Canon EOS M - 9th September 2018 - lost

Started by ricardopt, July 06, 2018, 10:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricardopt

Hi everyone! Just starting on the raw video with the EOS M, will share the progress, my first attempt...

My 2nd attempt

ricardopt

My 3rd attempt with the canon eos m
1632x694, 23.976 fps, 10 bit,  3x3 720p pixel binning crop mode
exported to prores using latest mlvproducer app
color graded in premiere pro

great dragonfly close up at 01m57s

sys73r

which camera did you shoot this on?

dfort

sys73r

Quote from: dfort on July 24, 2018, 06:11:34 PM
Read the subject line.  ::)

I thought it could be one of the  M2, M3, M10, M6 or M50, looks like its just the "M" one.

ricardopt

My 4th attempt with the canon eos m
1632x694, 3x3 720p pixel binning crop mode
resized to 1920x1080 and color graded in premiere pro using cinestyle lut

the same as above but without using a lut, just modified the brightness/saturation/vibrance values a bit.

ricardopt

another video...couldn't get rid of some of the shakiness..
1632x694, 3x3 720p pixel binning crop mode
resized to 1920x1080 and color graded in premiere pro

Danne

Eosm is a very nice cam. Here is a build which let's you select mv1080p 1736x1120. The setting is in crop_rec menu.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg204949;topicseen#msg204949

ricardopt

Another one....this time 1736x976 - small colour correction

ricardopt

ricardopt

Another atempt with the EOS M and magic lantern, 1736x976, converted with mvlapp (prores 4444, rec 709), edited with premiere pro (no color correction), canon eos m footage from 35s to 2.05s.

Danne

Nice footage. Especially drone files.
Did you use mcm rewired preset? I also wonder what the anamorphic preset would deliver...

ricardopt

Hi Danne, im the one who needs to say thanks

im using the 13 february build
mv1080p 1736x1158 and then selecting 1736x976
24fps

using mlvapp (1.5) and adding a bit of sharpness, fix bad focus, chroma smooth 3x3, rec 709 profile.
premiere pro for the editing and warp stabilizer, only needed because of the warp stabilizer, otherwise not needed (only basic "cutting" and sync)

ilia3101

I like the drone shot. What version of MLV app and what settings?

Tip: I don't recommend rec709 processing mode, what it does is give you the closest to exact real world colour and output in rec709 colour space, but it doesn't look great because it doesn't take in to consideration the fact that rec709 has small dynamic range and small gamut. Tonemapped/standard/film also output in rec709 colour space, but have smooth roll off and allows you to adjust stuff, I see no reason not to use these instead ;)

Danne

Lately I put in a mv1080p "rewired" mode which gives correct realtime preview. Easier to work with if recording 16:9 footage. Also 1736x1158 works with this mode.

ricardopt

Hi Ilia3101.

i answered your questions in the previous comment, anything in particular you want to know? i'm not a professional only do this as a hobby but ill try to answer.

i had footage from my drone, gopro 5 and the eos m, and i try in vain to match the colour between them, but i couldnt do it and ended up not using any of the gopro footage record in "flat" mode.

For each second on the video i spend around 120 seconds on it, and at the end i gave up color matching and did just rec 709 because what usually was a hobby was turning out into a "nightmare"...so rec 709 was kind of a quick way out.

ricardopt

About the drone footage, i live in Portugal and the area in the video was "destroyed" by a wildfire in October 2017, the video is from december 2017, the drone is a bebop 2... nothing high end 

ricardopt

Danne thanks for the tip, i didnt have any problem with preview, i was more concentrated on getting the best focus with "magic zoom".

Thanks

ricardopt

New video test, timelapses were done by speeding up the video 3000%, photos were coming out purple, same settings as previous video.

Luther

Quote from: ricardopt on April 27, 2019, 02:39:45 AM
25th April

So much aliasing! Didn't the last experiments from Danne solved that (3x crop mv1080p MCM rewired)? The crop is a problem, but I think the Viltrox speedbooster could solve that (?). Also, the ffmpeg aliasing script on MLVApp seems to work nicely for this kind of footage...

ricardopt

Hi Luther, english is not my native language, by aliasing do you mean "jagged lines" or the "jumpiness" in the folliage in the first 16 seconds?

i've uploade the same video without any stabilizer effect added, the "jumpiness" goes away at the cost of stabilization.

masc

Quote from: Luther on April 27, 2019, 04:55:28 AM
So much aliasing! Didn't the last experiments from Danne solved that (3x crop mv1080p MCM rewired)?
3x3 produces always aliasing, because of line skipping (except 5D3). The more sharpening one add e.g. in MLVApp, the "better" moiree/aliasing is visible.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Luther

Quote from: ricardopt on April 27, 2019, 09:07:43 AM
Hi Luther, english is not my native language, by aliasing do you mean "jagged lines" or the "jumpiness" in the folliage in the first 16 seconds?

Yep, exactly that. Here is a example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing#/media/File:Aliasing_a.png

Quote from: masc on April 27, 2019, 12:29:13 PM
3x3 produces always aliasing, because of line skipping (except 5D3). The more sharpening one add e.g. in MLVApp, the "better" moiree/aliasing is visible.

My bad, I meant the 1:3 binning. Doesn't that nearly solve the aliasing issue? EOS-M is very impressive, I'm looking to replace my cameras with one too.

ricardopt

Hi everyone, here's a video from february, probably a build from the same month