t5i raw

Started by dener.3id, June 29, 2018, 04:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dener.3id

will sd_uhs.mo work with non uhs cards? I have both uhs and non ush cards, and how much do I have to worry about It bricking my camera? I don't care about my sd cards(There getting old and it's time to preemptively replace them anyway), but I do care about the camera.

dener.3id

will sd_uhs.mo work with non uhs cards? I have both uhs and non ush cards, and how much do I have to worry about It bricking my camera? I don't care about my sd cards(There getting old and it's time to preemptively replace them anyway), but I do care about the camera.

theBilalFakhouri

Why would use non uhs card since it can only perform 25MB/s max write speed? And the camera can reach up to 40MB/s without sd_uhs?
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/bus_speed/index.html

Magic Lantern can brick your camera,, for sd_uhs one SD card dead during the overclocking --> but the SD card controllers in camera didn't affected at least for now.

If you worry about bricking the camera don't use ML --> The camera can brick any time when using ML without previous warning.

Levas

The SD card interface in your camera can reach up to about 40MB/s write speed.
If your card performs (way) below that speed, SD-UHS won't help.
SD-UHS hack alters the settings of the card writer in your camera, but it only helps if your card is capable of handling those higher writing speeds.

I specially bought a new SD card to make use of the SD-UHS hack. The card that I was using before, maxed out at about 40MB/s writing speed.
And using the highest settings of SD-UHS overclocking, made it even slower, with the overclocking enabled it had max write speed of 21 MB/s.

I'm using a SANDISK EXTREME PRO SD UHS-I (C10, U3, V30) now and it's giving me about 65-70MB/s write speed, that is with SD-UHS overclock option.

As far as I know, the SD-uhs overclocking is reasonable save to use. As long as you click this option, be sure to wait till it's finished.
While the hack is testing/initializing (blinking card reader led) you must wait and do nothing in ML.
When card reader led stops blinking, all is set and you're ready to go.
There are also automated LUA scripts out there to enable the SD-UHS hack automatically at startup, but that's the tricky solution that is warned for.
Better enable SD-UHS option manually every time, chances of screwing up your SD card are a lot smaller in that case.

Here's the thread about SD-UHS hack, if you want to know all that is about and risks involved, read all 12 pages:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12862.msg185968#msg185968

dener.3id

Quote from: Levas on July 06, 2018, 08:01:39 PM
The SD card interface in your camera can reach up to about 40MB/s write speed.
If your card performs (way) below that speed, SD-UHS won't help.
SD-UHS hack alters the settings of the card writer in your camera, but it only helps if your card is capable of handling those higher writing speeds.

I specially bought a new SD card to make use of the SD-UHS hack. The card that I was using before, maxed out at about 40MB/s writing speed.
And using the highest settings of SD-UHS overclocking, made it even slower, with the overclocking enabled it had max write speed of 21 MB/s.

I'm using a SANDISK EXTREME PRO SD UHS-I (C10, U3, V30) now and it's giving me about 65-70MB/s write speed, that is with SD-UHS overclock option.

As far as I know, the SD-uhs overclocking is reasonable save to use. As long as you click this option, be sure to wait till it's finished.
While the hack is testing/initializing (blinking card reader led) you must wait and do nothing in ML.
When card reader led stops blinking, all is set and you're ready to go.
There are also automated LUA scripts out there to enable the SD-UHS hack automatically at startup, but that's the tricky solution that is warned for.
Better enable SD-UHS option manually every time, chances of screwing up your SD card are a lot smaller in that case.

Here's the thread about SD-UHS hack, if you want to know all that is about and risks involved, read all 12 pages:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12862.msg185968#msg185968

I have uhs card and it's only getting about 20MB/s write it used to get about 40 or so, Idk if it's the camera or the card but my guise is that it's the card, it's only two years old, but still it shouldn't be this slow. it's been slower than my none uhs card. I'll have to buy a new one I think.  Without compression it used to be able to do 720p raw, now it can only do 720p continuous with 11bit lossless. ;)