Are these Focus dots?

Started by khaja84, August 04, 2018, 10:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khaja84

Hi

I recorded ML Raw video using Canon 100D. When I open the MLV file in MLVAPP, I see the dots as shown in the image:

Please click on the thumbnail to view the image.

Although, the dots disappear when I select "Fix Focus Dots" /  "Fix Bad Pixels" / "Chroma Smooth 3x3" option in MLV APP.

This does happen with both 14-bit uncompressed and 14-bit lossless modules. I did not enable crop-rec 2k/2k/4k module.

ML version: magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jun30.100D101_2K-3K-4K.zip downloaded from https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/

Can any one please confirm what kind of dots are they and is it possible to record ML RAW Video with out those dots?

btw, I didn't had this issue when I used to record using 600D in legacy RAW format...

Thanks

Danne

Upload a sample mlv. Also tell what settings were used with this file.

khaja84

khaja84

Here is a sample MLV: https://mega.nz/#!ivZGBIBZ!3DCagzcQMwjgxrtBg3zvaxEJtILgxPvi6hfMtpwA794

Camera: 100D
Lens    :  50mm f1.8 II

Camera Settings
Aperture:     F2.8
ISO        :     800
Shutter  :     1/50
Video Mode: 1080p24
Focus  : Manual

ML Settings
Overlay
Global Draw: LiveView and all other set to OFF
Movie
FPS Override: 24
RAW Video: 1280x720
Data Format: 14-bit lossless
Preview: Auto
Modules
mlv_lite is the only module that is enabled.

other than that, I did not touch any other ML settings.
Please let me know if you need more information.

Danne

It´s focus dots. Should be taken care of automatically with Mlv App and works perfectly over here:

khaja84

Thanks very much for confirming, Danne.  Really appreciate your fast response.

In MLVProducer, it looks like this:

Those dots disappear only when I select the "Remove focus dots" option in MLVProducer.  Like you said, it is confirmed that they are focus dots.

Is it possible to record RAW Video with-out focus dots like 600D?
Thanks.

dfort

Quote from: khaja84 on August 04, 2018, 01:14:00 PM
Is it possible to record RAW Video with-out focus dots like 600D?

The 600D doesn't show focus pixels on raw video. The only cameras affected are the 100D, 650D, 700D, EOSM and EOSM2. At one point I thought we found the solution for shooting focus pixel free footage with these cameras but it turned out that there were still some left over focus pixels that were even harder to remove.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.msg176032#msg176032

Focus pixel removal tools in the latest MLV processing apps are working quite nicely so there shouldn't be any need for users to worry about it.

khaja84

Actually I sold my 600D and purchased 100D recently.
The 600D was limited to only 960x540 @ 14 bit.

The RAW Video of 100D after editing looks Gorgeous! (comparable to multi-thousand dollars Cinema Cameras) and thanks to MagicLantern Team for making it possible with $250 Camera.

I can't really express how excited I'm with the way you take MagicLantern to the new heights:
With 8/10/12/14 bit RAW Formats and that too with uncompressed and lossless options
With 2.5K,3K,4K recording options in crop mode (I'm able to record 2.5k continuously)
With SD Overclock Hack (I'm getting 67MB Write Speed even though 100D is limited to 40 MB)
Dual ISO, HDR Video ....and the list goes on.....

One more aspect that excites me most is the fact that I can record 2K or more RAW Video internally with a small DSLR Camera  compared to bulky Cinema Cameras that need big setups and rigs.

coming from 600D, after seeing those dots I thought that there is some Hardware problem in my Camera. I placed a question here just to confirm that. Even though focus pixels are coming in the way of RAW recording, you provided the solution to remove those dots to get clean footage.

Thanks to Danne and dfort for confirming and clarifying my doubts.

btw, I purchased Canon only because of MagicLantern and I think Canon should share profit with you guys!  :P (Seriously, you deserve it)

Danne

Cool. 100D is a cool little machine. Most work has been done by Nikfreak porting all ml greatness into this cam.