How to shoot in H264 at 4K and lower compression than native on 5D MkIII

Started by izzy3, July 20, 2018, 07:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

izzy3

Hello everyone!

I am trying to install the Magic Lantern on my Canon 5D MkIII for the first time.

I would like to shoot at 4K. To shoot at this resolution in RAW would take up too much data so I think I would be happy with H264 if I can reduce compression compared to Canon's native.

I saw some videos on YouTube where this option is available but I cannot see it on mine (I run 1.2.3 firmware).

Can you please tell me how to:

- shoot at 4K
- shoot in H264 instead of RAW
- have HDR enabled if possible

Many thanks for your help in advance!!!

Walter Schulz

? Sorry, where do you get the information about H.264 in 4k? Link?

izzy3

I just assumed this would be possible since you can shoot in 4K RAW.

I am surprised this has not been developed as this would be a very useful feature and would really extend the feature-set of the camera.

izzy3

I tried again and I cannot figure out how to shoot H.264 at all- do I need to download additional module?

I think I would be happy even if I could reduce compression slightly and maybe shoot at a slightly higher resolution...

Walter Schulz

Quote from: izzy3 on July 21, 2018, 04:52:09 PM
I tried again and I cannot figure out how to shoot H.264 at all- do I need to download additional module?
Reset ML to factory defaults, enter movie mode, press record button. Consult Canon manual.

Quote from: izzy3 on July 21, 2018, 04:52:09 PM
I think I would be happy even if I could reduce compression slightly and maybe shoot at a slightly higher resolution...
Not available. H.264 conversion is done in hardware and - at time of writing and AFAIK - sort of a black box.

izzy3

Many thanks for your reply!

After some testing I found that shooting with Canon's H.264, with sharpness, contrast, and saturation backed all the way back, in good light, and good exposure, I can upscale to 4K and get acceptable results (little bit soft).

I want shoot a project on an iPhone X and wanted to complement it with some footage shot with longer lenses on Canon. Considering iPhone footage is compressed as well I think this could work reasonably well...

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: izzy3 on July 21, 2018, 05:37:10 PM
... I can upscale to 4K and get acceptable results (little bit soft).
I want shoot a project on an iPhone X and wanted to complement it with some footage shot with longer lenses on Canon
Maybe this is better suit you project, dude: