Trouble with CF Card writing speed - 5D Mk.II

Started by teopimenta, June 07, 2018, 12:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teopimenta

Good evening, everyone!

As of today, I was trying to set up my used 5D Mark II to do some raw video. I've got a brand new Lexar 1066x 32GB and was looking forward to it, since I've read that many people had good results with this card.
However, as I would set up the raw recording, my camera would struggle to create files longer than 6 seconds, on 1856x790.
The write speed wouldn't go over 20MB/s, and so I am extremely confused and frustrated as if I've made any mistakes setting ML up or anything like that.

Has anyone experienced something like that? Any ideas as what I can do?
Thanks in advance for everyone and excuse my anglais.

ewinemiller

Sounds like you're recording to the sdcard. It's limited by the controller.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

reddeercity

@ewinemiller did you really read what @teopimenta said ?

Quote from: teopimenta on June 07, 2018, 12:25:03 AM
As of today, I was trying to set up my used 5D Mark II  .......

Quote from: teopimenta on June 07, 2018, 12:25:03 AM
....... I've got a brand new Lexar 1066x 32GB ..........

To be more helpful ! read the whole post .

@teopimenta you need to post more info on the setting from the cf card
are you trying to record at 30p ? did you do a bench mark test in cam and or on your pc or mac
there many fake memory card out there , did you buy it on line? you should be around 68-75MB/s
I have a couple of the Lexar 1066x 32GB & a couple of the 64GB lexar 1066x cf cards and all have write speed
more then 75MB/s  which is good enough for 1856x928 @23.976 plus audio 44.1khz  continuous
and in 3x crop_mode 2048x872 @ 23.976+audio 14bit

if you would like to try the highly experimental bleeding edge 10-12bit raw video for 5D2
thou 3x crop_mode is broken just work in 1:1 FHD and i'm able to record 12bit 1856x1044 @23.976 + audio continuous
write speed is only around 60MB/s & 10bit 1856x1248 @23.976 + audio
https://bitbucket.org/reddeercity/magic-lantern_10-12bit/downloads/magiclantern-10_12bit_broken_3xcrop_mode_2017Dec10.5D2212.zip
Also only work in analog ISO's (100 ,200,400,800,1600) with digital ISO's (160,320,500, etc...) will freeze up liveview then a battery pull is needed to unlock cam
I just finished a few new's story with my 5d2 with this experimental build with out any problems.

teopimenta

Hey! Thanks for the reply.

I tried doing the FPS override, so my videos are all coming out in 24p. I also turned off audio recording since it's not in my priorities right now.
I tried benchmarking the card on the camera, and the results are here.

Yeah, the card is doing absolutely nothing. I should probably try and get a new one, since I don't think the problem is in the camera itself.
Well... damn. What a bummer. But thanks anyway for the reply!

ewinemiller

Quote from: reddeercity on June 09, 2018, 09:26:34 AM
@ewinemiller did you really read what @teopimenta said ?

To be more helpful ! read the whole post .

Yeah, I did and have made the same goof. With the non-experimental ML, it will write the RAW to the card you have selected for writing. A 1066x CF should write fine, a SD card will give the exactly the results described and benchmark the low numbers.

@teopimenta, been a while since I had a Mark II, but when you press the Q button, there is a spot near the lower right that selects which card to write to. Make sure the compact flash is selected, not the SD Card. I believe its the top one. Another thing to try is benchmark the card on a computer over a USB3 compact flash card reader. If it runs that slow everywhere you might have a counterfeit.

Walter Schulz

Canon EOS 5D Mark II doesn't have an SD-card interface ...

ewinemiller

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 10, 2018, 10:19:28 PM
Canon EOS 5D Mark II doesn't have an SD-card interface ...

It really has been a long time since I had a Mark II. My bad.