50D EOS FactoryConnect

Started by keyghost, July 19, 2018, 09:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyghost

hey,
i've been reading around the forums about this extra menu ("factory menu") i have on my camera, and the way my camera is connecting to my pc as "Canon EOS factoryconnect" instead of MTP.
i can't seem to find a way to disable it.

is there a way to get out of the "factoryConnect" and return to MTP over usb ?

thanks

ArcziPL

Quote from: keyghost on July 19, 2018, 09:20:38 PM
hey,
i've been reading around the forums about this extra menu i have on my camera, and the way my camera is connecting to my pc as "Canon EOS factoryconnect" instead of MTP.
i can't seem to find a way to disable it.

is there a way to get out of the "factoryConnect" and return to MTP over usb ?

thanks
Yes, using service software which each official Canon service has or SPT Software (www.spt.info) which you can either purchase on your own or ask local service shops if they have it and could switch your camera to normal mode. It'a five minutes job, so they shouldn't charge much.

Why is the factory mode enabled on your camera? You are another case on this forum, how do you guys get that? Was it like that since it was new? Was it like that after a repair? If yes, Canon did screw its job and forgot to turn it off. You could contact them and ask if they could repair it for free in such case (just an idea, I would do so, as no device should leave Canon with the Factory mode enabled), despite it's pretty old already.

If you bought the camera second hand and it was like that, then you have to pay on your own of course.

Third option: I could provide USB logs to any ML developer (a1ex?), showing switching the Factory Mode on and off. Maybe it can be then done from ML level. But there is rather little overall interest/benefit from it for ML community directly. Only doing mode advanced stuff, accessible so far from Factory Mode only (per-lens and per-AF-sensor adjustment of the AF system, to name the best one) would be a goal to really justify the effort. For interested: this actions call MonOpen, MonClose, MonRead, MonReadAndGetData, MonWrite, MonCall, which are functions of the main firmware (USB is handled by DIGIC).

Last chance optipn: I could do it for you, if you drop me your camera. But no guarantee and on your risk, so better find a service shop. Where are you from BTW?
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

keyghost

Quote from: ArcziPL on July 19, 2018, 09:44:48 PM
Yes, using service software which each official Canon service has or SPT Software (www.spt.info) which you can either purchase on your own or ask local service shops if they have it and could switch your camera to normal mode. It'a five minutes job, so they shouldn't charge much.

Why is the factory mode enabled on your camera? You are another case on this forum, how do you guys get that? Was it like that since it was new? Was it like that after a repair? If yes, Canon did screw its job and forgot to turn it off. You could contact them and ask if they could repair it for free in such case (just an idea, I would do so, as no device should leave Canon with the Factory mode enabled), despite it's pretty old already.

it wasn't like that since it was new, i'm not sure if the repair i had on it enabled it cause i haven't payed attention to it back then.
i will try asking the repair shop to disable it.

If you bought the camera second hand and it was like that, then you have to pay on your own of course.

Third option: I could provide USB logs to any ML developer (a1ex?), showing switching the Factory Mode on and off. Maybe it can be then done from ML level. But there is rather little overall interest/benefit from it for ML community directly. Only doing mode advanced stuff, accessible so far from Factory Mode only (per-lens and per-AF-sensor adjustment of the AF system, to name the best one) would be a goal to really justify the effort. For interested: this actions call MonOpen, MonClose, MonRead, MonReadAndGetData, MonWrite, MonCall, which are functions of the main firmware (USB is handled by DIGIC).

if any Dev is interested in me providing any info while i have it enabled, PM me, i will love to help the community.

Last chance optipn: I could do it for you, if you drop me your camera. But no guarantee and on your risk, so better find a service shop. Where are you from BTW?

Israel, we don't have official canon support here. only Authorized shops.

thanks for the response. i will look into it