Mountain bike and ski touring film

Started by Welles, July 10, 2018, 09:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welles

Hello,

Here is my new movie, shot in Switzerland. I thank you for your comments and advices: this one is much better compared to the previous one. I'd off course be happy to receive comments again on how I can improve and produce a better one next time!

Workflow:
1. 12 bit lossless raw with Danne's ML version
2. convert to CDNG file from Danne's batch_mlv
3. ACR in AE 32 bits color project, Rec. 709 color space.
4. exposition adjusted with AE exposure filter, not in ACR
5. export from AE to Cinelog-C with DNxHD 444
6. import in PP, add lumetri color with basic LUT "none", creative LUT "Cinelog universal film Rec. 709 film full"

I used 12 bits lossless raw video on a Canon 100D and a 10-18 Lens, with alternatively "crop mode" on and off.

I stopped using VisionLog, I bought the Cinelog profiles. It seems much better.

To avoid any flickering, I stopped using any slider in ACR, except sharpening and noise reduction. I wonder if I can safely use the lens distortion correction (without the vignetting correction). I miss to be able to use the clarity or dehaze filters though.

While shooting, I tried to use the "a little zebras are OK" policy for exposure, for some shots (like the one at 00:40). But now that I do not use the basic sliders in ACR, I have trouble getting the highlights back. In the Lumetri Color effect in PP, I find that only the shadows slider is helpful, but not really the white, blacks, highlights ones. I wonder if if i'm doing this right, and if I should go back to a "no zebra" policy.
100D.100B / EF-S 10-18mm IS STM / EF-S 18-55mm IS STM / EF-S 55-250 mm IS II / EF 40mm STM

khaja84

That looks awesome.
I recently purchased 100D, which version of ML you are using....
Also, could you please provide a MLV sample file recorded using 100D?

Welles

100D.100B / EF-S 10-18mm IS STM / EF-S 18-55mm IS STM / EF-S 55-250 mm IS II / EF 40mm STM

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks for sharing this. Indeed the mighty 100D + 10-18 STM combo is killer together especially with crop_rec stuff.

Quite a workhorse and yet while durable it's a powerful little toy and love how discreet it is while allowing you to capture priceless moments.

How many cards did you have to bring along w you on this trip assuming you didn't have a laptop/drive on set?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Welles

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on January 11, 2019, 09:53:38 PM
Thanks for sharing this. Indeed the mighty 100D + 10-18 STM combo is killer together especially with crop_rec stuff.

How many cards did you have to bring along w you on this trip assuming you didn't have a laptop/drive on set?
Sorry for the delay...

Thanks, I am still amazed by the quality that can be achieved by this camera!

Yes, I did not bring a laptop nor a drive, and I think I used 2 x 32GB cards to shoot, one per day.