Let's restore camera help (Help needed)

Started by Erik Krause, May 31, 2018, 09:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik Krause

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 18, 2019, 12:31:49 PM
"<nowiki></nowiki> for special character ">"

This should not be necessary, at least not in the place where you used it.

Walter Schulz

It was only necessary before I corrected pravdomil's typo ... ;-)

Focus Stacking almost complete. Missing: Help text for Focus Settings/steps
Auto Exposure edited. Missing: Help for EC settings.

My status:
Won't do big edits in the near future, esp. will not work on HDR.
Response from readers (apart from chris_overseas, kudos!) was underwhelming...
Going to prepare "Magic Lantern 101", I suppose.

OlRivrRat

"Response from readers (apart from chris_overseas, kudos!) was underwhelming..."

@Walter

I just discovered this morn' that this Project was happening due to, for some odd reason,

glancing @ the Tiny Type @ the very bottom of 1 of Your posts on the 80D thread. Wondering

how anything other Underwhelming Response can be Expected if Underwhelming Advertising is

all that is used to let readers know the Project is Under Way ~

Also, 'til Just Now, Had No Idea that "User Guide thread for the latest nightlies" Thread Existed.

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Walter Schulz

Which steps do you recommend to end lack of advertising?

OlRivrRat

Since I am not In The Know about the Behind The Scenes / Inner-Workings of the ML Site

& how the Hero Members Communicate, I'm really Not Sure.

Perhaps some means by which Info that is Pertinent to All ML Users could be posted in a BulletinBoard

type Thread that would be then be Automatically Posted to All Threads SiteWide.

Erik Krause

The most prominent place would probably be the in-camera help itself, which currently says: "Help files not found".  The text is apparently in menuhelp.c and seems easy to change. But what exactly should we write there? Currently it is
    bmp_printf(FONT_CANON, 10, 20, "Help files not found");

bmp_printf(FONT_MED, 10, 150, "Magic Lantern help files could not be found.              ");

bmp_printf(FONT_MED, 10, 200, "Make sure all ML files are installed to your card.        ");

bmp_printf(FONT_MED, 10, 250, "See http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install for instructions. ");

On the other hand, long-time ML users are probably so used to having no help that they will never see it. And they are exactly the ones we want.....

Audionut

Maybe a1ex or g3gg0 could replace the dropbox news link at the top of the forum.

OlRivrRat

The Issue, as I see It, is with Threads such as This 1 that are not Camera Specific & so therefore might

go Unnoticed by those among Us who would normally visit ML just to see what's happening with development

for Their Camera. There should be a means by which Someone Who has Info About or is Requesting Assistance

With, a Topic/Project that is Non Cam Specific, can Get The Word Out / Make an Announcement, SiteWide.

Does the ML Forum have the ability to send an EMail to all Those Who have put Their E'Dress in Their Profile?

Walter Schulz

I don't think this is an option.
a) May violate EU "General Data Protection Regulation"
b) imagening myself as a random non-regular user receiving such an email ... I would pretty much feel disturbed and rather deactivate my account. Wouldn't hurt a bit, other ML services are available for non-members without restriction. (Which btw I appreciate a lot!).
EU citizens got a ton of email notifications and opt-in messages last year ... see a)

Michael Hardy

Not sure if this is still monitored...

I went to make some updates to the camera-help wiki. It seemed there had been no updates since February 2019.

Some of the updates I made seem to have been removed within hours of me making them.

GNUE4

Can I make/translation a 简体中文 magic lantern user guide on magic lantern wiki? ;)

Walter Schulz

You can but we are not able to support it. In fact we advice against it. We discussed multi-language support and maintenance but have not found a way preventing orphaned and outdated help files.

GNUE4

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 26, 2022, 02:17:17 PM
You can but we are not able to support it. In fact we advice against it. We discussed multi-language support and maintenance but have not found a way preventing orphaned and outdated help files.
Hmm,I have plenty of time to update these translationed wiki :)

Whr

Quote from: WBOX4 on March 26, 2022, 03:19:52 PM
Hmm,I have plenty of time to update these translationed wiki :)

如果有需要的话,我也可以提供帮助
500D 1.1.1 & X-T3

GNUE4

Quote from: Whr on March 27, 2022, 06:29:45 AM
如果有需要的话,我也可以提供帮助
我把翻译了一半的faq丢在playground里了,你可以看一看然后给我一些建议 https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/playground:playground

Whr

Quote from: WBOX4 on March 27, 2022, 05:33:26 PM
我把翻译了一半的faq丢在playground里了,你可以看一看然后给我一些建议 https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/playground:playground
来了来了
500D 1.1.1 & X-T3

kitor

Quote from: Whr on March 28, 2022, 04:34:57 AM
来了来了

Ale wiecie że to publiczne, angielskie forum i nie każdy ma ochotę czytać wasze posty przez tłumacza Google?

/s

[e]
I just realized that they may not even have access to any translation service that will unveil the message above. Oh well.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.