Canon EOS M - 9th September 2018 - lost

Started by ricardopt, July 06, 2018, 10:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricardopt

Hi everyone, here's a video from 26 April, Danne build from 24/4/2019, 1736x976, mcm rewired, mlvapp 1.6, edited in premiere pro.

ricardopt

Hi everyone, here's a video from 2nd June 2019, Danne build from beggining of May 2019, 1736x976, mcm rewired, mlvapp 1.7, film preset (small tweaks), resized to 4k... edited (no color correction or luts) in premiere pro.
I recomend to watch the video @2k or 4k.

Danne

Nice to see some eosm movie published. I would be interested to see some anamorphic shots of this kind. Maybe sharpen in post. I suspect aliasing will be much less noticing and also no need for upressing footage in post.

ricardopt

Quote from: Danne on June 04, 2019, 09:17:25 AM
Nice to see some eosm movie published. I would be interested to see some anamorphic shots of this kind. Maybe sharpen in post. I suspect aliasing will be much less noticing and also no need for upressing footage in post.

Hi Danne, do you have any settings for anamorphic in mind? About the sharpness...the videos were a lot sharper but i needed to use denoise at 70% to get rid of some "persistent" white dots, also i upsized to 4k to test it altough i know upsizing doesnt do any magic :), by the way i notice people talk about aliasing, can you tell me an example where its showing?

Thank you

Danne

Run the anamorphic lua script for basic set up. Next you can choose the anamorphic rewired preset and either 2.35:1 or 16:9.

ricardopt

About the aliasing, here's a clip with 4 different versions of the same scene:
1 - shapness =70
2 - sharpness =70 + 1 pass aliasing
3 - sharpness =70 + 3 pass aliasing
4 - sharpness =70 + 3 pass aliasing + unsharp

without "pixel peping" the first clip looks the best, jagged lines can be seen on the water strider legs etc etc but its the best one, the surface of the water, water stride body tension against the water, the ripples caused by the water stride can be seen as it should, with the other modes the jagged lines decrease a bit but all the details i said about the first clip are lost, using the aliasing filter also managed to get rid of the shakes caused by the slider i used as seen on the first clip.

Anyone knows a better way of getting rid of the aliasing?

Danne

Quote from: ricardopt on June 04, 2019, 01:24:18 PM
Anyone knows a better way of getting rid of the aliasing?
Film in anamorphic mode ;)(1x3 pixel binning)

masc

Quote from: Danne on June 04, 2019, 09:17:25 AM
I did that a while ago... I think you know the clip already... but if someone else is interested. Recorded in 1x3 2.35:1 anamorphic mode, slightly sharpenend !after! rescaling (to not rescaling/increasing sharpening artifacts).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ricardopt

Its you doing those videos :), i like the one you shot between Elgersburg and Martinroda with the glidecam with those cool panning shots. Nice work

ricardopt

my test today with 16 June build, unfortunally pink frames on all videos, but there could be a number of resons for that that i never checked (global draw, preview, sdcard brand etc) but video quality from this "under spec/old" camera is amazing...4k anamorphic, 1064x1800 resized to 4k, 12bit, no color grading apart from the rec709 profile in mlvapp, only selected 3x3 chroma and 70 sharpness.

Danne

Nice!
16:9 is hard. Kind of borderline. 2.39:1 and 2.35:1 should work better regarding frame corruption.

ricardopt

I everyone, quick test with videos from my village (countryside Portugal),16 June Danne's build, cinema lua script, 2.39 aspect, 1064x1666, 12bit, tried out the new timelapse option (3fps) but i had to speed it up 1500% to get the result in the video.

Danne

Nice! I think 2.39:1 is 1328x1666 though. Should be in the camera and seems like it in the movie too.

ricardopt

i need to get a cheap gimball (suggestions?)...software stabilizers make it worse...by mistake i resized to 3840x2160 in mlvapp but resized to 3840x1606 in premiere to get 2.39.1

ricardopt

here's a quick low light test, 16 June build, 4k anamorphic, iso 6400, denoised... in the midlle of "no where", no artificial lights around just the full moon.

ricardopt

28 July build, 1080p rewired, converted with mlvapp using "tonemaped" profile, edited in Premiere, recorded on 28 july 2019.

ricardopt

28 July build, 1080p rewired, converted with mlvapp using "tonemaped" profile, edited in Premiere, some problems with white balance, recorded on 28 july 2019.

Danne

Nice colors. What issues were you having with wb? In latest build I adreesed an obscure white level bug so if that was the issue download latest.

ricardopt

Hi, i dont know if i should even call it a "white level problem", in mlvapp if i try to make a scene less bright some pink spots start to appear at the whitest areas, i read to activate higlight reconstruction but it doesnt fix it. Its not a big problem... i have to learn how to expose scenes under bright conditions.

ricardopt

"your eyes are playing tricks on you"
July 31 build, intervalometer mode, 700 raw images converted/edited to jpeg, edited in Premiere.

ricardopt

I´ve been wanting to try out other lenses than the 22mm that came with the EOS M, EFM lenses are expensive and after watching one of Zeek's video on using FD lenses i bought the Speedbooster and some second hand lenses on ebay, total cost for the speedbooster and 6 lenses was 150 euros, quite a bargain since just one native lens costs more than that, i first tried the canon fd 28mm, its in good condition without fungus and dust and with both caps, its sharp, i need to get used to fixed aperture and get some variable ND filters, im out of my "confort zone with these lenses" and for once i think its a good thing to be out of it, just recorded some short random clips today using the 8th September build using 4k preset and only changing the aspect ratio to 16:9, all other values are the default ones, no pink frames, videos converted with mlvapp using tonemaped "profile" and playing with the shadows and highlights values, since i think the lens is sharp i just added "30" on sharpness.

Thanks to everyone envolved in all these tools.

ricardopt

Hi everyone, these videos were recorded one year ago when i was "lost" with magic lantern, i dont have the original files anymore, i converted them but never got around to make a final video with them.

marganai

Hello Riccardo. Can you tell me which version of ML you installed at eosM? . Thanks.