Uncompressed RAW 4k Canon 5D Mark II?

Started by snowwolfentertainment, March 03, 2018, 11:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowwolfentertainment

I have a canon 5d mark ii and the magic lantern setup isnt letting me select a higher resolution than 1856x790 in 2.35:1 format. I want to record in 3520(whatever the 2.35:1 equivalent is). I can select it, but it doesn't tell me the speeds at the bottom and when i select it and go back it still shows 1856x790. Is there a setting to film in the preferred resolution? Or is that it? If so, where are all of these 4k 5d mark ii videos coming from.

Canon 5D Mark II
Lexar Professional 1066x 16gb 160 mb/s transfer speed, 95 mb/s write speed. I also have the 32gb version of this exact same card, also with magic lantern installed.

zims

The 5DII cannot record 4K even with ML. I replied to your other topic as well letting you know you need to do a little more digging in the forum as these are questions that are answered almost daily.

The clips you are seeing that say "5DII 4K" are 2K (or close to it) clips that are upscaled to 4K. When you record RAW you are recording a ton of information, massive files. With all this information you can easily stretch your video to a 4K resolution without losing much (if any) details or image quality. I don't recommend even bothering with ML on your mk2 if all you want is 4K, however if you can settle for amazing image quality which can then be colour graded and manipulated then ML is a good solution.

Everyone always recommends buying the 5Dmk3 if you have the money, as that is the single greatest ML camera made.

zims

@reddeercity

So this is 4K (or 3.6, close enough). You're telling me that with a top level CF card you can record even 1 second of this? In my experience using decent cards you can only do around 1080p continuous shooting.

I don't consider 3 seconds of 4K to be useful from a professionals standpoint. I would also like to state that I'm not trying to be combative here, I'm a noob when it comes to ML however I like to be realistic.

reddeercity

Quote from: zims on April 30, 2018, 08:45:56 PM
@reddeercity
I don't consider 3 seconds of 4K to be useful from a professionals standpoint.
Really , where did I say it was even close at this stage , if you don't know (and you should ) this forum & ML is not for Professional film maker , etc.   .... It's a hobby and should be treated as just that .
Even thou many try using it as if it was -- some have good or great success  but most struggle greatly (just read some of the post production posting)
@reddeercity
.... when it comes to ML however I like to be realistic.
Will you are not very realistic ,
I do part time developing & full time film maker with ML on my 5D2 , so I'm Very realistic about ml and I know what it can do and what it's capable of .
You need to really search & read about what possible here ! for example 10 &12bit raw in 1:1 (FHD) mode is now a reality (just a few months ago)
@reddeercity
..... You're telling me that with a top level CF card you can record even 1 second of this?
No I never said or implied it could at this stage -- but is very close in recording Lossless Compressed Raw ( there's  that reading & searching thing again)
ProcessTwoInTwoOutLosslessPath   and  here

@reddeercity
...... In my experience using decent cards you can only do around 1080p continuous shooting.
So does (2K) 2144x1076 @ 23.976 fps in 10bit uncompressed raw count ?
records @ 65MB/s +audio in 3x crop_mode .

OK I'll stop but do get the picture yet ?
nothing is impossible here just the wiliness to contribute to the bigger picture , it take many people here to help develop ML

dariSSight

Thanks for the improvements Reddeercity, I've found sometime to test your bleeding edge 12bit and it's awesome. I did notice the first frame of the clips has some image defects (https://vimeo.com/284515399), but 99% of what is recorded is 12bit RAW, I will also test out the 10bit 1856x1254 because I'm looking forward to doing something with the full sensor image. By the way, Objectively Magic Lantern is Industry ready for Filmmakers and Professional, I spend my time on movie set using Blackmagic Mini Pro to RED to Canon. The only thing that will stop Magic Lanter from making a Feature film is lack of effort, don't forget House MD season 6 Episode 22 the season finale "Help Me", was shot entirely with the Canon 5D Mark II with maybe Cinestyle Log native CF Card H.264, also Act of Valor film and many more. If you have a good DIT system on your set and patience for securing Take, anything is possible.
Canon 5D Mark II