Feature "Prefs -> EYEFI_TRICKS": What is this option doing?

Started by Walter Schulz, July 13, 2018, 03:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

I'm using an Eyefi mobi 8GB in 650D right now and feature matrix shows 650D supports this feature. Checked menus but not aware of any chances.

EDIT: Found it, I think. There should be a new menu item in Shoot tab called Eyefi Trick with some rename options to bypass Eyefi utility file transfer limitations.
Question now: Why does it not show up in dfort's latest build for 650D.105?

a1ex

These were some tricks to change file extensions so they get transferred by the EyeFi cards. Older models could not transfer CR2 files, for example, but could be tricked by renaming these files to AVI, for example.

Implementation is in src/tweaks-eyefi.c. To show the new menus, ML looks for a file named EYEFI/REQC on the card. Don't know whether new EyeFi cards use this file. I've never used it.

Walter Schulz

Thanks, a1ex!
File is there but no menu item showing up.

a1ex

Confirmed the issue in QEMU, will troubleshoot later.

Edit: broken since early 2014 (changeset d909ac438472). Lots of compile errors if enabling manually. Fix or delete? (i.e. would anyone use this?)

References: here and here.

Walter Schulz

Thumbs down here. Nobody complained since '14, anyone using it still is not our problem, we have an item less to maintain and document. And there is lua.

dfort

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 13, 2018, 03:22:13 PM
Why does it not show up in dfort's latest build for 650D.105?

Ok--so I didn't miss anything?

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 13, 2018, 03:22:13 PM
I'm using an Eyefi mobi

Is there a better way to send/transfer photos from 5d3 to computer monitor in real time? 
I want the last photo to appear on the monitor screen till I take the new picture.
Does 5d3 works with Eyefi mobi in the way I've described? Maybe it can be done with usb cable or any other technology?
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

Walter Schulz

Sorry, I'm not into tethered shooting*. I bought this card out of curiosity (to please the inner nerd).

*: Waiting for ML over PTP...

dfort

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on July 14, 2018, 11:43:10 AM
Is there a better way to send/transfer photos from 5d3 to computer monitor in real time? 

Many of the stop motion animation studios are using Dragonframe. Their software can probably do what you want.

Going off topic--found this product on their website called an EOS Live View Correction Cap. It sounds like this "fixes" an issue a1ex has mentioned before -- need to find those posts.

Quote from: Dragonframe websiteMany of the EOS cameras have a setting called "Exposure Simulation." This setting is designed to ensure the Live View image brightness matches the actual photos shot. Unfortunately Canon drops the ball with non-digital lenses. The camera actually knows the current correct exposure, hence the ability for the light metering to be correct, but fails to communicate properly to the internal "Live View Exposure Preview Calculator." Instead, the internal calculation is locked—based on the last digital lens attached to the camera.

Lars Steenhoff

eyefi mobi is a nice card that i use in other cameras like nikon df and fuji, it send the photos to my phone. tried it once with magic lantern on a 5dmk3 and did not work.