Introduction, and questions about Canon 70D

Started by berkua, July 12, 2018, 08:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berkua

Hello everyone!

My name is Michael. I used to be a photographer, and have not done much of anything in a long time. I just bought a used Canon 70D to get back into the photography world, and introduce video as a service for my clients (I am a wed developer and marketer).

I have a couple questions regarding Magic Lantern.

First, is Magic Lantern safe to use with the 70D? I see there are stable nightly builds from early 2018  ... I heard horror stories of this software completely ruining a camera. Is there a chance that this software would cause irreparable damage to my camera?

Second, I was considering getting a Squaretrade plan for my used camera purchase. Does anyone have any experience they can share about Squaretrade? Are they pretty strict about giving you service? Also, if for some reason Magic Lantern breaks the camera, is it obvious how the camera broke, or do you think I'd still be able to get it fixed under a warranty like Squaretrade?

The software looks great, and I'd love to have a lot of those features. From what I can tell, people are still really positive about the Canon 70D, even in the year 2018.

I'd love to know what you guys think.

Thanks!