5D Mark III - crop rec 4k 48p

Started by djvalic, July 08, 2018, 06:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djvalic

A short video of my family downtown.  Grabbed the latest crop rec 4k to mess with.  Worked out well IMO. I still can not believe that this camera mod is free.  There is so much more life left in the 5DM3.  Upscale in DaVinci to preserve quality when uploading to YouTube.

Cannon 5D Mark III // Cannon 24-70mm f2.8 II USM
MagicLantern Branch: crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd (2018-07-03)
48 fps 1920x1080 RAW DNG // Super Scale to 24fps 2160p
DaVinci Resolve Studio 15 B6

Update: After trial and error I was able to get a better the original HDR upgrade.

rebilith

Looks really nice, djvalic!
Looks so nice that I am inclined to ask you about your postprocessing. How did you achieved this colors/saturation, if I may ask?
Was all in davinci resolve? Did you process the files outside resolve? If there was some kind of software like filmconvert or lut that you used, I'd love to know if you can share the names, thanks!

djvalic

Starting with Magic Lantern
14 bit lossless >> .MLV copy to PC >> latest mlvdump with default settings and convert to .dng sequence >>
Open up DaVinci
Import in Media tab
Edit in edit tab
Color tab and make three nodes. Apply LUT to last node I do use LUTs_Color_Grading_Pack_by_IWLTBAP as the starting point. This package has three levels or strengths of LUT I use standard. After apply LUT it very saturated and start by degrading the intensity by adjusting transparency to 40-60% on LUT node. Then I use the RAW video tab (a studio only feature) to adjust video to LUT. I click the first node and use color wheels to adjust shadows and highlights per scene. Then pick second node with color selection of skin tones. I bring them back to a natural look. Also adjust with curves to keep saturation in check. I may sometimes add a 5th node with an S-curve to help with finishing contrast.

Link to LUT package https://luts.iwltbap.com

Next step is to get out of REC709 and upgrade to HDR10 2020.

rebilith

Wow, thanks for the extensive reply! Will try it out as well. Thanks again for the reply.

Cody651

Hello! Those shots look amazing! Im currently playing around with the different builds of ML and cant find this exact one you've used. Is there anyway you could direct me to a link where I could snag this build? Thank you so much

Walter Schulz

Read text and links in experimental build page below "4K raw video recording; lossless compression" and you will find a line "Branch: crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd". It might take some time to get into dev lingo ...