Exposure Compensation during Video! (via arrow shortcuts)

Started by Rehaan, August 20, 2012, 02:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rehaan

Hi guys,

Hear me out :

1) Canon has "Exposure compensation" in its regular menu for the Movie mode. However, its hard to reach and can't be changed on the fly.

2) Magic lantern has these cool "Arrow / SET Shortcut" keys for things like Audio gain, ISO, LCD brightness

Why not allow exposure compensation in movie mode as one of the Arrow shortcuts?

Most of us shoot in Manual Exposure mode, however, we shoot in Auto ISO. Its just convenient, and less to worry about - rather than constantly having to change ISO as well as focus, etc etc.

This exposure compensation adjustment will let us be more creative when shooting things like silhouettes etc, and will make it easy!

Thanks,
R

Leon

Hey, I just logged in to request the same thing!

There are four times when I consider it exposure compensation during video essential:

1. When I am in front of the camera and the lighting may change (eg an interview outside, or even daylight through a window).
2. When it is hard to judge or manually manage exposure (eg outside in bright light without a loupe, or action shots where it is difficult to move with your eye against the loupe)
3. When panning from a dark area to a light area and you need it to adjust automatically.
4. Home/family movies when you just don't want to mess around with ISO, or want to let someone else record with your camera.

And a fifth time when Expo Comp can trump Manual ISO:

(5.)  As far as I can see, there is no way to gently change between ISOs in manual mode.  If the lighting changes I just have to suddenly jump up or down a whole ISO step!  (And yes I could buy a ND-fader but then I'll have to use higher ISOs and get more noise.)

I normally have no intention of changing aperture (or shutter speed) during recording so I'd happily remap expo comp to one of those, but arrow keys may be even better

Sometimes I end up using full Auto but then there are problems with shutter speed and even aperture changing during recording.  I sometimes resort to very slightly unclipping the lens from the body to stop it changing the aperture value, but then there's no autofucus (before recording) and setting the aperture before using the DOF preview button whilst unclipping is a hassle, and I'm worried about dropping the lens.

PS : @Rehaan : I find that the "exposure compensation" in the Canon menu makes no difference to videos or photos during Manual exposure mode with auto ISO, on the Canon 550D.  Are you finding it makes a difference?

a1ex

To implement this, one needs to rewrite Auto ISO from scratch.

Leon

Is there any way to pretend to it that the shutter speed or aperture is a different value?

Would there be any way to somehow hack the Auto-exposure movie mode to force it to use a certain shutter speed?

Thanks.