The Heatwave - Magic Lantern Raw 3K

Started by Rob Curd, August 11, 2018, 12:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Curd

I had some spare time before a photoshoot in Brighton and decided to play around with some Magic Lantern 3K. I shot at 3008 x 1536 in 24p. I used the Footage app for Mac and applied a S-Log3 preset. Exported to Prores 444 and edited in Premiere Pro.

This week I toyed around with buying a Canon 1DC but there is something still special about the 5D Mark III with ML.

https://youtu.be/g_02Cs2EJGA

limey

Nice - what's the footage app? I'm using mlvfs for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

axelcine

Very nice movie - horisontal lines were perfect, and colours are excellent. Good work. Why invest in a 1DC - it may be faster for sports and action, but video, ML etc. really call for a 5D3. As Ken Rockwell still says today: The best all-round camera in the world...
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

Rob Curd

Quote from: limey on August 11, 2018, 08:08:28 PM
Nice - what's the footage app? I'm using mlvfs for everything.

I found it on this forum ages ago. Its a long workflow but I use it to add a S-Log 3 profile and export to pro res, perfect for me. It's a Mac only app as far as I know.

Rob Curd

Quote from: axelcine on August 11, 2018, 09:55:42 PM
Very nice movie - horisontal lines were perfect, and colours are excellent. Good work. Why invest in a 1DC - it may be faster for sports and action, but video, ML etc. really call for a 5D3. As Ken Rockwell still says today: The best all-round camera in the world...

Thank you so much! I guess the 1DC is attractive for the fact it can shoot reliable 4K with live view. I struggle with focusing on the higher ML resolutions and getting anything over 3.5K for a usable length of time.

That being said going back to 8 bit colour is not attractive!

sys73r

Quote from: Rob Curd on August 11, 2018, 12:40:51 AM
I had some spare time before a photoshoot in Brighton and decided to play around with some Magic Lantern 3K. I shot at 3008 x 1536 in 24p. I used the Footage app for Mac and applied a S-Log3 preset. Exported to Prores 444 and edited in Premiere Pro.

This week I toyed around with buying a Canon 1DC but there is something still special about the 5D Mark III with ML.

https://youtu.be/g_02Cs2EJGA

what build did you use? I can't see that resolution in the latest ones.

Rob Curd

Quote from: sys73r on August 15, 2018, 01:57:51 AM
what build did you use? I can't see that resolution in the latest ones.

Hi,

I dialed down the resolution using the toggle stick to give me more recording time :).