Timelapsing with intervalometer, camera keeps switching off

Started by dingdongdingers, June 20, 2018, 12:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingdongdingers

I don't know if this is a ML issue (probably not) but maybe someone has come across it...

Doing a long-term timelapse using the ML intervalometer on 5D3. The camera is powered by the mains. It appears to switch off after about 15 hours (twice so far). Switching the camera off and on again resets it, and all is ok.

Is there a limitation built into the software somewhere?

Thanks for any advice/input.

a1ex

Build version and exact settings, so I can try to reproduce?

(I did capture timelapse sequences longer than 24 hours in the past, without such issues)

dingdongdingers

Going to come back to you on this - have noticed something that may be causing it. Investigating.

dingdongdingers

It looks like the camera is seeing the mains 'battery' as, well, a battery, and the percentage slowly goes down. Switching it off and on again immediately gets it back to 100%.
Have no idea where the problem may lie, or how to fix it  :-\

a1ex

I've seen different icons when using mine (original AC-E6). Right now it shows a plain battery icon with 4 bars and is reported as DR-E6 in Canon menu; ML prints 100% and shows 3 green dots. I've also seen a dedicated AC icon which looked somewhat like an empty battery (without bars), but don't know how to recreate it.

Even if I unplug the adapter for 0.5 seconds or so, the camera remains on and the icon doesn't change.

Don't remember seeing the percentage going down though.

Battery status is handled by the MPU (secondary CPU) and I don't currently have the knowledge to alter it.

Got an idea. If you call camera.reboot() from a Lua script, does it reset the "battery" percentage? If yes, you know what you have to do. Use the lua_fix experimental build to try this.

Another idea: ML is polling the battery status every 10 seconds. The adapter firmware might be decrementing its internal battery "charge" counter with each query performed by the camera. Does the camera turn off with plain Canon firmware? If it doesn't, it's probably this.