the dollar is about 4x my currency🤑🤑

Thank you Paul

tupp

Yes.  The huge variety of lenses and adapters is a significant advantage of the EOSM.

With the right adapter, you can use C-mount (and PL mount), 16mm lenses that work wonderfully with the new EOSM raw crop modes, but you cannot do the same with any of the DSLRs -- not without an expensive, perilous mod.

You can also use speedboosters/focal-reducers on the EOSM to essentially give a full frame look when used with a full frame lens, and gain an extra stop of exposure, to boot!  The APS-C DSLRs can't take speedboosters/focal-reducers.

Also, you can use other special adapters on the EOSM, such as tilt/swing or tilt/shift adapters, which are perfect for full frame lenses on an APS-C sensor.  Again, this is not possible on the DSLRs.

The biggest drawback of the EOSM is the slow SD card controller, but the recent ML advances in SD card overclocking have largely overcome that issue.

PaulHarwood856

Hey stickFinger,

You're welcome. Ok I understand. Is the SD card overclock available for the 600D?

- Paul

12georgiadis

Quote from: tupp on August 22, 2018, 10:09:55 AM
Yes.  The huge variety of lenses and adapters is a significant advantage of the EOSM.

With the right adapter, you can use C-mount (and PL mount), 16mm lenses that work wonderfully with the new EOSM raw crop modes, but you cannot do the same with any of the DSLRs -- not without an expensive, perilous mod.

You can also use speedboosters/focal-reducers on the EOSM to essentially give a full frame look when used with a full frame lens, and gain an extra stop of exposure, to boot!  The APS-C DSLRs can't take speedboosters/focal-reducers.

Also, you can use other special adapters on the EOSM, such as tilt/swing or tilt/shift adapters, which are perfect for full frame lenses on an APS-C sensor.  Again, this is not possible on the DSLRs.

The biggest drawback of the EOSM is the slow SD card controller, but the recent ML advances in SD card overclocking have largely overcome that issue.

do you have a link to the speedbooster for eos-m ?

stickFinger

Quote from: PaulHarwood856 on August 22, 2018, 05:44:33 PM
Hey stickFinger,

You're welcome. Ok I understand. Is the SD card overclock available for the 600D?

- Paul

According to this thread
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12862.msg204150#msg204150

I guess it's not till know. Maybe in the near future😊

PaulHarwood856

Hey stickFinger,

Thanks for the reply and the link. Much appreciated.

- Paul

12georgiadis

[email protected]

Hi. Im in the same of my bro. Ive been used raw video in my 600d for two years, and i love it. Im planning to upgrade for other camera, and i was looking for the 50d, cause it is 70mb/s card, same as the 5d mk ii.. However with this new sd card hack the EOS-M becomes an option for me, cause is possible to record 2.5k RAW, right?

In my country, Brazil, both camera are R$1.000,00  =/ yes....
Should I go 50d or EOS-M? Why choose 7d I don't know.. is a lot expensive and just 40mb/s Right?
So... 50d or EOS-M?

The greatest point for me is: 2.5k just in crop mode.. but what about no-crop mode?

EOS-M >>

* What are the resolutions for continuos and for few seconds?
*How are the results with moire and aliasing in non-crop mode? Same as my 600d? If it is is fine to me ;)
*If should I use just in 5x crop mode, is 1.6x crop factor from APS-C then plus 5x from the crop?
So it is impossible to shoot a subject near from me cause it has a lot of zoom?

In my 600d I use an 18mm lens and put it in 720p, what give me 6s of continuous, is just fine for me, I can shoot near my subject, I can even use my 50mm 1.8 the I love, some time i use the 55-250mm all in no-crop mode, what give me a nice range. ......... BUT in the EOS-M ll not allow me to do that?

I don't know if I make myself clear, however sorry for bad english and thanks for someone with a goos soul to help me to choose..

Before I go  I have another questions hehehe.....

* what about the EOS-M battery shooting in raw, cause i didn't see any battery grip.

Blaurung

I understand the financial problem but the full frame is the best choice for filming

domo94

Hey there, if you want to keep it hobby-like and solid low light, get the 50D because full frame.

If you want to have a more powerhorse workflow, I say 7D because I use it with the VAF filter.
I answer all your possible questions here - https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=22875.msg209360#msg209360

dfort

Quote from: domo94 on December 15, 2018, 11:35:40 PM
...get the 50D because full frame.

Fact check -- according to the Canon specifications the 50D is an APS-C sensor camera.

Quote from: Blaurung on October 12, 2018, 01:46:06 PM
...full frame is the best choice for filming

For over 100 years the standard in filmmaking was 35mm film shot with an aperture of about 24mm x 18mm -- close to the size of an APS-C sensor. Sure, there are other formats both larger and smaller but which is the best choice is rather subjective. In filmmaking IMAX has its place as does Super 8.

Back to the OP -- these are all APS-C (crop sensor) cameras with very different characteristics. The 50D wasn't designed to shoot video but it can with ML, though without audio. The 7D is a dual processor professional grade camera that was very popular in its 5-year run, which is a long time for digital cameras. While the EOSM was Canon's first rather unsuccessful attempt at a mirrorless camera but with the right adapter you can mount almost any lens from C-mount to PL, though you can't use Micro Four Thirds and a few other lens mounts. Apple, peach, orange -- pick one.

domo94

Quote from: dfort on December 16, 2018, 07:25:23 AM
Fact check -- according to the Canon specifications the 50D is an APS-C sensor camera.

For over 100 years the standard in filmmaking was 35mm film shot with an aperture of about 24mm x 18mm -- close to the size of an APS-C sensor. Sure, there are other formats both larger and smaller but which is the best choice is rather subjective. In filmmaking IMAX has its place as does Super 8.

Back to the OP -- these are all APS-C (crop sensor) cameras with very different characteristics. The 50D wasn't designed to shoot video but it can with ML, though without audio. The 7D is a dual processor professional grade camera that was very popular in its 5-year run, which is a long time for digital cameras. While the EOSM was Canon's first rather unsuccessful attempt at a mirrorless camera but with the right adapter you can mount almost any lens from C-mount to PL, though you can't use Micro Four Thirds and a few other lens mounts. Apple, peach, orange -- pick one.

Oops, I stand corrected.

Yes, they are APS-C. Honestly, for what everything is worth, get the 7D over it all, be prepared to learn its quirks.

Soon, dfort will crack the code and make the 7D a super powered beast for RAW shooting. ;)
More than what it is already.

7D imitates the super 35 mm film look the closest, as well. To what I've been able to gather!