Audio Very Low After Turning Off AGC On T3i

Started by PhilEm, June 30, 2018, 02:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilEm

Everyone know's Canon's AGC is dreadful, so of course that's the first thing I turned off after downloading ML. Only issue is that the audio is now extremely low, with the internal mic or my Rode VideoMic. I also increased the analog gain significantly, but that only helped slightly. I also turned off the DC Filter in the Wind Filter settings but that didn't help. Any suggestions to make the audio loud without the irritating hiss of AGC? I've heard people get great sound from the Canon Rebels with external mics so I do believe this is possible. Halp!  ;)

Teamsleepkid

probably the only way to make it sound good is turn it dow. then gain it up with a better pre amp. maybe the video mic isn't good enough. i real low noise floor recorder would be better. i guess im saying its probably not possible. maybe seremonics has something?
EOS M

PaulHarwood856

Hello PhilEm,

If you are recording in camera, I would like into acquiring a Rode Video Mic Pro (older version). This has a +20 db option, which allows you to lower the in camera mic level, and remove hiss. However, if budget doesn't allow, if you record a few seconds of just silence, you can remove the hiss in Adobe Audition (and probably other audio editing software). You can capture the noise print in Audition, and this will remove the hiss in the rest of the recordings. So, like Teamsleepkid stated, you can turn up the audio recording, and as long as you have a noise print, the hiss can be removed. I believe you can do this in a free program called Audacity. You can also looked into JuicedLink, which can be acquired used online. They, unfortunately, went out of business. The only other thing I can think of, other than getting your mic as close as possible to whoever is speaking and acquiring an actual audio recorder, is to try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-JR3aUqII

I used the Irig Pre for some time, and is actually good at boosting audio levels and lowering hiss, since it acts as a preamp.

Anyways, I hope this was helpful, and please let me know if anything I said was confusing, or if I can help in any other way. Don't give up, you'll get your audio working better, just takes some practice and trial and error.

- Paul Harwood

PhilEm

Quote from: PaulHarwood856 on July 01, 2018, 06:23:23 PM
Hello PhilEm,

If you are recording in camera, I would like into acquiring a Rode Video Mic Pro (older version). This has a +20 db option, which allows you to lower the in camera mic level, and remove hiss. However, if budget doesn't allow, if you record a few seconds of just silence, you can remove the hiss in Adobe Audition (and probably other audio editing software). You can capture the noise print in Audition, and this will remove the hiss in the rest of the recordings. So, like Teamsleepkid stated, you can turn up the audio recording, and as long as you have a noise print, the hiss can be removed. I believe you can do this in a free program called Audacity. You can also looked into JuicedLink, which can be acquired used online. They, unfortunately, went out of business. The only other thing I can think of, other than getting your mic as close as possible to whoever is speaking and acquiring an actual audio recorder, is to try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-JR3aUqII

I used the Irig Pre for some time, and is actually good at boosting audio levels and lowering hiss, since it acts as a preamp.

Anyways, I hope this was helpful, and please let me know if anything I said was confusing, or if I can help in any other way. Don't give up, you'll get your audio working better, just takes some practice and trial and error.

- Paul Harwood

Thank you, Paul. That was helpful!

PaulHarwood856