Canon EOS M Flamenco - SD UHS card hack - 2.5k raw

Started by alpicat, June 02, 2018, 07:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpicat

Here's a new test I've done using @Danne's May 23rd build with the SD UHS overclock hack module on the EOS M.

Recording 2520x1080 resolution 12-bit lossless raw, using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s 64gb SD card. The max write speed I'm getting in benchmarks with this card is 55mb/s. Recording time varies a lot depending on what's in the frame (high contrast and highlights shortens recording time considerably). With a higher max write speed I'm sure recording times would be continuous at 12 bit.

This was recorded during warm weather of around 26 degrees C. I didn't let my camera get above 42 degrees C.

See this thread for more info about this module: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12862.0

goldenchild9to5

Melvin Jose

alpicat

Liveview is realtime when global draw is off or if you select real-time preview from the raw menu when global draw is on. However this is in 5x magnification crop mode, so the liveview preview is zoomed in 5x from the 1.6x crop aps-c sensor (i.e. 8x crop compared to 35mm full frame). At a resolution of 2520x1080 the crop factor of the video recorded is 3.33x compared to 35mm full frame. So what you see on screen is zoomed in more than twice than what's recorded, which makes proper framing tough, but it's real time and in colour. If you half press the shutter button you get a pixelated and slow framerate preview of the correct frame which is useful for composing a shot.

Do the other eos cameras work the same way in 5x magnification crop mode? My 50D is the same, only the preview is in b&w, not colour.

fortymileswest

Great video, how did you embed it into the forum post? I'm wanting to share some of my Vimeo videos

alpicat

Here's some more footage from the flamenco event a few weeks back!

@fortymileswest thanks. With youtube videos you have to write
   it's probably the same with vimeo?