Canon 5D2 remote start recording

Started by channel6dk, July 30, 2018, 11:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

channel6dk

I'm new to both magic lantern and this forum, having been a film and tv photographer with big cameras that fit on the shoulder right out of the bag for almost 40 years, but having worked with the 5D as a stills camera for 5 years, I've taken the plung into DSLR filming - mainly to be able to use my old FD lenses.

I've bult myself a decent rig that I'm quite happy with - the ergonomics resemble (almost) a broadcast TV camera, but one thing that I still haven't solved is a way to start a film recording - especially when handheld or on the shoulder. Press to rcord - on the lens handgrip, zoom remote or rig handle is something I have always taken for granted, but with the 5D I can't see an easy way of remote controlling the start and stop of video recording.

Does anyone have good solutions for this? Better still - a way of producing a remote start/stop signal that both the 5D and a audio recorder (such as the Tascam 60DMkII) at the same time - to ensure that both machines record the same material?

I'm really hoping that someone can enlighten me on this - either with the help of Magic Lantern or any other device!

Best regards

Adrian Redmond
Channel 6 Television Denmark

Walter Schulz

I don't own a 5D2 or a Tascam 60 and I'm far from home (and my Arduinos).
1) You can use an external wired remote control to trigger video recording. Use option "Movie REC key".
2) There is an Tascam RC-10 replacement running on Arduino: https://github.com/abbrev/tascam-rc-10-remote

If you have troubles combining 2 and 1 or with Arduino at all: Just drop a line.

papair