[SOLVED] Canon 5d Mark II Bricked?!?!

Started by dreyko777, August 14, 2018, 06:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreyko777

I'm not sure quite where I went wrong initially, but then I accidentally cleaned out some files from my card and everything quickly went downhill.

My camera appeared not to turn on. I reformatted the CF card to FAT on my Mac, and my camera would turn on now, and the lens autofocuses when I immediately turn it on, but then it doesn't work on command afterward. The LCD screen on the back doesn't turn on, but when I shut off the camera, the LCD screen turns on to tell me it's cleaning the sensor.

I've removed the battery for the clock display, and replaced it with fresh batteries, different lenses, everything. I think I messed up something with the ML software, because the recovery auto executes don't seem to be functioning. Does anyone else have some things to try to save it?!?! Am I looking at a hefty bill now?

edit:
So I was able to get it partly working again, Camera turned on initially in [CA], and then I took some photos and really quickly hit the menu. That, for whatever reason, caused the LCD to work for a little bit. I was finally able to reinstall the Canon operating system, but it seemed that dregs of ML were still there. I reinstalled ML, but it's not fully functioning still. Do I need to post the LOGs here? My goal is to get all functionality restored! I still can't auto-focus on command, and there is no live view on the LCD.

a1ex

Sounds like it's solved; refer to Canon user guide for the "missing" functionality, and to the install page to see why it locked up:

If you have a bootable card and have the BOOTDISK flag set in the camera (which the installer does), and you do not have an AUTOEXEC.BIN file on the card, the camera WILL NOT BOOT! It will hang and not wake up until the battery is removed.

dreyko777

This isn't solved, I don't have all functionality restored, and it keeps regressing. I was just trying to mark progress. I still don't have ML fully installed, or ML fully uninstalled. I appear to be stuck in between, and I'm not sure what to do from here.

dreyko777

The blue light is no longer turning on when I shut off the camera, but I can get the camera to boot up, and show the LCD screen, but I cannot access the menu screen whatsoever.

dreyko777

Dang, I wish I would have read that this software could potentially destroy my camera :\. I really hope this isn't what happened :(:(.

g3gg0

first of all - you never installed ML onto your camera or replaced your firmware.
ML only enables a "boot from card" flag in the camera and enables a "boot flag" on the card where ML binaries are installed.
your camera's flash doesnt contain any code from ML.

did you use a new card?
can you make a video?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

a1ex

Just FYI - after taking the battery out and formatting the card, OP reported the camera is working again.

(I was hoping he'd also update the status, but...)