software to process dng?

Started by psdn, July 09, 2018, 04:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psdn

I'm new to video, took a few clips with the ML crop build and MLV_DUMP to dng. I'm on Win7, so Davinci is out of the question. I know about Premiere and heard of After Effects, but I can't justify the cost if working with video doesn't move me. For it move me, I need to play for minute.

I have Openshot, but when I try to import the dng files, I get infinite "unknown field with tag XXX (0xXXX)" error/warnings. Is there some trick to clear this field in the dng file?

Something to dip my toe in would be nice. If I feel I'd like to stick too it, I'd happily do an Arch build or move to Win10 and buy a license for something; but it's a big commitment just to peak inside.

I appreciate any thoughts.

70MM13

Davinci resolve runs beautifully on win7...

Also, you can stick with openshot, but use either mlvapp or mlv producer to easily convert your mlv files to a format that openshot works with.

If openshot supports dng, perhaps it's a compression issue?  It might require uncompressed dng.  I'm just guessing here. I've never used openshot.

dfort

Quote from: 70MM13 on July 10, 2018, 06:29:13 AM

And Linux. Been testing the latest beta version at work with both of these operating systems.

70MM13

That's great to know!

I've been considering switching back to Linux, having only used it seriously for render farm nodes in the past, running blender.

psdn

Quote from: 70MM13 on July 10, 2018, 06:29:13 AM

Also, you can stick with openshot, but use either mlvapp or mlv producer to easily convert your mlv files to a format that openshot works with.

If openshot supports dng, perhaps it's a compression issue?  It might require uncompressed dng.  I'm just guessing here. I've never used openshot.

I wish I could say the same. I get the "The procedure entry point DeleteCriticalSelectrion could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll" error, and unregistering and re-registering the .dll, among other steps, does not resolve it.

I see that resolve is probably the best choice, so now instead of playing with video (which was the entire point), my task is now to make resolve run. Sigh...

Thanks for confirming it is just my system. I think I would totally buy Resolve. I do have a system running Arch, and funny thing it's used almost exclusively for crunching images for a 3D map software, but it doesn't have Resolve's video card requirements.

All I have to say is this video thing better be awesome after all the troubleshooting I'm looking at.

allemyr

If you don't got much experience from rawvideo recording and postwork it's quite much time that has to be invested to get a good looking image.

You can get really good quality from ML with a 5D3 but there are many cameras that will get similar quality for a much lower effort for new users, Panasonic GH5 is one of them!

dfort

@psdn - You don't need to buy Resolve. The free version is usually all you need. We're starting to test their newest version 15 Beta (Studio version) and it does work better with their hardware and operating system recommendations.

psdn

Quote from: allemyr on July 10, 2018, 04:12:42 PM
If you don't got much experience from rawvideo recording and postwork it's quite much time that has to be invested to get a good looking image.

You can get really good quality from ML with a 5D3 but there are many cameras that will get similar quality for a much lower effort for new users, Panasonic GH5 is one of them!

Thank you allemyr!  I appreciate your thoughts.

GH5 is a large dollar investment, and I'll likely be getting the 5DIV at some point in the future, since this camera series is good for me and I really like full frame.

I guess I was hoping for an easy entry and my post had a sense of complaining to it. I see I'll need to dig in as always. I think I'm going to do an Arch build as dfort has mentioned good results. I don't mind post work at all. I spend a lot of time on my still images, and resolve actually looks pretty awesome for color work.

psdn

Quote from: dfort on July 10, 2018, 04:41:06 PM
@psdn - You don't need to buy Resolve. The free version is usually all you need. We're starting to test their newest version 15 Beta (Studio version) and it does work better with their hardware and operating system recommendations.

I've been reading more about resolve and I thinking it may be worth the trouble. I'm going to upgrade the ole desktop a bit.

psdn

Thank you for all the replies and to everyone that put work into all this cool software!

I didn't realize the breadth of some of the things going on here. I've been photographing for years, and I love post processing still images. Been into music production for even longer. This is kinda like paradise.

70MM13

I'm running win7 sp1.  Resolve 15 beta installed without any issues.  The machine is air gapped, and nothing else was required.

I hope that helps.

It works very well for quick and convenient grading, and I can do 24fps playback with a couple of nodes in series.

I actually prefer using rawtherapee for post, even on video, although it's agonisingly slow and extremely inconvenient.

Usually I just use resolve unless it's an extremely difficult scene.

Rawtherapee has some excellent demosaicing algorithms that are far superior to amaze for very critical details.

psdn

Quote from: 70MM13 on July 11, 2018, 02:54:34 AM
I'm running win7 sp1.  Resolve 15 beta installed without any issues.  The machine is air gapped, and nothing else was required.

I hope that helps.

It works very well for quick and convenient grading, and I can do 24fps playback with a couple of nodes in series.

I actually prefer using rawtherapee for post, even on video, although it's agonisingly slow and extremely inconvenient.

Usually I just use resolve unless it's an extremely difficult scene.

Rawtherapee has some excellent demosaicing algorithms that are far superior to amaze for very critical details.

I'm in now as well. I had to perform some video driver shenanigans to get resolve 15 going.

So with Raw Therapy, it's about the batch process? It does sound agonizing otherwise.

70MM13

Yes, that's how it works.

The biggest problem is there's absolutely no video oriented workflow at all.  But if you're performing surgery on a single clip, it's not really an issue.

It's a great tool to have handy, no matter what you use.

megapolis

Quote from: 70MM13 on July 11, 2018, 02:54:34 AM
Could you please supply more detail concerning that matter? Which demosaicing algorithms do you mean? Could you please show some examples for raw and processed images? Thanks a lot.

70MM13

Here's a quick example...  It's the only suitable shot I have handy at the moment, but it gets the point across.

Amaze shot was done with mlv app.  I then saved the dng and loaded it into rawtherapee for other demosaicing, in this case RCD.  That's why the colours are different.  I did nothing to either program for colours, just defaults.

megapolis

Thanks for your images.
I've compared Amaze and RCD algorithms at RT and haven't found any noticeable difference. As I understand, at your pictures you could probably have different color spaces or different preprocessing before demosaicing, these differences could barely come from demosaicing algorithms. Please correct me if I am wrong.

bouncyball

@TOMMIE

I also can not see any really noticeable difference to be able to drag one's attention.

regards
bb

70MM13

I understand.

It's not the best example, but it's all I had readily available.

I don't need to do this often, so it would take quite some time to find better examples...

It's a real game changer for highlight issues in certain conditions.