Menu clean-up/redo: Debug screen, Benchmarks, Shutter Count, Filemanager ...

Started by Walter Schulz, July 04, 2018, 05:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Having an itch because of placement of benchmarks (esp. Card benchmarks), file manager and shutter count in Debug tab.
What about
1) a UTIL tab and
2) hiding Debug tab by default? Most users don't care about Debug tab and with a reason.

Benchmarking a card in cam: Householding duty IMO (yes, I'm a sysadmin).
Filemanager: Necessary to play MLV ... why hide it in Debug?
Shutter count: Some people advise to install ML for the very reason. Lookup some forum posts elsewhere, I'm kidding you not!

Levas

Agree about the weird place of filemanager and other stuff in Debug tab.
An extra utility tab sounds right.
But be carefull with hiding the Debug tab...
That's the place where sd_uhs overclock is  ;D

a1ex

We will need an icon for this new menu.

What else to put in it? (possibly moved from other menus)
- Benchmarks
- File manager
- Shutter count
- Screenshot?
- Temperature? (used by astro folks and not only)
- Lens info? (I've never used it other than for debugging purposes)
- Overclocking?
- Warnings for bad settings? (that should be mostly a set-and-forget item, maybe even baked in the defaults somehow)
- ... ?

50mm1200s

Quote from: a1ex on July 05, 2018, 09:54:11 AM
We will need an icon for this new menu.

What else to put in it? (possibly moved from other menus)
- Benchmarks
- File manager
- Shutter count
- Screenshot?
- Temperature? (used by astro folks and not only)
- Lens info? (I've never used it other than for debugging purposes)
- Overclocking?
- Warnings for bad settings? (that should be mostly a set-and-forget item, maybe even baked in the defaults somehow)
- ... ?

+1 for: File manager, Screenshot, Benchmarks and Overclocking.

Walter Schulz

Not to include:
Screenshot: All use cases I can imagine are connected to troubleshooting and tutorials. So: No, leave it in Debug.
Lens Info: Nah, as you said ...
Overclocking: No need for action right now. Bleeding edge experimental. Functionality resembles "Card warm-up", think it would better be placed there, too (if it ever makes it into unified).
Warnings: No reason to move it from prefs, IMO.

Temperature: Yes, forgot about astros ...

+ Item to hide/unhide Debug tab.

To discuss: Does it make sense to move debug options into Util tab item "Advanced/Debug" as in "Advanced settings" found elsewhere?

50mm1200s

Thought about this paper clip icon (Resolution of 46x42px, 72dpi, png optimized with pngquant and ect):

Audionut

yamlmo

-1 for hiding debug.
Quote from: a1ex on August 04, 2013, 07:38:08 PM
I prefer it to be a little on the nerdy side and attract knowledgeable people and enthusiasts; after all, ML is a tool for power users.

Walter Schulz

And here we go again ...

We have some votes:
Audionut against hiding Debug by default.
Some votes for moving some menu items.

My pick:
- File manager
- Card benchmarks
- Temperature
- Shutter count
into Util

EDIT: Found an entry for 5D3 "Unmount SD-card". I think it should be placed here, too.

Is it possible to rename Debug into Utils (avoiding creating another tab/tab icon) and use an "Debug options ..." or "Advanced settings ..." menu item to make all debug entries visible?

nikfreak

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 03, 2019, 04:03:01 PM

Is it possible to rename Debug into Utils (avoiding creating another tab/tab icon) and use an "Debug options ..." or "Advanced settings ..." menu item to make all debug entries visible?

+1 for avoiding to add another tab. Name the existing one Utils / Tools and use a "Debug options ..." submenu. Maybe make a debug module which adds that "Debug options ..." submenu
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

With ML builds getting on track after long, long time I like to address this one again.

+ getting a new home for overclocking via sd_uhs.mo. Suggestion: Move it from Debug to Prefs because it is a preference.