Adobe is garbage. Alternatives?

Started by 50mm1200s, May 28, 2018, 02:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allemyr

Quote from: Kharak on June 11, 2018, 11:25:27 PM
I suppose you are using that Super Scale mode introduced in Resolve 15?

But at 1:25 in your video, those hills in the background, edging from the overexposure. Could you try putting that sequence through ACR? Because, those Edge burning-artifacts is something I see a lot in Resolve. Especially Artificial light sources will burn purple/black at their sources or on or around anything obscuring the light source, generating this harsh digital burn. It personally takes me out of a story seeing those. Perhaps some masking and Colour Pickering could fix it.

For me its all in the details. Might not matter to others and most likely not to the end-viewer.

Thinking of getting Neat Video for Resolve, but I don't know how well it deals with bad debayering. Its incredible for NR and detail preservation.

Hi, yes I agree on those, they are not beatiful those edges. Will check those I might be sharpening in the wrong way.

Yes its the Super Scale feature.

Skip Neat Video, not useful. Debayering is something else then noise. The debayering problem occured because of bad sharpening mostly. Will upload a short one.
And Neat Video takes ages to process an image with, really slow.

About me doing a comparision with After Effects vs Resolve, it wouldn't be fair since I don't really use Adobe Camera RAW since many years.
And those edges, becomes visible during upscale and heavy grading, which I don't know how to do in Adobe.

Will upload to youtube and post here, when I changed the sharpening

allemyr

Changed my settings in the "Super Scale" rollout so here is another one.

More sharpening

Less sharpening

More sharpening

Less sharpening

Screenshots is from Youtube.

ibrahim

Quote from: Kharak on June 10, 2018, 06:10:29 PM
Same here, i also noticed the jump zooming on random shots and cant figure out why.

Also ACR simply has the better debayering. In some instances in Resolve the bayer pattern becomes visible if there is a lot of detail in a shot, mostly in crop_rec footage. Also in low light footage, resolve has a lot of FPN.

But resolve is 100x faster and I see myself more and more dropping AE for different projects because it litterally is 100x faster to deliver.

True the debayering in ACR is exceptional.

Did you get the jumps while editing the cinemaDNGs or an intermediate prores version?
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

allemyr

Ok. Maybe a bit offensive for the community here as I know most of the people use the Adobe suite exclusivly. But I would say that debayering is equal as good in Resolve. Those all screen captures is cropped to 1:1 pixel from a video that is originally upscaled from 1080p to UHD/4k.

I think UHD/4k is superior as a end product right now, mostly because Youtube compress it less then 1080p that was one of the reasons I went with that workflow.
Could anyone guide me in what step I should to the upscale in ACR in AE? I can't change the resolution of my DNG, or should I do it in the composition settings?

masc

Quote from: ibrahim on June 12, 2018, 06:30:59 PM
True the debayering in ACR is exceptional.

I can't agree at all! Debayering was the reason I went away from ACR. I don't know if it works better for other cameras, but for clips from my 5D2 it was a real desaster! Resolve is way better! ACR had much more moiree artefacts and something like a (around 50x50 pixels) grid, which was invisible for static clips and which was visible for dynamic clips with much detail. I never saw that on any other software.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: allemyr on June 12, 2018, 10:22:27 PM
Could anyone guide me in what step I should to the upscale in ACR in AE?
To be honest, AE, (not ACR), has "Detail preserving upscale" for a long time.
And on topic:
No, Adobe is not a garbage they are very mature and feature reach set of tools,
but too hungry for money and ACR is painfully slow with RAW.
And Resolve is on pair in quality with RAW since v12 but chews it in realtime on good GPU.
And the core functionality is Free!!!
Yes, and Adobe development is completely stalled, while Resolve evolves rapidly.
Literally, every time i read description for the new Adobe release, i only yawn.
On the opposite, for example, as long as i start to include VFX in my projects, BM added Fusion functionality.
Simply incredible.

Kharak

Quote from: ibrahim on June 12, 2018, 06:30:59 PM
Did you get the jumps while editing the cinemaDNGs or an intermediate prores version?

When I edit cinema/DNG's it will randomly crop in on certain shots. I thought it had something to do with the mixture of the source footage, like I've been having 3.5k, crop_rec 60p, 16:9, 3:2 on the same timeline. But why it punches in in the middle of the shots I dont understand.

@allemyr

There is quite the difference between the debayering. Esecially crop_rec footage, like 3.5k and other higher resolutions.

I was exclusively using After Effects for outputting intermediate Cineform files which I then graded in Resolve. And there is no question about it ACR via after effects does not produce any of the artifacts Resolve does, also ACR suppresses FPN on a whole other level.

For upscaling in AE, I think the best way is to make the composition the size you want, transform 'Fit to frame Width' click bicubic scaling on your footage in the Comp "Timeline", its better than applying the effect 'detail preserving uscale' because some plugins will look past that effect and its harder to make precise upscaling with the Detail preserving effect aswell.

In my opinion, Adobe sat on the throne for too long. Building on ancient source codes for their software and then had the balls to switch to a subscription... Also for me it personally was infuriating, after spending 3000$ on the production suite for them to annouce 2 months later the subscription payment and In return I got 1 year half price on the subscription... Like what the fuck... But I still continued using it because I had to and Adobe knows that, like thousands of others that have made adobe part of their workflow, Adobe gets to suck money every month. "But in return you get the newest versions".. What is really NEW since 2012? Lumetri, with its abysmal colours and hightlight clipping? Adobe's ridiculous support.. Try contacting them about anything and enjoy a lenghty conversation with Rajesh, Shiva and Rajjal (no offence to Indians), but being reconnected with so many people copy+pasting the same "solutions" which you spend 2 hours explaining is not the issue.. Naah fuck Adobe, thats when I quit my subsciption. Adobe is garbage and luckily Resolve came to the rescue. Since I quit that cloud of dump, the Sun shines brighter every day, the birds sing louder and I am happier not supporting that corporation.

Sorry for the rant.
once you go raw you never go back

allemyr

Quote from: Kharak on June 13, 2018, 11:17:58 AM
@allemyr

I was exclusively using After Effects for outputting intermediate Cineform files which I then graded in Resolve. And there is no question about it ACR via after effects does not produce any of the artifacts Resolve does, also ACR suppresses FPN on a whole other level.

Well I agree on my first upload that the edges in strong light doesn't look good. I went with other settings on post #26, and am very satisfied with that quality of the image. Fixed pattern noise is something that comes from the camera sensor it can be denoised. Shure you can see it on the last shot on the video but that shot is 4 years old and maybe underexposed 2.5 stops.

With the second upload I'am very happy with the quality especially when viewed on a 4k display. Maybe we have different preferences, but I find that quality good. And I haven't seen much good footage from these ML cameras lately everything is extremly compressed with artifacts on different vimeo and youtube uploads that I've found from others.

The only thing desturbing me now is that I'am not shure if my EF 100 IS lens has an image stabilizer that works correctly, it's quite shaky footage.

I was trying ACR in AE, but didn't get it to work without too much effort, for me it really doesn't matter anyways since I found my workflow with Resolve and I like the quality that comes out now :)

Kharak

I am not trying to persuade anyone either way. I am stating my experience with both. Resolve is awesome, it just doesn't debayer at the same quality as ACR. But I have not tried v15 and super scale, maybe there is some new magic there.

Regarding FPN, yes it comes from the sensor and again, ACR's Debayering simply handles it better. I am not talking about noise reduction or sharpening in ACR, they should all be set to Zero.
once you go raw you never go back

qqqavi

Quote from: Tony Weller on May 28, 2018, 05:58:29 PM
+1 and it's free and chews through DNG files like nothing, free version has no de-noise or sharpening but you can use
CinemaDNG for that and is currently free also, recent update enables loading of MLV files directly

Win win

You're saying that Resolve is now accepting mlv directly?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

allemyr

Quote from: qqqavi on August 06, 2018, 08:53:41 PM
You're saying that Resolve is now accepting mlv directly?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I'am pretty shure they talk about another application, i think its called ... can't remember the name, but its not resolve.

Why would it change things if Davinci Reoslve could read MLV files? Not really a problem at all to convert from MLV to CDNG with sound that is easily synced automatically. That raw2cdng i use 1.6.1 is crazy fast and process a 1 minute clip in under 10 seconds.

No this isn't a issue to be solve, it so easy, almost the same as or exctly the same as moving MLV files from memory card to folder on your computer.

ibrahim

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on June 13, 2018, 06:31:31 AM
To be honest, AE, (not ACR), has "Detail preserving upscale" for a long time.
And on topic:
No, Adobe is not a garbage they are very mature and feature reach set of tools,
but too hungry for money and ACR is painfully slow with RAW.
And Resolve is on pair in quality with RAW since v12 but chews it in realtime on good GPU.
And the core functionality is Free!!!
Yes, and Adobe development is completely stalled, while Resolve evolves rapidly.
Literally, every time i read description for the new Adobe release, i only yawn.
On the opposite, for example, as long as i start to include VFX in my projects, BM added Fusion functionality.
Simply incredible.

No doubt about the fact that resolve is faster and its VFX has evolves quickly especially with a strong GPU. But if image quality is your concern AE beats resolve. I've tested both in many footages and the difference is noticeable.

Yes AE is slow since it is RAM-hungry. But AE can be used in a smarter way. I've used it for a several years now and for the past 8 months or so mastered a perfect workflow due to how RAM-hungry the software is.

Import the cDNG inside AE via ACR. Then drag and drop the footage into composition. Select the cDNG file and select create proxy video. In the export settings choose quicktime cineform (quality 3) and half the resolution or even lower depending on your system. This will create proxies which will easy load for playbacks and it is very fast. No intermediate conversion/render is required; straight cDNG 14-bit uncompressed into AE.

Do the editing with the proxy on. Then when you want to color grade uncheck the box to inactive the proxy to see in max quality while color correcting/grading. At the end uncheck the box besides each cDNG file to inactive the proxy, select CAPS LOCK (to speed up the rendering) and render to cineform, prores or DNxHD depending if you're in mac/PC.

If this method is now fast for playback then the SSD configuration, RAM or something else should be better structered.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: ibrahim on February 11, 2019, 12:57:57 AM
Do the editing with the proxy on. Then when you want to color grade...
Sorry, but according to wikipedia:
"Adobe After Effects is a digital visual effects, motion graphics, and compositing application ...
can be used for keying, tracking, compositing and animation."
No words about "editing" or "color grade".

ilia3101